The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77439)

jacob 02-03-2010 08:32 AM

I like the new button Phil.

BobBrisket 02-03-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1166256)
Admin note:

one more time.

it seems some folks have chosen to take this thread to an extreme opposite of what I intended and scatter snide comments in other threads in qtalk and comp. If anyone needs it spelled out again, I did NOT say not to post pics, I simply said its OK if you don't.

Our member base grows every day, and this thread as well as numerous PMs to me on this subject has proven that the we were right in our thought process in that folks were either intimidated or are just NOT posting because they don't have photos. That is NOT how we operate. No one should feel uncomfortable here, especially when it comes to sharing information. In the case of our photos in posts, we want both.. posts with photos AND photoless posts. That is NOT unreasonable. For those that normally post pics, great, and thank you, but for those that were sitting on the side lines not posting to avoid being jabbed with a fork for being photoless, pleasenow feel free to post your experiences, sans photos.

Im not amused by the sarcasm and jabs being thrown around qtalk regarding this thread. It is not often that I post something as the founder of this forum to adjust our direction or reinforce our culture, and when I do I expect it to be understood and not ridiculed. If you do not like whats is posted here, there are plenty of other forums for you to visit.

If any one person continues to push that envelope, they will find themselves under full moderation until they get the point, where any and all of their posts will need to be reviewed and released by a moderator before it goes public. If it continues, you will be locked out permanently. I hate to be a prick about this, but i don't like anyone poking me in the eye.

On edit.. folks, this is NOT referencing any of the normal OT banter in this thread.

I think we ALL need to be reminded that just because you purchase a subscription or donate to the site does not mean you can say and do as you please. And as Phil stated, regardless of how long you have been a member or how much you have shelled out, "anyone can be fully moderated and locked out." Let's remember that no one is above this. Many times, this type of attitude is what leads to "word wars" and an overall negative attitude. Also, it's worse when the sarcastic remarks and jabs come from members who already know how things run around here. Anyone who has been here for any length of time and knows the atmosphere should actually be setting the tone for new members and setting the example as well.

Probably wasn't my place to say this, but I did anyway cause it seems that from time to time new members (and some not so new ones) join and have this attitude in mind. That kind of attitude DOES NOT represent what this place is all about.
Just my .02.

Bob

P.S. New button is pretty cool. By any chance is there a button with a "different" finger sticking up? Sometimes one of those buttons is needed too................LMAO!! J/K, J/K!!!

Arlin_MacRae 02-03-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 1167388)
I think we ALL need to be reminded that just because you purchase a subscription or donate to the site does not mean you can say and do as you please. And as Phil stated, regardless of how long you have been a member or how much you have shelled out, "anyone can be fully moderated and locked out." Let's remember that no one is above this. Many times, this type of attitude is what leads to "word wars" and an overall negative attitude. Also, it's worse when the sarcastic remarks and jabs come from members who already know how things run around here. Anyone who has been here for a length of time and knows the atmosphere should actually be setting the tone for new members and setting example as well.

Probably wasn't my place to say this, but I did anyway cause it seems that from time to time new members (and some not so new ones) join and have this attitude in mind. That kind of attitude DOES NOT represent what this place is all about.
Just my .02.

Bob

P.S. New button is pretty cool. By any chance is there a button with a "different" finger sticking up? Sometimes one of those buttons is needed too................LMAO!! J/K, J/K!!!

Nicely said, Bob. Thanks! Sometimes the toughest decision for us weenies behind the curtain to make is to chose between letting the members police themselves or jumping in with a machete. From comments I've seen over the years I think we're doing it right, but a lot of it comes from the qualities YOU bring to the board. Sure, some of you (and you can't pay me enough to mention names :biggrin:) need some guidance every once in a while, but we all do sometimes.

Thanks for being the Brethren & Sistern, folks. I really don't think there's a another group like you.

