The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Dr_KY 01-09-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 533146)
Pat:

The harbor freight unit says "Sprays light, medium and heavy stain, varnish, and latex."

The other unit mentions "metalworking" Rather vauge.

Spray painting cars usually entails pretty high flows and pressures.

So please enlighten me.

HVLP is used for painting cars ect. as far as my understanding and is law in California. High Volume Low Pressure. You wouldn't want high pressure when you are so close to something you are painting. I'll be going the rattle can route with mine to keep cost down.

cardiac_cadet002 01-09-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DryCreek (Post 532681)
After reading this complete post, I was wondering if there is now a consensus on the size of the charcoal basket? 15"diameter x 6" high seems to be popular. Any others that work well?

Rob

the size of the charcoal basket is totally up to you, you just want to be sure that 1, it can hold at least 10 lbs minimum (IMHO) of fuel i.e charcoal, lump, etc, and 2, it is small enough to place into the bottom of the drum without having to fight the bolts that hold the grates in place. My basket is 18" wide by 6" high and it accomplishes both of those.

gotwood 01-09-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 533441)
HVLP is used for painting cars ect. as far as my understanding and is law in California. High Volume Low Pressure. You wouldn't want high pressure when you are so close to something you are painting. I'll be going the rattle can route with mine to keep cost down.

If you are going to buy something to paint, get an air assisted pump.
It will keep overspray down to a minimum, which means less product loss.
Not to mention the finish will be much better. check out Kremlin products

Norcoredneck 01-09-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotwood (Post 533501)
If you are going to buy something to paint, get an air assisted pump.
It will keep overspray down to a minimum, which means less product loss.
Not to mention the finish will be much better. check out Kremlin products

Hvlp is a great transfer method. Not near the overspray that regular spreay guns use. I bought mine to do patio furniture. We have one of these at work and it worked great (more expensive of course). I went to get a water filter for my compressor and they had this. lot easier and more efficient than my Binks. No long air hose needed. I painted metal pool fence srctions also. Great tool to have. I also used it to spray doors, lot's easier than brush and better finish. Now back to drums.

CajunSmoker 01-09-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 533144)
So I got one of the Kettle Grills from Sears and the lid is to small, it sits right on top of the drum. So does "cut the roll off the top" make the outside diameter enough smaller for the Kettle lid to fit over the drum? And if it does, what are the options for how to make a clean cut on the roll?

I cut the top off mine with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. I could have done a much better job if I had of had some metal blades for my jigsaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 533216)
I would be very cautious about cutting the entire top roll off of the drum. I think it adds a lot to the structural stiffness of the drum. IMHO you are much better off using an angle grinder to grind down the roll until the Weber lid fits snugly. That is what I did on my second UDS. Maybe someone who has cut the roll off will chime in...

You are probably right Gator. I jumped ahead and cut the top off mine without thinking of the possible consequences. However, I did my burn in this afternoon and so far everything looks ok.:-D

Here are some pics of the burn out.:biggrin:
I bought a $4 bag of mesquite. I never cook on it but it is hot chit.
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2...0384da9.th.jpg
Here is the barrel in full blaze and you can see the seam holding ok. You can also see the jagged top that I still have to grind down:oops:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8...0383zz9.th.jpg

And here it is from the top view:icon_cool
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8...0385mt3.th.jpg

chinesebob 01-09-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 533514)
Hvlp is a great transfer method. Not near the overspray that regular spreay guns use. I bought mine to do patio furniture. We have one of these at work and it worked great (more expensive of course). I went to get a water filter for my compressor and they had this. lot easier and more efficient than my Binks. No long air hose needed. I painted metal pool fence srctions also. Great tool to have. I also used it to spray doors, lot's easier than brush and better finish. Now back to drums.

Could you use it to paint walls? I hate painting rooms and my wife is constantly trying to get me to repaint the rooms.

Kremlin is a good product? I will be looking into these.

gotwood 01-09-2008 08:07 PM

http://www.ekremlin.com/Main/Literat...X_Brochure.pdf

Didnt look through the whole catalog, but at least the guns for Airmix are in here....not sure about the pumps.
I use a pump in my shop for spraying cabinets. But I could take the pump anywhere I want...all I need is some filtered air at about 50psi. The pump is the size of a carryon suitcase. Page 3 actually shows some of the pumps, but companies built these into portable units...if i can get photos i will

SmokeWatcher 01-09-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 533216)
I would be very cautious about cutting the entire top roll off of the drum. I think it adds a lot to the structural stiffness of the drum. IMHO you are much better off using an angle grinder to grind down the roll until the Weber lid fits snugly. That is what I did on my second UDS.

Maybe someone who has cut the roll off will chime in...

That's what I ended up doing on mine...cutting the entire lip off. The Weber lid fits perfectly now, but it does present an edge you may have to file and be mindful of. I haven't noticed any loss of structural integrity either, it's still plenty rigid, but if I was to lay it down and roll it that might be a different story.

gotwood 01-10-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesebob (Post 533522)
Could you use it to paint walls? I hate painting rooms and my wife is constantly trying to get me to repaint the rooms.

Kremlin is a good product? I will be looking into these.

I've used tens of different types/manufactures....I wont use anything but Kremlin Airmix

But you would not use this to paint walls with, they do have other products though

Mark 01-10-2008 03:34 PM

I looked at the Kremlin brochure. Stuff looks pricey.

Let's not forget; these are Ugly Drum Smokers. I say keep them ugly!

Trying to make them pretty is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ugly is beautiful; pass it on.

gotwood 01-10-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 534110)
I looked at the Kremlin brochure. Stuff looks pricey.

Let's not forget; these are Ugly Drum Smokers. I say keep them ugly!

Trying to make them pretty is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ugly is beautiful; pass it on.

If you had beautiful custom finishes you would have a much much larger possible customer base.
would even go higher with artistic drawings etc on the drums.

But price-wise....Depending on the gun you chose and a lower volume portable pump would run about $1600

gotwood 01-10-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 533517)
I cut the top off mine with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. I could have done a much better job if I had of had some metal blades for my jigsaw.



Here are some pics of the burn out.:biggrin:
I bought a $4 bag of mesquite. I never cook on it but it is hot chit.
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2...0384da9.th.jpg
Here is the barrel in full blaze and you can see the seam holding ok. You can also see the jagged top that I still have to grind down:oops:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8...0383zz9.th.jpg

And here it is from the top view:icon_cool
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8...0385mt3.th.jpg

How close is the fit for the weber lid??

My fix would be to get a somewhat "flexible" piece of steel...maybe 1/8" thick x 2 or 3" tall then either weld it to the inside of the drum or use some type of fasteners(stainless rivets) keep one inch or so of the metal band above the lip on drum.

broschultz 01-10-2008 04:25 PM

I have several drums I am preparing for members of the family. I found that one drum with a flat rim is a perfect fit for the weber tops. The rounded ones I have to grind down. In the future I will try to get drums with flat rims.

Norcoredneck 01-10-2008 05:53 PM

If you check your drum Weber lids fit most bottoms. I flipped mine over and cut the bottom out using a drum deheader and kept the band clamp and top on as bottom. An added bonus is that when it gets scruddy inside I can take bottom (old top) off and power wash cyllinder and bottom real well.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_2437.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_2438.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ck/Valve-1.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_2604.jpg

Beerwolf 01-10-2008 06:04 PM

Seems to be an awfull lof of work removing the rolled edge when all you really need to do is take a crescent wrench and use it to "tweak" the edge of the webber lid and it will fit over and seal pretty well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.