logo

Sous Vide People

Hornnumb2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Any sous vide people in here, I wanted to do a test run on a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. But not sure on time and temps. I was going to SV first, refrigerate overnight and smoke the next day. Any Ideas. Thanks Michael

I like Serious Eats that Blue linked to.

I don't use mine for steaks unless they are thick cut, that's where it really works great.

I've only done steaks and smoked brisket with mine. Check out chefsteps or serious eat for times and temps They are usually spot on. I like to smoke first, then Sous Vide. Seems to incorporate more flavor this way. Turkey might be a tricky one since it's not a touch piece of meat that needs 24-72 hours of bath time. Let me know what you decide and if it's actually better than regular smoked turkey.

With sous vide the time is pretty forgiving. Turkey breast should be good if brought to 145 degrees for ~3 hours. Meat absorbs smoke better when cold. Can smoke it first or last but either way you have to get the meat up to serving temp to eat. Me? I'd lo-temp smoke then sous vide up till serving time and plan to sear it or broil it for a few minutes at the end if color and skin texture were important. Have even seen recipes removing the skin to crisp in the oven separately.

I'd lo-temp smoke then sous vide up till serving time and plan to sear it or broil it for a few minutes at the end if color and skin texture were important.

This is exactly what i'd do...if I really wanted to use SV. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of SV and have been doing it for years...I just think smoking the turkey to a finish temp is a muuuuuuch easier process than what the OP has in mind.

This application sounds like a solution in search of a problem. :becky:

Back