The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cascade Smokers Quedeville (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272450)

boogiechillen 05-27-2019 12:27 AM

Cascade Smokers Quedeville

7 Attachment(s)
Made the day trip to go get the smoker I ordered from Cascade Smokers.

First stopped at Wild Ride in Redmond, OR. A brewery with four food carts outside. Got the jerk chicken with grilled plantains, pineapple and jicama slaw, and black beans with a porter on nitro:
Attachment 171637

Ended up talking to the builder for a couple of hours, looking over the smoker, getting tips, seeing how everything is set up, etc. It was a great experience.

Seeing it firsthand, I understood all the thought and materials that went into the design. He said it weighs almost 600 lbs and I believe it.

It is a reverse flow where the smoke and heat go u a false wall on both sides and the back. The chimney is in the bottom, center, back.

There are four layers of steel in it. The first being the false wall, then the two surrounding the 2” of insulation, and then another layer creating and air gap around the outside. You can comfortably touch almost anywhere on the outside when the smoker is up to cooking temps inside.

The firebox holds about 15 pounds of briquettes. He supplies two dividers so you can create a snake pattern for a more controlled burn.
Attachment 171641
Air intake is controlled with a 1.5” ball valve.

There is an adjustable cover on the stack to adjust how heat distributed in the cook chamber. You can have the top or bottom be hotter or set it in the middle for even top to bottom.

I was pretty skeptical about getting to really even top to bottom, but once I stopped messing with the smoker during my first cook my fireboard showed temps within two degrees at the top and bottom grates.

the drip tray is raised off the bottom of the cook chamber and is completely isolated from the firebox. Simpling lining it with foil will be simple enough.

Here are some more photos:
Just got it home all wrapped up for the downpour on the drive home
Attachment 171638

The smoker. I got two upgrades in the probe port and the raised cart
Attachment 171639
Attachment 171642

Did my first cook today. Three racks of St. Louis ribs. Tried oak ridge dominator rub, plowbird yardbird, and a Korean bbq marinade.

Dominator turned out the best. Plowboys tasted too salty to me, but I think I overdid it. I’ll go lighter next time.

I also left them in there too long, but overall they were still quite tasty.
Attachment 171640
Attachment 171643

LloydQ 05-27-2019 07:53 AM

What a pretty rig!

Stingerhook 05-27-2019 08:07 AM

Congrats on the new addition, nice bones.

AWilliams 05-27-2019 09:43 AM

Those are super nice..,the only thing I see and I could be way off base, but the stand looks a little "light" for a 600# cooker.

mcyork28 05-27-2019 10:17 AM

Congrats! Those look really nice. I took a hard look at them as the builder is only about 4 hours away from me. Please post some cooks and let us know how you like it.

boogiechillen 05-27-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWilliams (Post 4184872)
Those are super nice..,the only thing I see and I could be way off base, but the stand looks a little "light" for a 600# cooker.

While a little top heavy, the cart is more than enough. It showed no signs of flexing when moving it around. The wheels seem really solid, too. Had no problem rolling it down the ramp off the trailer.

boogiechillen 05-27-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcyork28 (Post 4184893)
Congrats! Those look really nice. I took a hard look at them as the builder is only about 4 hours away from me. Please post some cooks and let us know how you like it.

It is pretty cool picking up the smoker from the guy who designed and built the smoker. I expected it to be a quick pick up but ended up talking to him for a couple hours. A big purchase made all that much more memorable.

Tri tip on it tonight. Smoked salmon coming up. Also a smoked meatloaf this week. Chicken, too.

Going to get some hotel pans today as the rack slides are made to fit the pans in place of the racks.

I am going to try a few more cooks without it, but will probably end up trying my fireboard on it.

luv2smoke 05-27-2019 12:02 PM

Congratulations that cooker is beauty!

rwalters 05-27-2019 12:06 PM

Spoke with the owner of Cascade smokers a few years ago when I believe he was brand new on the scene. Extremely nice/helpful guy! Congrats on one heck of a sweet smoker :-)

pjtexas1 05-27-2019 12:37 PM

Perfect color scheme. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Porcine Aviator 05-27-2019 07:36 PM

I have had my Cascade for over a year now and I am sure you will find it indispensable. I have owned almost every type of smoker over the years, and I can't imagine any cooker that would suit me better.

I struggled with feeding sticks to my offset all day ( and sometimes all night) until I discovered the vertical. It is the only type of cooker I have found that can deliver wood taste without the offset blues. Being on the West coast, I naturally looked for someone close to me and discovered Cascade about two years ago. There are other brands that are built very well but none better than Cascade— That I have found— and many are inferior.

I have run the Cascade on one load of charcoal and wood for 15 hours without interruption and maintained temps within ± 5° of set temp. It is quite astonishing. I have added an Auber 2615 controller now, but it is more for the connection to my phone than anything else. I can't imagine you could have found a better tool for authentic BBQ. Good luck and have fun.

P.S. You may have to experiment to get the best size of wood chunks for the amount of flavor you desire. When I set up a snake, I use sticks about 4" long and 1" to 1 1/4" in diameter. Smaller, they burn out before delivering enough smoke, and larger, they tend to ignite slowly enough that they generate a little bad smoke before catching on. The bad smoke is minimal but I don't like to see any. Also, cut a couple of small onions into quarters and lay them on top of the charcoal every few inches— your guests will be knocked out by the aroma.

boogiechillen 05-31-2019 11:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So I am a few cooks in. All fairly short cooks. Going to try something longer this weekend. I have a small pork butt to cook for a friend. I’ll have to get something for myself to cook as well.

Second cook was two tri tips. Turned out great. One seasoned with oak ridge Santa Maria and the other with carne crosta. Didn’t remember a pic until both were halfway sliced up and eaten:
Attachment 171791

Next day was a chicken. First got cook at around 350 degrees. I honestly pulled it a little early, but was good. Seasoned with yardbird.
Attachment 171792

Must have dropped a bit of something tasty:
Attachment 171793

Last night did two salmon fillets. Both dry brined with salt, brown sugar and garlic powder. Then both seasoned with pepper. One drizzled with maple syrup and the other seasoned with dill. Love how the smoker accepts the hotel pans in place of the racks.
Attachment 171794
Attachment 171795

Big George's BBQ 05-31-2019 11:20 AM

Very nice Congrats and enjoy

SonnyE 05-31-2019 11:33 AM

Cool!
Like how it accepts the Hotel Pans. That is a credit to the builder thinking ahead.

I see you use the same kind of "Camp Match" as I do. :wink:
(A torch on a 1 pound tank)

boogiechillen 05-31-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyE (Post 4186583)
Cool!
Like how it accepts the Hotel Pans. That is a credit to the builder thinking ahead.

I see you use the same kind of "Camp Match" as I do. :wink:
(A torch on a 1 pound tank)

Yeah, that feature with the pans is great. I actually pulled out the top rack and stored it as the other two will be plenty for 99% of my cooks. Leaves that top rack open for the pans to slide right in.

That propane torch is awesome. Button click to light it. Just a huge lighter. I use it to start all my fires now from burn piles to fireplace to now starting my charcoal chimney. Used to use the side burner on my gas grill, but that is on the upper deck.