Oh, and please don't let something that bugs you sit and fester. I was really surprised at the number of folks who weren't posting because of the 'no pix' thing. Holler at us, publically or privately, if you need to. That's why we get the big bucks. ;)

Arlin

BRBBQ 02-03-2010 12:50 PM

I'm writting a take on this post and it might be way off. I would like to think if I had joined, donated and bought the subscription that I would feel a little more scure/worry free from getting kicked to the curb because of a few jabbs. Now yes I can understand if a person just blatantly hammers a person day in and day out, member or not, and maybe some people are reading into the comment "NO PICS DIDN'T Happen? I CAll BS" a little slap in their face. I am not one of them by the way, I don't use the comment that often. One of my rescent post got the "NO Pic Didn't happen" comment, but I made light of it, searched the web for a cute little pic and posted on my post, made some folks laugh as I recall. Any way I didn't take the Site Administrator and Grand PooBah comments personal.

Lake Dogs 02-03-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 1167414)
Nicely said, Bob. Thanks! Sometimes the toughest decision for us weenies behind the curtain to make is to chose between letting the members police themselves or jumping in with a machete. From comments I've seen over the years I think we're doing it right, but a lot of it comes from the qualities YOU bring to the board. Sure, some of you (and you can't pay me enough to mention names :biggrin:) need some guidance every once in a while, but we all do sometimes.

Thanks for being the Brethren & Sistern, folks. I really don't think there's a another group like you.

Oh, and please don't let something that bugs you sit and fester. I was really surprised at the number of folks who weren't posting because of the 'no pix' thing. Holler at us, publically or privately, if you need to. That's why we get the big bucks. ;)

Arlin

Kudos to all the moderators!

I hadn't personally experienced much of the word wars and insults
until recently. Sorry, I did (and still have) taken some of it from one
particular person quite personally, and yes, it ticks me off, and yes,
it makes one not want to participate or post again.

I see that some of that nonsense got moderated/removed (including
my pic directed back to him). Thanks.

chambersuac 02-03-2010 01:02 PM

I am glad the Poobah started this thread with his post. This is a great place and the people AND the moderators and Poobah make it that way (yes, I know that the moderators and Poobah ARE people, too). I appreciate the good natured ribbing we give and get here - and all the awesome help. Even if there were NO pictures, this place would still rock!

BBQchef33 02-03-2010 02:19 PM

Maybe im being naive, but I woiuld like to be 100% positive that NPDH, was never meant as a word war, or meant to be viscious. Surely it was always just friendly jabs. Problem was, unless a member has been around and knew that, it was being taken the opposite, and other times it was just 'enuf already', and folks were tired of it. Like Arlin, I am really surprised at how many folks agreed.

Regarding the editing of folks pictures.. I havent seen it, but I can see that torquing some folks. It was pointed out to me once by a moderator, and i believe the photo was taken down by the tweaker(??.. not sure).

Regarding the subscriptions. As most know, it is VERY hard to be 'kicked to the curb' in this forum. Aside from Spammers, we have officially banned only 4 members in 7 years who repeatedly ignored warnings or insisted on doing as they please. There must be serious infractions of our rules, and blatent disregard for moderators guidance. That being said, a subscription does not make anyone immune to action if they disregard the rules, the moderators guidance or our cultural expectations. They will be simply be locked out with their $ back.

BBQ Grail 02-03-2010 03:11 PM

(Please Note: Phil is my hero)

BRBBQ 02-03-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1167672)
Maybe im being naive, but I woiuld like to be 100% positive that NPDH, was never meant as a word war, or meant to be viscious. Surely it was always just friendly jabs. Problem was, unless a member has been around and knew that, it was being taken the opposite, and other times it was just 'enuf already', and folks were tired of it. Like Arlin, I am really surprised at how many folks agreed.

Regarding the editing of folks pictures.. I havent seen it, but I can see that torquing some folks. It was pointed out to me once by a moderator, and i believe the photo was taken down by the tweaker(??.. not sure).

