The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Chavo27 04-15-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 903207)
You just looking for some encouragement? POST them...

PS: I love the blend of rust and unburned paint on your drum. True art. I wouldn't change a thing.

No I'm not looking for encouragement.. If it ever stops raining here maybe I can get the rest of the paint off. I was going to offer to paint your drum for FREE! Since your such a wise guy your going to have to pay now.
UDS UGLY drum smoker.. the key word is UGLY.. I'm sure your drum is going to be on display at the Smithsonian when your done with it...

Thawley 04-15-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavo27 (Post 903213)
If it ever stops raining here maybe I can get the rest of the paint off.

I was being completely serious. I think it's bitchen. Leave it alone and cook.

akarpf 04-15-2009 07:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little advice. I'm debating where to drill the 8-1/2 holes on the lid for exhaust. Do I need to do it on the outside or more near the center around the handled.

Norcoredneck 04-15-2009 08:16 PM

Eight evenly spaced works great.

Barbarian 04-15-2009 08:39 PM

Hey Chavo, that is one farking ugly drum!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the drumhead nation.
It is fun being a drumhead and the food is good to.

Chavo27 04-15-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 903219)
I was being completely serious. I think it's bitchen. Leave it alone and cook.

Well I took you the wrong way then and I'm sorry..

Chavo27 04-15-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akarpf (Post 902169)
OK. I get sum parts today to build my UDS. I have been reading the threads and i've seen a few people who have the air intake 1" thur 3" off the bottom of the drum. My charcoal basket is 12" high and I do not want the cooking grate right on top of the coals. So may drum has a flat top. How far down should the cooking grate be form the top?

P.S. I take sum pics. go to http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/akarpf/

is your fire ring 1/2" expanded steel?
I took a 51" piece of 3/4" and made it into a cylinder. I see yours is cut in half and bolted together at two locations. I bet this is a hell of allot easier than the fight I went through to get mine together..

Cigarbque 04-15-2009 09:41 PM

My UDS version 2.0 on the right. I still need to add two thermometers and some bling but tonight was her first burn in and chicken cook. I used a Wally World Uniflame dome cover. I have never seen anything from China this cheesy before. Uniflame stuff is total garbage but I dig the hinges on the lid. It was holding temps much better than my version 1.o on the left. I think I'm going to get rid of the smoke stack and go with the eight holes.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/UDS002-1.jpg

Chicken off the UDS. Came out fantastic.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/UDS005-1.jpg

Barbarian 04-15-2009 09:54 PM

Two questions
1. why do you need two thermos?
2. why can't you use the one from V1.0?

Thawley 04-15-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavo27 (Post 903328)
Well I took you the wrong way then and I'm sorry..

S'okay. I get that a lot.

Cigarbque 04-15-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 903414)
Two questions
1. why do you need two thermos?
2. why can't you use the one from V1.0?

On version 2.0 I have two cooking grates. The Spicewine thermo on version 1.0 is bolted in so I can't remove it. On 2.0 I am going to go with the removable 12" turkey fryer thermo mod.

Chavo27 04-16-2009 04:59 AM

Well, as many of you guys know I finished my drum and and my fire ring last night. She's ready to do a few dry runs in... I went out this morning to play around with it. The lid I was going to use off my old charcoal grill doesn't fit right. I was thinking of just using a sheet of wood with the 8 hole method until I can find myself a nice sized dome lid. Is there any reason why a sheet of ply wood or something similar to this wouldn't work?

Norcoredneck 04-16-2009 05:37 AM

Have seen someone use plywood. Worked fine.

Chavo27 04-16-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 903531)
Have seen someone use plywood. Worked fine.

thank you! :smile:

rockyathabaska 04-16-2009 01:04 PM

Plywood drum lid

Charvo,
plywood may be ok for a test burn ,but plywood is made from ureaformaldihyde glue, a known carcinogen.That would put it up there with galvanized fittings as big no no's for drum cookers.
How about a lid made from solid wood ,barn door style?Might even impart some flavour.
go drummers go!
RockyAthabaska
-----------------
UDS
18"weber one touch
weber performer
weber genesis gasser

Chavo27 04-16-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyathabaska (Post 903885)
Charvo,
plywood may be ok for a test burn ,but plywood is made from ureaformaldihyde glue, a known carcinogen.That would put it up there with galvanized fittings as big no no's for drum cookers.
How about a lid made from solid wood ,barn door style?Might even impart some flavour.
go drummers go!
RockyAthabaska
-----------------
UDS
18"weber one touch
weber performer
weber genesis gasser

I might have used galvanized on my intakes I'd better look into this!
Although, their below where the fire will be so would it really matter?

seattlepitboss 04-16-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavo27 (Post 903965)
I might have used galvanized on my intakes I'd better look into this!
Although, their below where the fire will be so would it really matter?

