The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cherry with Whole Hog? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259620)

bluegrass smoke 04-28-2018 11:04 AM

Cherry with Whole Hog?
 
I got a big cook coming up and wanted to use cherry but I have heard it can be overpowering. Thoughts?
thanks@

bluegrass smoke 04-28-2018 11:05 AM

specifically for a cook that long

cholloway 04-28-2018 11:12 AM

I don't know how overpowering it could be for a long cook but, the cherry will
give it some beautiful color.
Mix it up with some oak and pecan.

bluegrass smoke 04-28-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cholloway (Post 3988289)
I don't know how overpowering it could be for a long cook but, the cherry will
give it some beautiful color.
Mix it up with some oak and pecan.

I got a little pecan left over so ill use that up
I got a ton of Red Oak but its only been cut down for about a month
Can I "pre-heat" it around the edge of the firepit and cook that Sap out?

Beentown 04-28-2018 02:38 PM

Cherry, overpowering? Maybe if its green. Here is 12 hours of nothing but cherry. Excellent flavor. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4d44f5fc0b.jpg

Rusty Kettle 04-28-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beentown (Post 3988353)
Cherry, overpowering? Maybe if its green. Here is 12 hours of nothing but cherry. Excellent flavor. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4d44f5fc0b.jpg

Now that looks fantastic!

jermoQ 04-28-2018 04:49 PM

That looks real good!

bluegrass smoke 04-28-2018 04:57 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f87583bc69.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...54d041161a.jpg

That much cherry plus the rest of the pickup bed load would be oak $100 delivered and stacked whatcha think!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirPorkaLot 04-28-2018 05:08 PM

Well seasoned cherry has a very mild smoke.

I am at the bottom of a 1/2 cord I bought last fall. Almost time to reload.

Steve68 04-28-2018 05:45 PM

That looks amazing!

bluegrass smoke 04-28-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve68 (Post 3988415)
That looks amazing!



Pig or wood


Or both ?!?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93_confirmed 04-28-2018 10:05 PM

I use Cherry for long cooks all the time - there are no issues with it. I've used apple, cherry, hickory, pecan, oak, and mesquite and only mesquite can cause problems.

Monkey Uncle 04-29-2018 05:32 AM

Same here - I've used cherry for pork many times. It is a mild smoke that gives the meat a wonderful color. But be aware that cherry doesn't produce as much heat as oak or hickory, and the coals don't last very long once the flaming stage is over. So you might want to mix in something harder/denser. Personally, I'd mix in sugar maple (or another species of hard maple) if you can get it. It is also a mild wood that won't overwhelm the color you get from the cherry. If you mix oak with the cherry, it will cover up the nice red color.

But I definitely would not use month old red oak. You'll get nothing but hissing and thick clouds of acrid smoke.

bluegrass smoke 04-29-2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle (Post 3988654)
Same here - I've used cherry for pork many times. It is a mild smoke that gives the meat a wonderful color. But be aware that cherry doesn't produce as much heat as oak or hickory, and the coals don't last very long once the flaming stage is over. So you might want to mix in something harder/denser. Personally, I'd mix in sugar maple (or another species of hard maple) if you can get it. It is also a mild wood that won't overwhelm the color you get from the cherry. If you mix oak with the cherry, it will cover up the nice red color.

But I definitely would not use month old red oak. You'll get nothing but hissing and thick clouds of acrid smoke.



He said he had some maple but I didnít think anything about it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey Uncle 04-29-2018 04:29 PM

You could also just supplement with lump if your coal bed starts to die. That shouldn't mask the cherry color.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.