The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question about brisket rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283616)

BYURoyalsKC 07-14-2020 10:54 AM

Question about brisket rub

Hello all,

I will be smoking a brisket this weekend and looking to shake things up a bit. I will be feeding my wife's family as they will all be in town for our towns little (albeit much condensed, thanks Rona!) celebration.

I have always used just Salt and Pepper, but was going to go with a store bought rub. I am going to give Bovine Bold a try.

My question is this, do I use the rub and only the rub or do I still use S&P with the addition of the rub? I am genuinely curious about this.

Thanks.

sudsandswine 07-14-2020 11:05 AM

Bovine Bold is a good brisket rub, I would not add extra salt and pepper to it, I think it's fairly well balanced as is. If anything you might add extra pepper if you really like pepper but I'd not do extra salt, personally.

Pedro7 07-14-2020 11:10 AM

My go to is heavier S+P and then a light coat of Meat Church Holy Cow. Holy Cow is not salty at all, but adds a nice flavor boost.

SweetHeatBBQnSC 07-14-2020 11:28 AM

a little cayenne helps too (doesn't make it spicy).

BYURoyalsKC 07-14-2020 11:46 AM

I do have some Holy Cow on hand already and I always add salt when I use it.

I have never tried the Bovine Bold but am a fan of their Yardbird, and have heard good things about the Bovine Bold, so I am considering giving it a run this weekend.

Just curious if it stands on it's own or needs some help.

bgross88 07-14-2020 12:15 PM

On my last brisket, I tried Harry Soo’s recommendation of adding celery seed to the salt and pepper. I was very happy with the bark/results. I understand that might not appeal to some, but it was hard to argue with my final results.

rovster 07-14-2020 12:15 PM

I normally do what Pete does which is heavy salt and pepper, and a dusting of some other rub for a lil extra sumptin':-D

BYURoyalsKC 07-14-2020 12:21 PM

I've considered this too, but maybe for a future brisket down the road.

I am cooking for people who will probably slather the beef in BBQ sauce, anyway, so just trying to keep it simple with a flavor profile that will appeal to the masses.

I want to try his beef rub, but I can not convince myself to pay those prices for a combination of spices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgross88 (Post 4348840)
On my last brisket, I tried Harry Soo’s recommendation of adding celery seed to the salt and pepper. I was very happy with the bark/results. I understand that might not appeal to some, but it was hard to argue with my final results.

BYURoyalsKC 07-14-2020 12:23 PM

This is what I am on the fence about.

Speaking of Bovine Bold in particular . . . What is the consensus from those who are familiar with it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovster (Post 4348841)
I normally do what Pete does which is heavy salt and pepper, and a dusting of some other rub for a lil extra sumptin':-D

ky_dave 07-14-2020 12:46 PM

i've tried Weber's KC BBQ rub and their Texas brisket rub and everyone loves them. I used to find them at Sams Club.

Shiz-Nit 07-14-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYURoyalsKC (Post 4348814)
Hello all,

I will be smoking a brisket this weekend and looking to shake things up a bit. I will be feeding my wife's family as they will all be in town for our towns little (albeit much condensed, thanks Rona!) celebration.

I have always used just Salt and Pepper, but was going to go with a store bought rub. I am going to give Bovine Bold a try.

My question is this, do I use the rub and only the rub or do I still use S&P with the addition of the rub? I am genuinely curious about this.

Thanks.

Bovine Bold will be just fine on its own but personally when I use it I like to go heavy with Bovine Bold and a dusting of additional kosher salt on a THICK pc of beef as brisket.

pharp 07-14-2020 09:39 PM

I like Bovine Bold, but I would taste it first. It has a pretty distinct flavor. I know more than one person who were surprised by the flavor. Like I said, its a staple in my rub box...but just taste it first.

BYURoyalsKC 07-15-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharp (Post 4349101)
I like Bovine Bold, but I would taste it first. It has a pretty distinct flavor. I know more than one person who were surprised by the flavor. Like I said, its a staple in my rub box...but just taste it first.

Yes, sound advice. The place I purchase from has "TRY ME" bottles of every rub the sell, so I will for sure take a sample.

smoke ninja 07-15-2020 08:50 AM

when I season a brisket I do a light base coat of whatever rub I want and then top coat it with salt and pepper.

the base coat is usually oakridge black ops but lately I've been liking simply marvelous peppered cow. for the S&P topcoat i use Naturiffic Q-salt

BYURoyalsKC 07-16-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke ninja (Post 4349222)
when I season a brisket I do a light base coat of whatever rub I want and then top coat it with salt and pepper.

the base coat is usually oakridge black ops but lately I've been liking simply marvelous peppered cow. for the S&P topcoat i use Naturiffic Q-salt

I also have some Black OPS on hand, as well.

Just curious . . . with you top coat of S&P I assume it is a lighter coat than when you would use only S&P alone? Given the spices in the base coat.

I am a habitual overthinker, sorry.