The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

blackdog043 02-03-2011 09:24 AM

"I have a question for more experienced drumhead bretheren. I have a dome lid but I only installed the bolts for the lower rack. I still have room for an upper rack. My question is: Is the second rack more trouble than it is worth? I seldom cook anything low and slow that I don't need to get at sometime during the process. Do you find that removing the top rack to get at the lower is a PITA? Do you need to rotate the racks of meat during the cooking process so that they are done at the same time"

I mostly use my top rack for appetizers while I'm smoking. It's not really a problem if you have a place to put your top rack, to get to the bottom rack. I use an old card table. You will probably need to rotate your racks if you have the same meat on both. Just be very careful when tilting the bottom rack to get it past the top bolts, hate to see you loose a rack of meat. I like the idea somebody came up with, they used long bolts in the top rack to rest on the bottom rack. This way, no need for bolts thru the top and your bottom rack will come straight out. You could put bolts on both rack's so you can rotate them. That's my next mode.

1FUNVET 02-03-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdog043 (Post 1535286)
No problem using it. Just wash it out with hot soapy water a couple times, to get the worst of the oil out, then burn it out.

I agree. Another drum head is born :thumb:

jcinadr 02-04-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigwacker (Post 1535146)
Any body have any ideas on how to roll the expanded metal beside having a fab shop roll it?? Thanks for any thought.

First time I rolled around a propane tank, then used some vice grips to keep it shaped while I tacked it (probably used a ratchet strap as well.)

Second time I just secured it with a couple of hog rings - worked a lot better than my lousy tack welds.
--
I used expanded for the bottom of the basket as well, so when it was a tad to tight I simply cut a little more metal till I could pound it in place.

BigButzBBQ 02-04-2011 03:23 PM

Since we can do videos now, it only seems appropriate to do one involving building a UDS.
YouTube - UDSBuild

Emil 02-05-2011 11:33 PM

Pretty good video Tom. Can't wait to see the new rig.

inv3ctiv3 02-06-2011 07:14 PM

Got my drums today! Gonna start building soon hopefully, is sawing off the top the best way to get the lid off?

First things to do:
Get lids off
Wash out with water/soap
Burn out 2-3x
Wash again
Make charcoal basket
Make diffuser
Make brackets to hold racks
Burn again with vegetable oil to season.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5252/...b5af95eb_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/...863eb757_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/...14f3aee3_z.jpg

AJP 02-06-2011 08:57 PM

Did you already check to see that a weber dome will fit.

inv3ctiv3 02-06-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP (Post 1538939)
Did you already check to see that a weber dome will fit.

I haven't yet, I'll have time this week to do that.

BlueHowler 02-07-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 (Post 1538888)
Got my drums today! Gonna start building soon hopefully, is sawing off the top the best way to get the lid off?

I used a 1" hole saw and drilled the holes where the edge of the saw cut right by the inside lip. The next hole was drilled where part of the edge overlapped the previous hole. That leaves a little triangle shaped piece of metal that can be hammered down.

drewjohnson 02-07-2011 10:46 AM

Lined Barrel - I'm Grinded out

I picked up a fruit juice barrel with the red liner. I burned a giant fire Friday night. Sat morning, I hooked up a steel wire cup and started grinding. The outside was bare metal easily, but the inside was not easy at all. Some spots are almost bare metal, some not. I worked on it for about an hour straight, but the inside is not bare metal. My question:

Would it be possible to season the inside with oil, get a couple rounds of smoke/heat through it, then use without the inside being bare metal?

As many UDS pros as are here, has anyone been faced with the same issue, and what was the outcome? I've read, in this forum, that a weed burner to the outside of the drum is a good way. What is the negative of leaving it as is and attempting to use it. Thx - Drew

expatpig 02-07-2011 10:49 AM

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, I would season it and use it.

blackdog043 02-07-2011 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=inv3ctiv3;1538888]Got my drums today! Gonna start building soon hopefully, is sawing off the top the best way to get the lid off?

Use a scroll saw with a metal cutting blade, makes a nice clean cut. Some on here use a hammer and chisel.
Drill your intake holes before you burn it out.

drewjohnson 02-07-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatpig (Post 1539458)
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, I would season it and use it.

Thx Expatpig - I appreciate your response. Drew

inv3ctiv3 02-07-2011 12:33 PM

I have a question, how come you guys put 3 nipples on the drums but only one has a valve?

smokeyw 02-07-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 (Post 1539604)
I have a question, how come you guys put 3 nipples on the drums but only one has a valve?

The three nipples are for varying hotter temperatures. The more nipples you open, the hotter it will burn. You use the valve to fine tune. I almost always run mine with 2 nipples closed and the valve about 3/4 open. This will give me about 250 degrees. If I want to run over 300 I have to remove another nipple cap.