Quick brisket question

msweig

Reaction score
I trying to make my first brisket (on a Kamado Joe). I've read the basic stuff on when to tell it is done (easy to puncture, usually between 195-205). So I checked at 195. No go. Then I waited some time, and it was about 200 so I checked again. Point seems good or close to it. But oddly enough the flat doesn't. Now, if I actually watch the thermapen while going through the meat I'm not actually at 195 yet (no big deal, just means the one thermometer isn't positioned well). But what is weird is the flat seems to be 5-10 degrees behind the point. Which might explain why the point feels closer to done.

Is this normal? I would have expected the point to be cooler since it it thicker. Does it heat up faster since it has a higher fat content? If I get to the point where the point feels done but the flat doesn't should I pull, separate the two pieces, and return the flat?

Also, with the lower fat content will the flat always resist the probe a bit more?

For me, I always go by the doneness on the flat, and usually cook the point longer. There's a whole lot more fat in the point that needs to render out.

What bludawg said, just check the thickest part of the flat. Don't worry about the point, it will take care of itself.

Thanks all. I waited on the flat, but I "might" have gone a bit too long. The moisture in the flat wasn't bad, but the bark was a bit too tough. The point was awesome though. Good enough that I'm already making plans for another with some tweaks.

Thats the problem with lookin at the numbers on a thermometer. It gets ya thinking. Thinking is over rated. Its best to tape over the display are use an awl.

Congrats on the brisket cook....if your bark is too crusty butcher paper may help. Lotta direct heat in smaller cookers

Back