Regarding the subscriptions. As most know, it is VERY hard to be 'kicked to the curb' in this forum. Aside from Spammers, we have officially banned only 4 members in 7 years who repeatedly ignored warnings or insisted on doing as they please. There must be serious infractions of our rules, and blatent disregard for moderators guidance. That being said, a subscription does not make anyone immune to action if they disregard the rules, the moderators guidance or our cultural expectations. They will be simply be locked out with their $ back.

Thats good to know, only 4 members in 7 years. I'd say thats a great low number.

nancee 02-03-2010 07:00 PM

thank you

thanks for telling me the last 10 years really did happen<G>

Rich Parker 02-03-2010 07:13 PM

What happened to the "Thanks" button?

Edit: Nevermind...I used it to much. :cool:

Can I remove someones thanks to my posts? just sayin :twisted:

CajunSmoker 02-03-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA (Post 1166047)
I always look forward to seeing the pics from everyones cooks. I would never want anyone to feel pressure on this, especially if it kept a brother from posting.

As for me, I don't even have a camera. If it weren't for Mrs Mafia I wouldn't have any pics, never mind trying to post them.

Guido, with all your toys you shouldn't ever worry about not havin a camera:-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1167095)
will someone give me the short version of all this. I never read past 2 pages? what happened and where are we?

Pooh said quit with the "no pics didn't happen chit":!: We said "yes sir":cool:

CajunSmoker 02-03-2010 07:22 PM

and I love this farkin new Thanks button:cool:

1_T_Scot 02-03-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1167107)
I've seen this feature on other forums also, so I looked it up and found it. I installed it here tonight and we can give it a test run.

Very Cool thanks! Seems like some folks are already using it. :lol::lol:

blues_n_cues 02-06-2010 08:53 AM

right on boss.
i always try to do pics of my cooks if for no other reason than to add to my cookbook or a calendar i'm working on & it's much easier than reading pages of notes on cooks.

keep up the good work.

landarc 02-06-2010 04:34 PM

Ooo, a 'fark!' button, now that would be fun too.

BBQ Grail 02-06-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1171974)

Just for you...because I care...

http://thebbqgrail.com/wp-content/up...ked-Button.jpg

landarc 02-06-2010 05:21 PM

Ooooo, thank you, I will be using this one soon. Most likely on Bigabyte, or maybe Guerry.

BBQchef33 04-02-2011 12:21 AM

bump

chambersuac 04-02-2011 02:43 PM

PooBah,
Did you bump this because there's an issue again, or just for bump's sake? Just curious.

It's funny - I'm cooking today, but my wife has not unloaded the camera from my daughter's birthday, so no pix today. I was actually gonna post something along the lines of "Simply Marvelous Cherry Pork Loin" no pix, but did happen.

Weird timing....

BBQchef33 04-02-2011 03:39 PM

Theres another post in WP where a member noticed it happening again. i bumped due tot that.

Our membership grows by about 100-150 a week. New folks dont see old threads, so occasional bumps help that. We needed a reminder.

chambersuac 04-02-2011 03:55 PM

Thanks.

Justin Case 04-12-2011 10:34 AM

A Picture is worth a thousand words ,, :)

Bigdog 04-12-2011 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1171974)

How about the FARK brisket?:heh:Attachment 51752
Here is the picture, and yes, it did happen.

badmood 04-18-2011 09:59 PM

Thank you oh great and powerful POOHBAH!!!!

cpw110419zp

NorthwestBBQ 04-18-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1597699)
bump

Yes sir, may I have another! :-P

MilitantSquatter 05-04-2011 11:36 PM

Apparently, this thread needs to be bumped again...

There's at least one repetitive offender who doesn't seem to grasp the concept....

it's getting really tiring... :mad:

Phrasty 05-05-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1598182)
Theres another post in WP where a member noticed it happening again. i bumped due tot that.

