The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bought a vortex, now what? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278371)

TxQGuy 01-20-2020 02:57 PM

Bought a vortex, now what?

I blame you folks on here for this. :biggrin1: After seeing how many of you utilize a vortex for your grilling, I decided to order one off Amazon and am now awaiting delivery.

I'll admit that I just trusted the Brethren on this one and bought it blindly, kind of a "well, it must be pretty handy so I should get it" sorta thing.

I know it is used for indirect, 2-zone kinda grilling, but someone tell me how to best use it. What are some tips/techniques?

Like I said, it was an impulse purchase for which I blame y'all. :laugh:

Mikhail 01-20-2020 03:03 PM

I have only seen them on a kettle. I wonder if it would work well with a PK.

drunkenmeatfist 01-20-2020 03:11 PM

The correct answer is to go get some wings and do them up using the vortex. As far as tips go it is pretty fool proof. You can light the coals in a chimney and dump them in if you are in a hurry or you can fill the vortex up and put a firestarter in the middle.

drunkenmeatfist 01-20-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikhail (Post 4263947)
I have only seen them on a kettle. I wonder if it would work well with a PK.

I have a PK Classic and a Vortex and have never tried this. I had the same question, but after reading around on the PK facebook group it does not appear that they are a good match. Think it has to do with airflow from the intakes.

ShadowDriver 01-20-2020 03:38 PM

Wings, Sausages, Steak, Corn for Elote, Potatoes... the possibilities are endless.

You don't always have to put it in the center of the cooker/grill... in fact, I often set it off to one side if I'm doing steak/potatoes/corn.

Hope it works out nicely for you... no matter what cooker you use.

Mikhail 01-20-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist (Post 4263957)
I have a PK Classic and a Vortex and have never tried this. I had the same question, but after reading around on the PK facebook group it does not appear that they are a good match. Think it has to do with airflow from the intakes.

Exactly what I was concerned with. Thanks!!!

SlickRockStones 01-20-2020 04:08 PM

Get a glove ‘cause the handle’s gonna get hot as hell. Also, don’t reach across the “blast zone”. It will leave a mark.

SlickRockStones 01-20-2020 04:28 PM

Get a glove ‘cause the handle’s gonna get hot as hell. Also, don’t reach across the “blast zone”. It will leave a mark.

TxQGuy 01-20-2020 04:40 PM

Thanks y'all! I don't have a Weber (I know that is what it was intended for), but I figure I can use it on my Old Smokey. Wings are sounding goooooood. I think I'll wing it up for the inaugral vortex cook.

Little Pig Barbeque 01-20-2020 05:56 PM

I use the vortex all of the time. It's great for a reverse sear steak. But let's be honest...its a wing cooker. Cook wings on it one time and you will see.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

sudsandswine 01-20-2020 06:14 PM

^^^ yep

I pull the wings win the skin gets a little bubbly (fried) and you can see the the juices starting to churn underneath the skin...usually about 40 mins for whole wing sections with a full charcoal chimney...25 mins if separate wings/drummies

SMOKE FREAK 01-20-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDriver (Post 4263965)
Wings, Sausages, Steak, Corn for Elote, Potatoes... the possibilities are endless.

You don't always have to put it in the center of the cooker/grill... in fact, I often set it off to one side if I'm doing steak/potatoes/corn.

Hope it works out nicely for you... no matter what cooker you use.

The Vortex is limited "only" by your imagination.
Can be used in the volcano mode or inverted and filled for various cooking situations. Centered or not. Coals can go around the outside of the inverted V for low and slow etc...Endless possibilities...I love mine for fire roasting peppers of all kind. Extreme heat for a short time is the best way to roast em...

Enjoy your new purchase.
Hope it fits between the grates on your grill...

ShadowDriver 01-20-2020 08:08 PM

Great reminder.

I've absolutely loved the bigger birds cooked INSIDE the Vortex with coals OUTSIDE....

Oh, man... Appreciate the reminder as this isn't something I do nearly as much as the "normal" use of the Vortex.

Bacchus2b 01-20-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxQGuy (Post 4263945)
I blame you folks on here for this. :biggrin1: After seeing how many of you utilize a vortex for your grilling, I decided to order one off Amazon and am now awaiting delivery.

I'll admit that I just trusted the Brethren on this one and bought it blindly, kind of a "well, it must be pretty handy so I should get it" sorta thing.

I know it is used for indirect, 2-zone kinda grilling, but someone tell me how to best use it. What are some tips/techniques?

Like I said, it was an impulse purchase for which I blame y'all. :laugh:

Go buy some wings RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! :clap2:

https://live.staticflickr.com/4856/4...e707e124_h.jpgIMG_0530 by David Miller, on Flickr

JAKs Q & brew 01-20-2020 10:39 PM

I was about to buy one for tailgating, but i already have charcoal baskets for my 22. I can set those up to hold coals in the middle.

What does a vortex do that I cant already do?