The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

hrhcsh 05-13-2015 06:45 AM

Found a Drum that is tapered at top

Just by accident I found a drum that is tapered the last 5" at the top... the outside dimension is 22 3/8" a Weber 22.5" lid should fit perfectly without any bending or hammering. I might be able to get more drums ?? If anyone is interested. NE Alabama

12ring 05-13-2015 10:41 AM

My buddy has one like that and it's actually to tapered. The lid didn't fit well. Hopefully yours fits better.

pizzakngjr 05-16-2015 01:47 PM

Lined?

I am reading through all 800+ pages of this post, and bear with me as I am only on page 181 since I started reading last week!

What say you brethren? Is this unlined?

It contained vegetable base for making soap, I was told by the company I bought it from it is food grade, so I went out and took a wire cup to the lid. Only used my hand, didn't put it in a drill.

It still has soap base residue which I will take to the car wash and wash it out, do I still need to do the burns? Or season and cook?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...psansctknq.jpg

Thanks!

Wahoo95 05-16-2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzakngjr (Post 3242885)
I am reading through all 800+ pages of this post, and bear with me as I am only on page 181 since I started reading last week!

What say you brethren? Is this unlined?

It contained vegetable base for making soap, I was told by the company I bought it from it is food grade, so I went out and took a wire cup to the lid. Only used my hand, didn't put it in a drill.

It still has soap base residue which I will take to the car wash and wash it out, do I still need to do the burns? Or season and cook?

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...psansctknq.jpg

Thanks!

Appears unlined to me.

fat_bastard 05-16-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrhcsh (Post 3239975)
Just by accident I found a drum that is tapered the last 5" at the top... the outside dimension is 22 3/8" a Weber 22.5" lid should fit perfectly without any bending or hammering. I might be able to get more drums ?? If anyone is interested. NE Alabama

Are these the blue ones that had Tomato paste in them? I got one from a guy up on Grant Mtn that had a barn full of them. Note that they have the Red Liner of Annoyance.

Fwismoker 05-16-2015 02:14 PM

I sure know I'd like to find more like my flat no bung hole barrels, no ribs and only a rust inhibitor.

wdpope1 05-16-2015 02:55 PM

I forgot to pick up lump this week had to use left over lump some biquetes and temps were more stable little more smoke but a wrapped fattie and a meatloaf first time on meatloaf and WOW finished it with sweet baby rays honey chipotle bbq sauce

Razor800 05-16-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor800 (Post 3227937)
First post, be gentle. Often read that the hardest part of building a UDS is finding a barrel. I found this to be an honest assessment, however after months of searching, I found one. **Pause to let the applause die down** To my dismay it has a red liner. I have always loved everything Baskin Robbins, except inexpensive barrels from them. My plan is to propane weed torch it. Will that work? Follow up plan is Comet and elbow grease. As a noob, am I on the right track?

Here is what I've found, I hate red liners. I cannot get rid of it. My next step is sandblasting. If the price is not right I will go with the purchase of a reconditioned, unlined drum. Hindsight, I should have done that first.

SmokerKing 05-16-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor800 (Post 3243187)
Here is what I've found, I hate red liners. I cannot get rid of it. My next step is sandblasting. If the price is not right I will go with the purchase of a reconditioned, unlined drum. Hindsight, I should have done that first.

Yes, if you live near a large city, there will be some type of container, packaging store. I've purchased all new barrels for my smokers. Prices anywhere from $55-$70 over the year. Well worth it in my book.

SmittyJonz 05-16-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Burn it out HOT for a few hrs, power wash it - super power wash - anything left was meant to stay - spray it with Pam n season it. Cook something.

Chitown_hillbilly 05-16-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

My current source for unlined barrels is the Local High School. They get all kinds of stuff in them, wax for the floors, Some sort of Anti freeze that they flush the boiler lines with, Oil at the bus barn, etc. They've got a dozen sitting around. Found the head maintenance guy at the bar one night and asked him if I could have one. Burned the crap out of it and haven't looked back.

Razor800 05-17-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokerKing (Post 3243194)
Yes, if you live near a large city, there will be some type of container, packaging store. I've purchased all new barrels for my smokers. Prices anywhere from $55-$70 over the year. Well worth it in my book.

When I started this quest, I called a local container store. They had a reconditioned, unlined drum for $65 or a higher gauge one for $95. I thought $65 was too much. Yeah, I was stupid. In propane and sweat equity I have that in it and it still isn't ready. I have a lead on a sandblaster and if the price is decent I am going that route. Live and learn.

B4tn 05-18-2015 09:42 PM

I have spent hours reading this thread and looking at builds. I wanted to subscribe to this thread and ask a few questions I couldn't find specific answers for.

1. I was going to paint the inside with some high temp grill paint. Seems like most people oil and season the inside. Does this cause issues with rust in wetter climates? Any reasons I should not paint the inside?

2. The goal is to make it look nice to keep the wife happy but still KISS. I really like the smoke stack look. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to say dual 1.5" stacks, 8 evenly spaced holes, or dual weber vents besides aesthetics?

3. A friend gave me a box shaped basket. I was going to put legs on it and try it out. Anyone else use box shaped baskets or are round baskets for some reason preferred?

Kaptain Kadian 05-18-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4tn (Post 3244997)
I have spent hours reading this thread and looking at builds. I wanted to subscribe to this thread and ask a few questions I couldn't find specific answers for.

1. I was going to paint the inside with some high temp grill paint. Seems like most people oil and season the inside. Does this cause issues with rust in wetter climates? Any reasons I should not paint the inside?

2. The goal is to make it look nice to keep the wife happy but still KISS. I really like the smoke stack look. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to say dual 1.5" stacks, 8 evenly spaced holes, or dual weber vents besides aesthetics?

3. A friend gave me a box shaped basket. I was going to put legs on it and try it out. Anyone else use box shaped baskets or are round baskets for some reason preferred?

Don't paint the inside. You don't want any paint getting into your meat as you are cooking. I repeat, do not paint the inside of the barrel. Oil and season. It won't rust like that.

Exhaust makes no difference on smoke stacks or many holes. You just want enough exhaust to have enough draw to pull the heat up. I use a pipe screwed into the 2 inch bung, simply because it was easier than drilling a bunch of holes and capping them off. To each his own on that.

Square or round basket makes no difference, just want it big enough to hold enough charcoal to do a long enough cook for a brisket or pork butt. I used a 18.5 inch weber grate with 12 inch tall expanded metal grating wrapped around it. Burns for a really long time full.

B4tn 05-19-2015 01:59 PM

Thanks! Maybe I am really over thinking this but I am driving myself crazy here. Everywhere I read states the golden rule of having the charcoal basket bottom 24" from the first rack. Now I am assuming that all 55 gallon drums are basicly the same and I have a new drum marked dot "7a type a". So I have approximately 33" of inside height with the flat lid on. If I do my intakes at 2" with the bottom of the grate resting at 3" from the bottom and measure up 24" that's only 6" to spare for cooking area. I dont plan on using a diffuser and I am concerned 6" is not enough space. I have literally spent the last 3 hours reading on the subject and cant seem to find a definitive answer. Some say 18" and up, some say just use a diffuser, some say 24" is gospel, and some say +/- couple inches wont matter. Am I over thinking this?