The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilling chicken food safety question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272292)

jemezspring 05-22-2019 07:04 PM

Grilling chicken food safety question

Let's say I throw some chicken on the grill at 350 and after 20 minutes use my bare hands to rotate/flip. Are my fingers contaminated with chicken cooties? obviously the chicken is not completely cooked but are the cooties still alive on the surface?

Norm 05-22-2019 07:13 PM

There is a good chance they are still active.

tom b 05-22-2019 07:14 PM

not an expert but t that time and temp, I would say surface cooties are killed

qapla 05-22-2019 08:17 PM

It seems to me that the surface would be OK to touch without fear of contamination from "raw" chicken ... but, at 350° for 20 minutes, I would wonder why you would want to use your hands

Besides, can't you just wash your hands after you flip the chicken?

thunter 05-22-2019 08:29 PM

Better safe than sorry. Don’t risk it. Wash your hands afterwards or... use a utensil of some sort.

IamMadMan 05-23-2019 05:08 AM

It's a dual edged sword...

Bacteria present in food is killed during pasteurization. Using raw milk as an example; milk is pasteurized at 161°F for 15 seconds using High Temperature Short Time Treatment. Other foods can be pasteurized using steam, irradiation, and even Low Temperature Long Time Treatment (145°F for 30 minutes).

When using a grill at 350°F for 20 minutes, you would exceed temperature and time recommendations for pasteurization. Therefore, it is important to always handle food properly by handling it with clean hands, preventing it from becoming re-contaminated, and keeping it at a safe serving temperature.

Re-contamination and cross-contamination can be a serious problem without a hand-wash station nearby. Touching the grill handle, door knobs, and even other foods can redistribute germs and bacteria for cross-contamination.

When grilling, I use a separate pair of tongs for chicken, and another pair for vegetables and fruit.

Food safety should always be foremost present in our cooking process.

charcoal4brains 05-24-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemezspring (Post 4182555)
Let's say I throw some chicken on the grill at 350 and after 20 minutes use my bare hands to rotate/flip. Are my fingers contaminated with chicken cooties? obviously the chicken is not completely cooked but are the cooties still alive on the surface?

If you can pick it up with your bare hands it probably isn't up to 165F. Domestic water heaters are generally set around 120F-140F, for a reference.

Leftwngr 05-24-2019 01:09 AM

The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves...

Seriously, tongs are not the enemy.

Dplorable 05-24-2019 11:53 AM

I'm no food guru here, but it makes sense to me that early in the cook you're rendering fat and juices from the inside of the meat to the outside that could contain live cooties. I'm sure somebody will tell me if I'm wrong?

food4thot 05-24-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 4182692)
It's a dual edged sword...

Bacteria present in food is killed during pasteurization. Using raw milk as an example; milk is pasteurized at 161°F for 15 seconds using High Temperature Short Time Treatment. Other foods can be pasteurized using steam, irradiation, and even Low Temperature Long Time Treatment (145°F for 30 minutes).

When using a grill at 350°F for 20 minutes, you would exceed temperature and time recommendations for pasteurization. Therefore, it is important to always handle food properly by handling it with clean hands, preventing it from becoming re-contaminated, and keeping it at a safe serving temperature.

Re-contamination and cross-contamination can be a serious problem without a hand-wash station nearby. Touching the grill handle, door knobs, and even other foods can redistribute germs and bacteria for cross-contamination.

When grilling, I use a separate pair of tongs for chicken, and another pair for vegetables and fruit.

Food safety should always be foremost present in our cooking process.

:mmph: All good advice but it drives me crazy raw milk is often used as an example when discussing food safety.

Properly raised dairy cows, proper milking procedures & storage, and proper milk testing make raw milk perfectly safe for human consumption.

--end of small rant

jemezspring 05-24-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qapla (Post 4182599)
It seems to me that the surface would be OK to touch without fear of contamination from "raw" chicken ... but, at 350° for 20 minutes, I would wonder why you would want to use your hands

Besides, can't you just wash your hands after you flip the chicken?

I actually do not own a pair of tongs. I mainly use cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over them when I'm moving food around on the grill. But sometimes I'm a little lazy and pick up with my bare hands. The ensuing pain of moving hot chicken causes me to stick my fingers in my mouth. I do wash my hands after this procedure but the damage could already be done.

IamMadMan 05-24-2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by food4thot (Post 4183362)
:mmph: All good advice but it drives me crazy raw milk is often used as an example when discussing food safety.

Properly raised dairy cows, proper milking procedures & storage, and proper milk testing make raw milk perfectly safe for human consumption.

--end of small rant

I couldn't agree with you more, but I have seen hundreds of farms where the cows are utter deep in muck which contains their own waste. I've even seen this on some local Mennonite Farms. Seems they all make the most of small space for maximum profits. I don't believe it's the bacteria in the milk that can cause illness, but rather outside bacteria; not cleaning the teets, and milking equipment properly can easily cause cross contamination.

food4thot 05-24-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 4183471)
I couldn't agree with you more, but I have seen hundreds of farms where the cows are utter deep in muck which contains their own waste. I've even seen this on some local Mennonite Farms. Seems they all make the most of small space for maximum profits. I don't believe it's the bacteria in the milk that can cause illness, but rather outside bacteria; not cleaning the teets, and milking equipment properly can easily cause cross contamination.

I've been in milk sheds on small dairy farms. It's one of the dirtiest businesses to keep clean. But, it gets done by farmers that care...the main difference between real farmers and corporate farming.

Not picking a fight. Just pissed off dealing with State of Michigan raw dairy regulations for 20 years. Why is it I can't go to a dairy farm I trust and buy a gallon of raw milk or a pound of raw butter without signing on for a cow share?

SonnyE 05-24-2019 10:31 PM

I always use my tongs.
I don't care for burned fingers.

By the time the food (chicken) is done, do you honestly believe there is anything left to worry about?
I don't. Apparently we are both still alive. :clap:

Mike in Roseville 05-24-2019 10:53 PM

Use tongs, "glove up" if you're moving, or wash your hands dude.