Our membership grows by about 100-150 a week. New folks dont see old threads, so occasional bumps help that. We needed a reminder.

Wow... I wouldn't have guessed it was that much. You Mods, doing a good job. Kudos!

Cheers

rhodeje 05-17-2011 12:30 PM

Same thing went on at the Steel Keg forum. Pictures or no Pictures? You want to post a picture of your cook that's great---love pictures! If you cooked it and like telling about it that's great too a picture is not necessary. Besides why would you make it up that you cooked something you didn't. The best thing out of all the cooks is the ideas one gets from the other. Makes a better cook out of you!!:thumb:

bbqbull 06-14-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbormaster (Post 1164840)
The Poobah is wise!

I have dial up for now. PITA to load pics. Thus, no pics from me

I was in the same boat until a few years ago and learned about air cards!

Now I can download photos and upload them as well.:becky::clap2:

NorthwestBBQ 06-14-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 1631022)
Apparently, this thread needs to be bumped again...

There's at least one repetitive offender who doesn't seem to grasp the concept....

it's getting really tiring... :mad:

And who would that be? Is asking for pics the same thing now?

BBQ Grail 06-14-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1674522)

Are you just trying to stir stuff up? Vinny wrote that almost 6 weeks ago.

MilitantSquatter 06-14-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1674522)

Doesn't matter who... it applies to all, yet not everyone seems to follow... and yes, it's basically the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1674545)
Are you just trying to stir stuff up? Vinny wrote that almost 6 weeks ago.

Thanks Larry.

TN_BBQ 06-15-2011 06:10 AM

I'm going to hijack this thread (because I think the subjects share something in common) and make a slight reference to the bacon wrapped meatballs that folks often refer to as moink balls.

I've seen a couple folks come down off their high horse to comment about somebody enjoying their bacon wrapped meatballs. Seems some folks have an issue about capitalization.

Back to your regular scheduled program. :-P

Arlin_MacRae 06-15-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_BBQ (Post 1674733)
I'm going to hijack this thread (because I think the subjects share something in common)

You are incorrect, sir! This is not to devolve into a discussion about moink balls, MOINK balls, or capitalization issues, no matter how much Larry likes it. :becky:
Please. Stay on topic.

chambersuac 06-15-2011 09:07 AM

I just want to be clear on this, so I don't violate the rules. I get we are not to post "No pics, didn't happen" and the like. However, if Larry were to post that he just smoked squirrel in pomegranate juice, if it illegal to ask him if he has pics to post?

'Cause I'd like to see that :)

It was a serious question, though.

TN_BBQ 06-18-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 1674811)
You are incorrect, sir! This is not to devolve into a discussion about moink balls, MOINK balls, or capitalization issues, no matter how much Larry likes it. :becky:
Please. Stay on topic.

I think my point is more similar than you may realize. For one, it didn't take you but about 2 hours to connect the dots and reply with capital letters.

Maybe I need to do a little more research, but I'm not sure I've seen many posts with the word moink in it that somebody didn't chime in about capital letters (and I gathered the point of this thread is to sorta curb folks from chiming in to posts and not necessarily about photos).

I had a great cookout last weekend, but didn't take pictures. Response = no pics, didn't happen

I made some moink balls. Response = make sure you use your capital letters properly

To me, they are very similar (both speak to how folks respond to posts).

This is all subject to interpretation, but so are the no pics, didn't happen comments.

chambersuac 06-18-2011 11:18 AM

You are certainly right in that this has to do with the way people respond to posts. Just not in the way you think, it seems.

When I joined the forum, "No pics, didn't happen" was the norm and was good natured ribbing. I got it many times. I was never offended. Apparently, some were - or some did it abusively, or whatever. So, the Poobah called B.S. Great. I do see it rarely, usually in the Woodpile.

