Spatchcock Chicken

Little Pig Barbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I did a spatchcock chicken video that I think turned out pretty good. One of my favorite ways to cook whole chickens. The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill was a beast as always. Check it out if you're interested. If you are, please consider subscribing.

How many of you all like to cook chickens this way? It definately saves some time.

https://youtu.be/DOQ2gZEuwNo

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I like to spend an extra 2 seconds with an extra cut and cut the bird it half.. I will freeze half birds for later use. I think the presentation and the ability to move them around in halves is alot better than spatchcocking

I like to spend an extra 2 seconds with an extra cut and cut the bird it half.. I will freeze half birds for later use. I think the presentation and the ability to move them around in halves is alot better than spatchcocking
That's not a bad idea. I may have to start cutting mine in half and freezing if the price of meat doesn't quit climbing! We usually only eat about half the bird in one sitting at my house anyway.

That's not a bad idea. I may have to start cutting mine in half and freezing if the price of meat doesn't quit climbing! We usually only eat about half the bird in one sitting at my house anyway.

Well I was specifically speaking about cooking both halves then freezing one.. Makes good chicken salad, or other things like that for something quick :D

I think that you can do great with your videos, your audio could use some work. I think that your current set up with your kitchen is whats causing the echo/tunnel effect.

- G

I think that you can do great with your videos, your audio could use some work. I think that your current set up with your kitchen is whats causing the echo/tunnel effect.

- G
I would really like to get a lavalier microphone. That would take away some of the echo I think.

Thanks for the feedback!

Any guidance on time and temp?

I did my first spatchcocked chicken last night and it was pretty darn bad. It was far from the best setup - had a small (5lb?) Purdue roaster that was about to kick over so I cut and up and threw it on.

Ran it at 375, but had the internal temp probe in a bad spot, so I think I overcooked the heck out of it.

Whole chickens are like 20/lb plus 20 - but these are a lot, lot faster. Any starting guidelines?

Any guidance on time and temp?

I did my first spatchcocked chicken last night and it was pretty darn bad. It was far from the best setup - had a small (5lb?) Purdue roaster that was about to kick over so I cut and up and threw it on.

Ran it at 375, but had the internal temp probe in a bad spot, so I think I overcooked the heck out of it.

Whole chickens are like 20/lb plus 20 - but these are a lot, lot faster. Any starting guidelines?
I usually cook 5-7lb birds at around 300-325 degrees. For that size and temp, it usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Probe placement is key. Make sure it is in the middle of the thickest part of the breast. Pull it off at 165 and you should be golden.

Don't be afraid to try it again. I can assure you, we have all ruined plenty of food trying something new. You'll get it!

I usually cook 5-7lb birds at around 300-325 degrees. For that size and temp, it usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.

Probe placement is key. Make sure it is in the middle of the thickest part of the breast. Pull it off at 165 and you should be golden.

Don't be afraid to try it again. I can assure you, we have all ruined plenty of food trying something new. You'll get it!

Thanks for the input - in addition to hosing up the probe placement, I think I was running way too hot.

Can't wait to try again - and will actually follow a recipe this time. Would love to be able to knock this off for dinner easily.

Back