I think a lot of people are way too paranoid about zinc. Here's a telling point: go read the label on your bottle of multi-vitamins. Contains zinc, an essential element for the human body. What do mountain climbers smear all over their faces, a white ointment? Zinc oxide. What is all over every single piece of metal in every playground in the country? Zinc.

People are nervous about zinc because the first day when you weld it without wearing a dust mask, you breathe zinc oxide dust and get flu-like symptoms that disappear as soon as you drink a glass of milk. That's the only health hazard related to zinc I know of. Zinc doesn't melt until it gets to 785°F, and if your air intakes get that hot, your meat is pure carbon and might work as charcoal lump in your next cook!

I think all the fuss about zinc is 99% urban legend.

seattlepitboss

rockyathabaska 04-16-2009 03:37 PM

The galvanized debate lingers on.I'm just padding my side of the issue by not using galv.stuff on my drum.No plywood on mine either......
new info never hurt.
Rocky

Chavo27 04-16-2009 04:52 PM

I just went to the hardware store that I bought the parts form and it's not galvanized

Chavo27 04-16-2009 04:53 PM

lol I do know my washers are zinc.. I guess I can't win...

pinghacker 04-16-2009 07:06 PM

Food grade coating

I am picking up my drum this weekend. It was a food grade lined drum that the lining was burnt out of. In the process of burning, the lid warped and doesn't fit snug. The guy selling the drum told me I could have a lined lid if I wanted it.

I have read that it is important to have a snug fitting lid so I'm sure I'd like to take him up on that.

Question: has anyone removed the lining in a non-burning method? I live in the 'burbs, burning plastic would get me shot by a tree-hugger.

I was thinking a heat gun and scraper, maybe power washer.

Pinghacker

Troy, MI

Norcoredneck 04-16-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chavo27 (Post 904068)
lol I do know my washers are zinc.. I guess I can't win...

Take a torch, burn it off without breating it and wire brush, take muratic acid (pool acid) and dunk them till it quits bubbling and rinse, or build it and don't worry. :mrgreen:

Smokin' D 04-16-2009 07:35 PM

Hey Ping, I just finished my drum and was concerned about the lid also. It does not fit really tightly and it appears as that is OK. The temps were very controllable and I could shut it down and the coals went out even faster than in the WSM. While the cook was in progress little wisps of smoke would come out from under the lid. No biggie. The lid is easily removable with one hand on the handle. Pick it up, set it down. No tugging no pounding. Tight enough.

akarpf 04-16-2009 08:20 PM

Hey Pinghacker. You can use paint stripper ( paint remover ), or sandblast it . Just my 2cents.

masiewiz 04-18-2009 10:19 PM

Temp issues on Frankenstien

3 Attachment(s)
I finished my UDS today minus the green paint which will be next week, named it Frankenstein. I have both a Weber style lid (Not Weber) and the drum lid with 2 bungholes. I'm having trouble getting below 300 degrees with the Weber style lid and 275 with the drum lid. I had all plugs on and the valve nearly closed and was steady at 300. Here are some pictures, notice how closed my intake is. Any advise?

Masiewiz :confused:

Weiser 04-18-2009 10:29 PM

Just a thought here.
Next time shut the intakes down early, like about 10* before you reach your desired temp.
Shut all of them down tight then regulate it with the valve only.
After 30 minutes, if need be, open up one nipple.
Be patient! These adjustments are not instant, it takes a while for the drum to adjust.

These things are all a bit different. Much of the problem is learning
how to build a responsible fire and to duplicate it every time.