As far as MOINKs, I think that also was good natured ribbing. I have been one of the ones pointed out the fact that CAPITALIZATION is the norm and standard. The man who "invented" them named them, "MOINK Balls" and I think it is a matter of respect to him to do as he asked. If you don't want to call them MOINK balls, then use "bacon wrapped meatballs" or some such.

That being said, I don't know of anyone other than a handful who have had a problem with what is usually a gentle, tongue in cheek correction.

Since I have been asked not to say, "No pics, didn't happen," I don't. If the higher ups here ask us to stop asking for proper capitalization, I will. But, I don't see why people are so sensitive about it. Can someone enlighten me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_BBQ (Post 1677994)
I think my point is more similar than you may realize. For one, it didn't take you but about 2 hours to connect the dots and reply with capital letters.

Maybe I need to do a little more research, but I'm not sure I've seen many posts with the word moink in it that somebody didn't chime in about capital letters (and I gathered the point of this thread is to sorta curb folks from chiming in to posts and not necessarily about photos).

I had a great cookout last weekend, but didn't take pictures. Response = no pics, didn't happen

I made some moink balls. Response = make sure you use your capital letters properly

To me, they are very similar (both speak to how folks respond to posts).

This is all subject to interpretation, but so are the no pics, didn't happen comments.

TN_BBQ 06-18-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambersuac (Post 1678058)
You are certainly right in that this has to do with the way people respond to posts. Just not in the way you think, it seems.

When I joined the forum, "No pics, didn't happen" was the norm and was good natured ribbing. I got it many times. I was never offended. Apparently, some were - or some did it abusively, or whatever. So, the Poobah called B.S. Great. I do see it rarely, usually in the Woodpile.

As far as MOINKs, I think that also was good natured ribbing. I have been one of the ones pointed out the fact that CAPITALIZATION is the norm and standard. The man who "invented" them named them, "MOINK Balls" and I think it is a matter of respect to him to do as he asked. If you don't want to call them MOINK balls, then use "bacon wrapped meatballs" or some such.

That being said, I don't know of anyone other than a handful who have had a problem with what is usually a gentle, tongue in cheek correction.

Since I have been asked not to say, "No pics, didn't happen," I don't. If the higher ups here ask us to stop asking for proper capitalization, I will. But, I don't see why people are so sensitive about it. Can someone enlighten me?

Maybe I am being a little sensitive, but I suspect the "no pics, didn't happen" stuff also started out as ribbing. I KNOW it started out as fun n games and continues to be that way by 99.9% of the folks, but I'm just sayin (if we don't study history, we are doomed to repeat it).

I simply can't get Bobby Valentine and the "I invented the sandwich wrap" out of my head every time I hear somebody go on about the meatballs n bacon. Yes, I know Larry doesn't claim to have invented the bacon wrapped meatball. Guess it's just the fact that lots of folks frequently get so hung up on the capital letters, and that has a way of rubbing me the wrong way at times. Maybe it's their insistence on compliance???? :confused:

Nonetheless, I'm sticking to my guns that there are "some" similarities between the posts about pictures and the capital letters.

BBQchef33 06-18-2011 11:03 PM

ok, I'll make it more clear.....

admin note(Again):

1 -this has NOTHING do with moink, meat balls, or MOINK balls.

2 -RE: 'no pics, didnt happen'.. What started out as some ribbing, progressed into folks abusing it, to the point of other members NOT posting cooks and experiences because they didnt have pictures and just didn't want to here the same old catch phrase. In other words, it got old.. and prevented members from participating. As admin, thats something i wont condone... Admin staff is here to encourage participation and if we see something that negatively effects it, we step in.

2 - Seriously asking for a photo to better envision a posts content is not the same.

3 - The correct or incorrect spelling of a bacon wrapped meatball will not have a negative effect on the forum or stop people from posting overall experiences.. there is no correlation.

bigabyte 06-19-2011 12:03 AM

No MOINK, didn't happen.

