The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

smokeyw 01-17-2011 04:06 PM

basket size??

I have now read 210 pages of this thread. I have seen a lot and compiled a lot of good information. However, I am still unsure about the best basket size. I have seen a lot of different sizes. I know there is nothing set in stone but does anyone have any advice on this? I have a brand new Weber grate for a 21 1/2" grill that measures 17" in diameter. I would like to use it but it looks a little big to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

the_hunchback 01-18-2011 04:03 PM

Question for you guys that have experience with both a UDS and WSM (18.5). Which one would you get if you had the choice. I can possibly get a WSM for around $150 but am trying to decide which way to go. Thanks.

Southern Home Boy 01-18-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1515808)
I have now read 210 pages of this thread. I have seen a lot and compiled a lot of good information. However, I am still unsure about the best basket size. I have seen a lot of different sizes. I know there is nothing set in stone but does anyone have any advice on this? I have a brand new Weber grate for a 21 1/2" grill that measures 17" in diameter. I would like to use it but it looks a little big to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've used both the 17" coal grate and the smaller 14" one too. Personally, I like the larger grate because I've set up my basket to sit up directly under the cooking grates to use as a direct grill if I want to. A smaller basket would make this less practical.
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...rebasket-1.jpg
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/a...leDrumOpen.jpg

jetfxr27 01-18-2011 08:03 PM

What mine looks like,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/...461_z.jpg?zz=1

Here are some rough drawings, the first is my 55 gallon UDS the second is my 30 gallon mUDS.
The drawings are for all expnded. I prefer using a coal grate bottom.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/...8802d5f0_z.jpg

jdbh 01-20-2011 05:52 PM

First build

2 Attachment(s)
brand new drum grates all stainles hardware and legs 225.00. build first fire in it tommarrow

smokeyw 01-20-2011 06:42 PM

Very nice :thumb: What kind of paint did you use?

Southern Home Boy 01-20-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdbh (Post 1519274)
brand new drum grates all stainles hardware and legs 225.00. build first fire in it tommarrow

Oooohhh... SHINY!! :clap2:

Now git 'er dirty and let's see whatcha make!:thumb:

Boshizzle 01-20-2011 08:03 PM

Nice looking UDS!

jdbh 01-21-2011 07:16 AM

uds paint

used 900 deg vht caliber paint. i forgot to note i got the new lid free courtisy of jim presscotts bbq shop in sterling il

jdbh 01-21-2011 07:24 AM

its a rust inhibiter burn it out

Smokin' D 01-21-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_hunchback (Post 1516940)
Question for you guys that have experience with both a UDS and WSM (18.5). Which one would you get if you had the choice. I can possibly get a WSM for around $150 but am trying to decide which way to go. Thanks.

I have an 18.5 WSM and two drums, so I guess I qualify as a responder. I like both units. The WSM is easier to move around and bring someplace if need be. The porcelain coating will last a very long time and the cooker will not rust. The WSM has a long history of success and has been engineered to work well. Large customer base and fountain of knowledge is available to you along with a web site devoted to the WSM, The Virtual Weber Bullet. Produces quality food and is very economical to operate. You do not need to fabricate it yourself, for some this is an issue. I have cooked 6 pork butts at once in my 18.5 WSM. Ribs and brisket can be an issue with the small grate size. For $150 I'd go with the bullet as you will spend close to that, or more, building your drum. Not to mention your time.

Now for the other side. With both units cooking away side by side, people will always make a comment about the drum and the fact it is a home built unit. That buzz is a nice conversation starter. Depending on the size of the charcoal basket, mine is 14" wide x 12" tall, you will get a really long burn time. In excess of 20 hours. With a diffuser plate of some sort, the product you produces will taste the same as off the WSM. Rack size allows for full packers and racks of ribs laid flat, my preference. So, in making a recomendation? Buy the WSM and then while you are cooking up the first batch of ribs start building a drum as you will want both.

A bunch of wise men have said "You can never have too many smokers!"

expatpig 01-21-2011 09:20 AM

This is my basket with a height adjustable bottom 16" tall X 16" dia. 3 return springs to secure the ashpan to the basket. If I need to use it to grill on my bottom grate, I just raise the bottom. The only mod I've done since is to replace the coal grate with expanded metal, too many pieces of charcoal were falling through the grate.

Sammy_Shuford 01-21-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyw (Post 1515808)
does anyone have any advice on this? I have a brand new Weber grate for a 21 1/2" grill that measures 17" in diameter. I would like to use it but it looks a little big to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am using that exact grate, 9 inch expanded metal sides, and 2 inch bolts on the bottom for a 2" air space below grate.

Works wonderful so far.

otterpop 01-21-2011 01:24 PM

Wow - this thread is a monster! I'm just taking it 10 pages per day, learning lots as I go. Last night I was driving my daughter home from paddling practice, when I saw 2 guys wheeling an old 22.5" OTS to the curb. I turned around and asked if it was free. "Take it", they said! So I scored a lid and upper grill for my UDS project (the rest was all burned and rusted out).

blackdog043 01-21-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otterpop (Post 1520145)
Wow - this thread is a monster! I'm just taking it 10 pages per day, learning lots as I go. Last night I was driving my daughter home from paddling practice, when I saw 2 guys wheeling an old 22.5" OTS to the curb. I turned around and asked if it was free. "Take it", they said! So I scored a lid and upper grill for my UDS project (the rest was all burned and rusted out).

Don't forget to take notes as you read, it's easier when you want to reference something for the build.
Nice score on the Weber stuff!!!!