Too early to rub??

skwerlee

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have two pork shoulders going on the pit at daybreak tomorrow morning. When I need to get an early start I like to do as much prep work as I can the night before. It is too early to rub them down with my bbq rub tonight? Would that have an adverse effect?

The general complaint is a "hamy" flavor if you have too much salt in your rub.

Unless your rub has loads of salt you'll be fine rubbing it tonight. I rub and inject my butts the night before all the time with good results.

I've never been a fan of the early application of rub method.
Even when I competed I put the rub on minutes before the butts hit the pit.
Not saying early application is wrong, mind you. I would just get up earlier and rub them in the morning.

When I use my own rub...... I leave out all the salt and rub it down days before with olive oil or White BBQ sauce. And then add a little salt before smoking....... Or if you have a rub low in salt I rub days before. I am not much for salt. Never had a hammy flavor..... Of course not much salt. Ribs I do the same. So I would say go for it.,..... My method gets you layers of flavor in ribs.....

Your good to go, if it was ribs I'd be a little worried about salt causing hammy taste, but the butt has a lot of meat and when pulled you'll never have that issue.

I think you made the better decision. I usually do all of my prep the night before and rub while the cooker is getting up to temp on cook day.

I think you made the better decision. I usually do all of my prep the night before and rub while the cooker is getting up to temp on cook day.

^^^^^^^

This what I do as well with great resuits every time.

Good luck with the cook

I generally prep and rub pork butts/shoulders the night before I plan to smoke them and keep then in the reefer overnight.

On occasions, I've not been able to smoke them the next day (bad weather, family emergencies, whatever) and left them in the reefer for up to 3 days without ill effect. I wouldn't advise that as a rule, but it certainly didn't harm the pork.

Back