The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   We need a Select grade brisket Throw Down (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256423)

Czarbecue 01-24-2018 07:40 PM

We need a Select grade brisket Throw Down

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/don...grade-brisket/

SmittyJonz 01-24-2018 08:07 PM

Walmart Selects even. :heh:

16Adams 01-24-2018 08:09 PM

Excellent short read. Thanks.

Q_Done_Right 01-24-2018 08:22 PM

Never done a Select grade from anywhere but I’m willing to give one a try on my offset. The “Prime” ers I’ve done (from Costco) on the Pecos have been decadent. Would now love to try a select one from Wally World after reading this article. Worse case it all ends up as chopped beef for sammiches or tacos. :mrgreen:

Czarbecue 01-24-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmittyJonz (Post 3939673)
Walmart Selects even. :heh:

We need you to hold your Select brisket next to a newspaper with the current date. No reusing your old pics. :heh:

Rockinar 01-24-2018 08:53 PM

Thanks to that article people will now be fighting over the Select briskets at Kroger. LOL

SmittyJonz 01-24-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarbecue (Post 3939678)
We need you to hold your Select brisket next to a newspaper with the current date. No reusing your old pics. :heh:

Do they still print newspapers.? :shock:

pjtexas1 01-24-2018 11:52 PM

If you cook enough briskets you can cook a select that will turn out really nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ClintHTX 01-25-2018 05:51 AM

I’ve cooked decent select briskets. But ever since I bought primes my game got better. That extra marveling helps a lot I think. I’ve always thought an excellent throw down would be show your best bark! That’s one think I takes some skill.

CptKaos 01-25-2018 06:32 AM

This weekend?

Larry

16Adams 01-25-2018 07:02 AM

Time out:

A while back the Bride was at Sam’s. She called and said the brisket bin was full and that they had select choice and Prime seems like 10-15 maybe 20 cents between grade. “Do yo want one?” She asked.

My reply- regardless of USDA grade go thru the bin and select a no larger than 12# with a thick even flat, a point about the size of 3/4 cantaloupe really nice white fat and if you cradle it in your hands it’ll be kind of floppy like a new puppy.

She sent me a text. If you want a brisket you come pick it out. :-))

Time in.

I’m in for a select brisket cook. Sounds fun

BoneDaddy's 01-25-2018 07:08 AM

We cooked 4 briskets (Select, Choice, Prime and Wagyu) to test out how the grades actually compared. Let's just say that the select was not anywhere near the the rest of the group. You could barely tell the difference, if at all, between the Prime/Wagyu. The only thing a select is good for is a chili!

Czarbecue 01-25-2018 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's (Post 3939836)
We cooked 4 briskets (Select, Choice, Prime and Wagyu) to test out how the grades actually compared. Let's just say that the select was not anywhere near the the rest of the group. You could barely tell the difference, if at all, between the Prime/Wagyu. The only thing a select is good for is a chili!

I remember in Aaron Franklin’s book he had to use non Creekstone briskets and tried all sorts of things to improve the flavor of the meat (like injection). With a lower grade beef you have to do things you don’t normally do.

But John Mueller has been known for years for just working magic on Select grade beasts.

SmoothBoarBBQ 01-25-2018 08:49 AM

I started out smoking Select because that was all I had access to... Walmart Selects. I personally have found that smoking them "hot and fast" produces a much better product. I tried for a long time to cook them "low and slow" but no matter what I did they were dry and bland.

I have access to CAB Choice from Restaurant Depot now and it's night and day in comparison. I've found my "butter zone" at about 250-275° and I'm usually doing about 11-12 hours on the offset (unwrapped) and I'm churning out brisket jello every time.

Just wanted to throw out my experience for those of you who have never sunken so low as to cook a Wal-Mart Select brisket. haha

16Adams 01-25-2018 09:44 AM

Is this possible?? SJSBC

1st Annual Smitty Jones Select Brisket Championship

1. I propose a traveling trophy
2. Must be select grade full packer, proof of select grade
3. I’m not going to make a recommendation on cookers
But everything cooked outside- no kitchens no kitchen ovens

That’s three recommendations, reckon that’s controversial enough. I’m going to look for my select brisket just in case it happens.