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 905596)
I finished my UDS today minus the green paint which will be next week, named it Frankenstein. I have both a Weber style lid (Not Weber) and the drum lid with 2 bungholes. I'm having trouble getting below 300 degrees with the Weber style lid and 275 with the drum lid. I had all plugs on and the valve nearly closed and was steady at 300. Here are some pictures, notice how closed my intake is. Any advise?

Masiewiz :confused:

N8man 04-18-2009 10:49 PM

Small Fire at Startup...I start 14 Briquettes in the Chimney...
Catch Temp on the way up...Harder to control when you overshoot..
Allow 30 minutes for your air intake adjustments to take effect...
Each Drum has it's own Personality..Takes a little time to learn it's perks,
but once learned, will serve you well....:mrgreen:

Thawley 04-18-2009 11:52 PM

Choking your orifice

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 905606)
Catch Temp on the way up...Harder to control when you overshoot..
Allow 30 minutes for your air intake adjustments to take effect...

Yep. What he said.

First time I used my drum I let it get as hot as it would go at first (thinking I needed to be sure it got properly lighted...) Took FOREVER to get it down to 225* after that. Now I kinda know where the air intake wants to be for 225*. I get the coals going in the chimney like N8 says, pour them into the fire basket, put the lid on and choke it down right away. My valve's a little different that y'all's balls, but I bet the sweet-spot has less than 1-square inch of air opening... Pretty damned small hole when everything's where it wants to be.

Smokin' D 04-19-2009 07:30 AM

Weiser, N8man and Thawley speak the truth. Start with a small fire and let the temps creep up, keeping an eye on the temps. They go up pretty quickly. Start with 1 cap off and the vent full open. When the temps get to 200 put on the cap. Wait and see what happens in 15 minutes and start to make small adjustments. In my drum I use lump for the fire but briquettes to start things up. A 1/2 full charcoal basket of lump and wood chunks and 8 to 10 hot briqutees dropped on top of that. Works well for me and the drum runs consistently at 250*

masiewiz 04-19-2009 12:27 PM

Hmmm, That's what I did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 905665)
Weiser, N8man and Thawley speak the truth. Start with a small fire and let the temps creep up, keeping an eye on the temps. They go up pretty quickly. Start with 1 cap off and the vent full open. When the temps get to 200 put on the cap. Wait and see what happens in 15 minutes and start to make small adjustments. In my drum I use lump for the fire but briquettes to start things up. A 1/2 full charcoal basket of lump and wood chunks and 8 to 10 hot briqutees dropped on top of that. Works well for me and the drum runs consistently at 250*

Hey Smokin
That is what I did. I lit 10 coals in my chimney and dumped it in my basket, with one valve open. Do you think it is my top venting? I did get better control with my other drum lid the one with 2 bungholes open, still too hot though. With all the help from you guys on this thread, I'll dial it in.

Masiewiz

Masiewiz

Thawley 04-19-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 905875)
That is what I did. I lit 10 coals in my chimney and dumped it in my basket, with one valve open. Do you think it is my top venting?

Shouldn't matter if the top leaks or not. Combustion air needs to come in from the bottom – my exhaust is wide open and has never had a valve. I can completely smother the fire by closing the intake valves below...

Beerwolf 04-19-2009 01:17 PM

I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?

Norcoredneck 04-19-2009 01:48 PM

Hell I have to flip my computer like you do a book.

Thawley 04-19-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 905893)
I dont know if THIS is the place to post this request... BUT is there any the Moderators or SOMEONE can make the page bar wrap around... it is getting tedious to have to scroll ALL THE WAY OUT to go a page back... anyone else finding that a problem?

I posted a similar request this week in the tech section and have not heard a thing... This thread has gotten pretty unwieldy.

bbqdude 04-19-2009 03:14 PM

New UDS & I need seasoning tips..

Hello, I read most all of this long thread and now have a nice new UDS. I didnt see much on break in or first use. How do I season it? What kind of oil should I use or should I use PAM?? How long do I let it burn in with no food in it. I have a new unlined drum.
Thanks for any tips!

