Duke City Shenanigans - Lexington Style Pork Butt (w/ Pron)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Morning, Pholks!

Big old thunderstorm woke me early, but it blew through quickly. The sun is just peeking over the Sandia Mountains to the East. Beautiful skies and cool temps provide some great conditions for hot air balloon pilots (and great sights for me as I fire up the charcoal chimney)!

qX5Lgqpl.jpg

VHDatael.jpg

I'm going to stick with "simple" today. I've got some El Diablo charcoal providing heat, hickory providing smoke, and I'll go "a'salt" the butt after an hour or so.

oFSwRRvl.jpg

5F3hBGll.jpg

I hope you have a restful and relaxing Sunday like I'm planning to have.

More to follow.

Love the Sandias in the morning. Great day ahead

After about an hour in the sauna with thin blue hickory smoke, the butt is all hot and sweaty. - Perfect time to "a'salt" this thing.

X4E0j5al.jpg

Today, I'm using some of the last of my coarse kosher salt, as I've enjoyed the bigger grains I can find with Elephant Salt or a few other brands. I'd be interested in what others are using/enjoying.

ZAl33Vel.jpg

I flipped the fat cap side underneath and continued the "a'salting" on all sides before leaving her to let the smoke and salt do the work.

0fMiZ0Cl.jpg

Time to think about some breakfast.

Looks great.

As to salt, I use Kosher but prefer Crystal Diamond over Morton's, less dense then Morton and no anti-caking agent. I find it at Costco and, if you have one, Smart&Final.

As to salt, I use Kosher but prefer Crystal Diamond over Morton's, less dense then Morton and no anti-caking agent. I find it at Costco...

Thanks, Bruce. I've seen the discussion over those two. We've got a Costco very handy, so I'll have a nose-around and look for the Crystal Diamond next time I'm there.

Looking good! I'm thinking one of those balloons is gonna land in yer backyard before the day is over once they catch a whiff. As to the k salt, I'm nomadic and disloyal, drifting from brand to brand, grabbing whatever I see when I need it. Def. interested in hearing takes on the different ones.

You got some great eats coming - pork butts never fail, esp. in capable hands such as yours! I imagine we're gonna be seeing some of that vinegar sauce you make with the spice packet from the feller in NC? That stuff has become a staple here at casa de gtr - thanks for the heads up on that stuff!

Thanks, Bruce. I've seen the discussion over those two. We've got a Costco very handy, so I'll have a nose-around and look for the Crystal Diamond next time I'm there.
Never seen Crystal around these parts, only Morton. Have heard the Crystal is hollow, so you need to be careful how much Morton you use or you'll over salt things.

I imagine we're gonna be seeing some of that vinegar sauce you make with the spice packet from the feller in NC? That stuff has become a staple here at casa de gtr - thanks for the heads up on that stuff!

Cheers, Greg!

I've got a little of that, some similar stuff from Rodney Scott's (that's a staple), some of our homemade Guerrilla Gold SC-style, and I think I'm going to take the opportunity to hit some of this Yes, Dear sauce from the East Coast (Thanks again, MadMan!).

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Bone's got a little wiggle, and I've planned plenty of time for a long hold in a warm oven before I do the chop.

kv3qRbBl.jpg

Smells wonderful. It's been a while since I last took this road.

Looks like I'm the only one awake in the household... my girls (to include the cats) know it's Sunday afternoon nap time. Maybe I'll join in the effort.

Back