Picnic Shoulder

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I have a 4 lb picnic shoulder, I'd like to do on my rotisserie and slice it..The rotisserie should be at around 325-350, so how much time would it take to get slicing temp/165??
Thanks DanB

If it is a regular, bone-in picnic I would think it would be awfully chewy at 165°. That cut is normally done like a Boston Butt and cooked until the connective tissues are rendered.

Pork Shoulder

If it is a regular, bone-in picnic I would think it would be awfully chewy at 165°. That cut is normally done like a Boston Butt and cooked until the connective tissues are rendered.

Hi Yes it is a bone in picnic.. I don't want to pull it, just slice it. So at what temps should it done for slicing?
Thanks DanB

If you've got an SV machine, there are more options for slicing. Like 135 for 36-48 hours (use the pinch test), followed by a quick chill in ice water. Then when you're ready to finish it, take it out, dry it, add some rub, and smoke a few hours to 135-140 IT.

* Pinch test is basically "can you pinch up the surface"?

Hi All I added a netted butt roast on the rotisserie along with the 4 lb picnic.
Temps on WSM 22" got away from me..Didn't come out too bad the butt was much better then picnic.
Thanks Dan
I would post pics but it seems like no cares about this post, so I'll save the pics MB's for a better post

Back