Thawley 04-19-2009 03:27 PM

I used PAM and just ran a full basket of brick through it with the vents wide open. That's hotter than you'll ever get it with food. After it was cool (next day) I did my first cook and haven't touched it since.

sbramm 04-19-2009 03:31 PM

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/v...7.jpg&newest=1ok, so yesterday i drove about 4293.874 miles to go get drums that were already incinerated and sand blasted. well, ok, only 110 miles each way. and i did get to meet smokin' d (aka - richard) who has the coolest mini off-set. i did not know i needed one until i saw that little piece of art. friggin' awesome!

ok, back on track, so i get the already prepped drums, drive 9 million miles home and immediately paint the exteriors.

today, i needed to be productive in the yard because, well, it is trying to grow. i found this stuff called round up that will make my yard work much easier this summer. you guys should try it!

ok, focus.... anyway, i was able to get everything but the charcoal basket done today. i have the important items done..... beer opener and hose-barb thermometer mod!

skidder (aka - bob) dropped by with some valves and other parts that i will use on my next drum. thanks again bob....

this one has a 1" intake raised and using the magnet valve mod. lower openings are 3/4" nipples with screw caps. i have not installed handles nor have i decided on whether to go with 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 openings on the lid. when using multiple openings, what does everyone use for a cap? i like the idea of drinking a bunch of wine and saving the corks!

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

cheers,

scott

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/v...7.jpg&newest=1

Thawley 04-19-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbramm (Post 905974)
i did get to meet smokin' d (aka - richard) who has the coolest mini off-set. i did not know i needed one until i saw that little piece of art. friggin' awesome!

Link? Photos?

pinghacker 04-19-2009 06:47 PM

anyway, if the pics work, here is MUDS (Massachusetts Ugly Drum Smoker)..... the beer is a harpoon brewery leviathan imperial IPA... essentially a barley wine. i need to sit down now......

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.

pinghacker 04-19-2009 07:17 PM

Salmon on a UDS

I'm not quite done with my UDS but I could use some tips.

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).

She will be happy with ribs and other things I intend on doin' up in the new toy, but if I could present her with some good salmon she may feel a little better about the whole idea.

I thought that salmon was usually cold smoked but I'm sure somebody out there has made some on a UDS. Any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

sbramm 04-19-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinghacker (Post 906082)

Looks good Scott. Where did you find the long temp gage? I need one.

thermometer is from wally-world in the bbq dept for $5... a turkey fryer unit. hose barb is yet another harbor freight item... how would we get by without them? :)

capri man 04-19-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinghacker (Post 906110)

Believe it or not, my beautiful wife isn't thrilled about the prospect of an UGLY drum smoker in the yard. I stress ugly because my drum has seen better days (dents and what-not).

that makes them cook better!! a pretty one will not work!!:wink::wink::biggrin:

Smokin' D 04-19-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thawley (Post 905975)
Link? Photos?

Well it is not a UDS, but it is what you are looking for Thawley. If you like I have more pics and can post those along with some mini cooks.

Here is Cooper, the Mini reverse flow smoker

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...PICT0008-1.jpg

masiewiz 04-19-2009 11:00 PM

Let's talk paint.

The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz

Meat Burner 04-19-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 906246)
Well it is not a UDS, but it is what you are looking for Thawley. If you like I have more pics and can post those along with some mini cooks.

Here is Cooper, the Mini reverse flow smoker

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...PICT0008-1.jpg

That is just way too cool!!! I really really really want one of those. Oh, did I mentrion it is just way too cool.

Beerwolf 04-19-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 906260)
The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz

As far as paint goes, I dont think we really need anything high heat on these... I have been having good luck with Rustoleum and spraying it... a quart can will do about 4 drums using my handy HF touch up gun.. its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Thawley 04-20-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 906279)
its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Easier on your finger too.

Barbarian 04-20-2009 02:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Masiewiz,
Here is a pic of my paint job and my mistake on my second smoke where I left the lid off a bit to long.

The UDS has a base coat of 1500* black BBQ paint and the top coat is a Rustoleum metal paint. As you can see the black is fine and the red got a bit toasted. Depending on what you want colorwise, I would go with black base and the engine paint for a top coat and be careful not to leave the lid off and let the temp spike on you.

Chavo27 04-20-2009 10:37 AM

I think it just adds character to your drum =>

Barbarian 04-20-2009 11:04 AM

Thanks Chavo, but the original paint job looked so nice to me.