The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   chopped brisket & chicken (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25719)

Puppyboy 04-01-2007 10:08 PM

chopped brisket & chicken

Not wanting to hi-jack Hawgsnheifers thread....

KCBS says brisket may be also be turned in chopped or pulled. Has anyone done so?

Same goes for chicken. HAs anyone chopped it or just turn in pieces?

G$ 04-01-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 372960)

KCBS says brisket may be also be turned in chopped or pulled. Has anyone done so?

Nope, but after this weekend, seriously considering it.

Leeper 04-01-2007 11:27 PM

I was presented an entry that was shredded once. It had been WAY overcooked but the turn in had a very nice sauce that probably helped them out. I would like to see someone turn in a great chopped or pulled entry and give the sliced guys a run for their money. I do suspect that most judges would make it down just on looks. Similar to chicken entries that are not thighs.

Jorge 04-01-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 372960)

Pulled/shredded but not by choice:icon_blush: Flavor scores were good, but everthing else was a beating...as it should have been. It wasn't our first choice!

parrothead 04-02-2007 08:25 AM

I had to turned in chopped briskit once. It was excellent, but slices would not hold together. It was just as tasty as the same briskit that we had scored well in, but did not score well with this.

Plowboy 04-02-2007 08:59 AM

I've done it twice a and placed second in brisket both times. However, I put slices in the box, too. I wanted them to see that it was a choice NOT because the brisket was overcooked, but because I could get two tastes out of the same piece of meat.

Otherwise, I think the judges interpret it as, "This brisket was overcooked and the cook couldn't get good slices." The opposite is true of supper thin slices, "This brisket was undercooked and that's why my slice is as thin as a piece of paper."

cmcadams 04-02-2007 09:22 AM

I turn in slices of brisket along with chopped ends.

I got an entry as a judge of pulled chicken. It was horrid.... It had gotten cold, and they hadn't taken the trouble to take all the fat out of the meat. I think I gave it a 4 in appearance, 4 in texture and a 2 in taste. It was truly awful.

G$ 04-02-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcadams (Post 373139)

I got an entry as a judge of pulled chicken. It was horrid.... It had gotten cold, and they hadn't taken the trouble to take all the fat out of the meat. I think I gave it a 4 in appearance, 4 in texture and a 2 in taste. It was truly awful.

That's weird, I have never even competed in your area! :tongue:

cmcadams 04-02-2007 09:44 AM

G, I just mailed in my score to AZ. :)

jgh1204 04-02-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G$ (Post 373170)
That's weird, I have never even competed in your area! :tongue:

We need one of those rolling laughing smilies.:biggrin:

That was funny.

Mooner 04-02-2007 11:27 AM

I was always told that slices should be the width of a number 2 pencil. Anyone else heard of this?

River City Smokehouse 04-02-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ (Post 373257)
I was always told that slices should be the width of a number 2 pencil. Anyone else heard of this?

That is what I've been told too. At the judging table I don't see it as a rule though. I have seen all sorts of slices, even aling the grain. (Like chewin on a football:eek: )

Bossmanbbq 04-02-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcadams (Post 373139)

What if they turned in chopped chicken but its boneless? I have seen guys do that and do real well, just trying to avoid the judges figuring out that it wasnt boneless, skinless to begin with.

Plowboy 04-02-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ (Post 373257)

I've not heard of a #2 pencil, but 1/4" is what we've been told and follow.

Sawdustguy 04-02-2007 12:09 PM

This weekend I had the pleasure of participating in Dr. BBQ's competition class. During the class he said one thing that really stuck in my mind: "Perception is reality". You are totally justified in submitting chopped brisket but because most submit slices the judges in their own mind may wonder why you chose to submit chopped brisket. They may think you submitted chopped because something went wrong with your cook. Remember the judges are human beings and thier perception of what you turned in becomes your reality in how they score you.