BBQ Grail 06-19-2011 12:41 AM

People who can't take a farking joke is why I no longer even open threads that mention bacon wrapped meatballs. If you don't get the humor or are overly sensitive to being teased then bite your tongue and stop screwing stuff up for those who have a sense of humor. The fact that I even got dragged into this discussion is just wrong in so many ways.

Midnight Smoke 06-19-2011 01:10 AM

It's just BBQ! Isn't it supposed to be fun?

accent 09-10-2011 08:35 AM

Hi
Brand new here, and one of the reasons I joined this site is because of reading the "no pic, didnt happen" thread.
You can talk about sense of humor but so many take it too far.
All I want is to discuss bbq and discuss the many facets of it.
I do not care if a pic is posted or not, and I dont want anyone telling me I have to post pics or else I am some kind of pervert or liar.
After all it is a discussion forum, not a picture posting contest.
Also, Ive seen enough ribs, chicken, brisket and pulled port pics to know exactly what they look like. It is the discussion that I am more interested in.
Again, thanks for making it a policy on this forum about pics and what it means.
accent

tish 11-17-2011 09:18 PM

Well, that was... um... er... colorful? Informative? lol FWIW, I won't ever use those words in response to someone else's cook post, but if anyone says it to me... I won't take offense. I love to laugh, and think this whole Q-in' adventure is a hoot. That said, Phil, you and the mods are doing an awesome job. My hat's off to you. :yo:

Tom Walker 12-26-2011 08:19 AM

Smoking your URL

Thanks Grand,
As a noob, I didn't even see the usage clause that required photos.
Y'know what? I was going to post a photo but I don't see how to do it.
If I click on that little yellow tab above it asks me for a url? What the hell is an URL? Where can I buy one?

For crying out load, I'm a cook, not a computer geek. Really, what do I do?

Walker

BBQchef33 12-26-2011 11:49 AM

2 ways to post pics..

in the 'Go advanced' tab of post, go to the bottom.. there is a "manage attachments' button..

usea that button to navigate to the photo on your pc and hit 'upload'. It uploads the photo to our server. There are quotas based on subscription levels for storing photos on our server and using this option chips away at that quota. The photo is appended to the bottom of the post.

the other one is the square thingy up top http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/da...BJRU5ErkJggg==. Upload your photos to photobucket, or some other photo sharing site..when u are on those sites,mthe photos all have a 'url' that can be copied and pasted into the window here. click the http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/da...BJRU5ErkJggg==, and paste the uirl into the window. it will embed the photo in the post wherever u want to position it.

Bigdog 12-27-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1678820)
No MOINK, didn't happen.

You do like livin on edge don't ya Chris. :drama::heh::thumb:

Groundhog66 12-27-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Walker (Post 1892265)
What the hell is an URL? Where can I buy one?

For crying out load, I'm a cook, not a computer geek. Really, what do I do?

Walker

I have a bunch I can supply to you, and accept PayPal, Cash or Money Order...Please let me know if I can assist you further :wink:

inspecchi 02-15-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1678774)
ok, I'll make it more clear.....

admin note(Again):

1 -this has NOTHING do with moink, meat balls, or MOINK balls.

2 -RE: 'no pics, didnt happen'.. What started out as some ribbing, progressed into folks abusing it, to the point of other members NOT posting cooks and experiences because they didnt have pictures and just didn't want to here the same old catch phrase. In other words, it got old.. and prevented members from participating. As admin, thats something i wont condone... Admin staff is here to encourage participation and if we see something that negatively effects it, we step in.

2 - Seriously asking for a photo to better envision a posts content is not the same.

3 - The correct or incorrect spelling of a bacon wrapped meatball will not have a negative effect on the forum or stop people from posting overall experiences.. there is no correlation.

I also quit posting due to the people who would say no pics didn;t happen. Not worth trying to post anything.