1st attempt at Tri-Level w/ Dalmation Rub w/ PRON

4TheLoveofBrisket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing two briskets today. Picked up two 11 lb 'ish full packers at Wal-Mart. One had a big gash in the flat which I didn't notice until I opened them. Hopefully this doesn't dry that flat out. One is for dinner with the parents, and one to vaccum seal for later. Trying Popdaddy's Tri-Level with Dalmation technique. I've only got PRON for one of them.

Up at 3am. Stoked a fire on the old stickburner: Fuels of Choice? White oak and Mesquite.

5.jpg

De-cryo'ed the Briskets. Here's a shot pre-trim

Trimmed:

1_17Brisket002.jpg

Fat side up with a light coat of Bolners "Season It All".

1_17Brisket003.jpg

Fat side up with a liberal coat of a no salt rub I threw together. Rub consisted of:

3 Parts Ground Ancho Chili poweder
3 Parts Chili powder
3 Parts Granulated Garlic
3 Parts fresh ground celery seed
3 parts Onion Powder
3 Parts ground mustard seed
3 parts Paprika
2 Parts fresh ground Cumin

Next, a very liberal coating of Dalmation rub, without lemon pepper though. Having a hard time finding a no/low salt version.

After all that work, I found myself extremely famished and hungry so I made some Bean and cheese breakfast tacos:

1_17Brisket007.jpg

More pics later....

Oh man. Looking great so fsr. Gotcher real wood, brisket, dalmation rub and a Big Red sitting handy.

Keep the pron coming.

looking good! I like the Big Red pic also..that is some good stuff

Did you cut the point off of the brisket? Just looks like a flat to me, pics are a little blurry tho.

Nice! I love the Big Red.

Why did you put on another rub with the dalmation rub?

That's the technique.. :-D First, you start with light coat of a smaller grain seasoning salt. Then your signature rub (low or no salt, in my case). Then a generous coat of corase grained salt and pepper (aka dalmation rub). Supposed to use a no/low salt coarse lemon pepper too, but alas, I have not found a source yet. This is my first attempt with this technique, so we shall see. I'm putting all my eggs (briskets in this case) in Popdaddy's basket, and hoping he turns them to gold. :lol:

Did you cut the point off of the brisket? Just looks like a flat to me, pics are a little blurry tho.

Sorry for the blurry pics. This stupid camera I paid good money for doesn't take very good pics without a flash, and the flash was producing even worse pics.

Yes, the point is there. And I agree, it's not very pronounced. Perhaps a small cow, or maybe they over trimmed it at the packer?

6 1/2 hrs into it. Stayed around 220-240 for this time. Going to crank it up to about 275 - 300 for the remainder. It's done when it's done, right?

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

What time is dinner? I think I can smell them cooking all the way over here.
Did you get those briskets at the Belleville Wal-Mart?

What time is dinner? I think I can smell them cooking all the way over here.
Did you get those briskets at the Belleville Wal-Mart?

:lol: Didn't I just say, it's done when it's done? :lol: I'm taking a little more relaxed approach this time and not constantly monitoring temps and stressing like I normally do. I'm advising the parents to eat a later lunch, and I'll call them when to head on over. I'm trying for maybe 4 o'clock. But I'm not going to rush things.

I bought these at the Woodhaven store.

Speaking of Walmart, does anyone know how to tell what grade their briskets are? I'm assuming select, but I've read where some people have run across choice. It's not on either of the cryo-vac packs that I had anywhere...

The only thing is as far as temps. for this style and rub 220-240 is a dangerous area to start at but good once they weep or are over the stall.

In hot and fast, its not how fast you get the brisket into the 170 range that matters.... its what happens after. Another rub is another story.

So, I do endorse a ring setting temp of one to two hours of 200-220 degrees. Then crank it to 270 +. Once you hear those briskets drip and sizzle like when popcorn in the microwave is really getting going, THEN you can let it taper down if ya want or not. I either bank my briskets till tender (in piles of a layer of 5 fat down, my most cooked ones in the center fat down (moistening the flats from the bottom row) and the final layer of 5 fat up, protecting the briskets from the high temps while another pile of fresh briskets are put on.

View attachment 35961
Ready to Go

View attachment 35962
The Salt has melted at this point.

One note. If you have read my stuff on Salt Ratios, by NOT using a third ingredients like Lemon Pepper (even the salt kinds as I know its hard to get) you have raised the salt ratio to one to one inadvertently. This may be too salty for you from the looks of it. You can always like I mentioned use any other large grained ingredient or combination but it needs to be a third of your total mix. If you don't simply RUB the exsisting ratio you made which knocks off a lot of extras. When those briskets really weep, they shed off a lot of that salt but in doing so its like a mop almost. In high temp cooking, there is a fogg of grease and meat juices as the outside cooks... with the door closed, smoke goes up while the grease is just to heavy to make it oput of your stacks so it just keeps fizzing round.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the technique.. :-D First, you start with light coat of a smaller grain seasoning salt. Then your signature rub (low or no salt, in my case). Then a generous coat of corase grained salt and pepper (aka dalmation rub). Supposed to use a no/low salt coarse lemon pepper too, but alas, I have not found a source yet. This is my first attempt with this technique, so we shall see. I'm putting all my eggs (briskets in this case) in Popdaddy's basket, and hoping he turns them to gold. :lol:

Ah very interesting!

Looking forward to the finished pics.

Edit: Link to no salt lemon pepper
McCormick No Salt Lemon Pepper

You can also tweak it a bit my using the regular Lemmon Pepper at sams that has salt in it. I had to shift to this because my Church will only deal with sams. I like the Sams Lemon Pepper top because its grainy and matches the size of the koshure and pepper I use. Thsi ensures it all gets on the meat.

Using Montreal when my rub was the Atomic Dog Rub or Smokin Stuff, I used less salt too. So, I guess, though I stated with no salt lemon pepper, the mix was 1/3 salt. Now that I have gone to the Damatian I knocked th salt down to maybe about 1/4th. Thats another reason my color is differnt in my videos.

Popdaddy

The only thing is as far as temps. for this style and rub 220-240 is a dangerous area to start at but good once they weep or are over the stall.

In hot and fast, its not how fast you get the brisket into the 170 range that matters.... its what happens after. Another rub is another story.

So, I do endorse a ring setting temp of one to two hours of 200-220 degrees. Then crank it to 270 +. Once you hear those briskets drip and sizzle like when popcorn in the microwave is really getting going, THEN you can let it taper down if ya want or not. I either bank my briskets till tender (in piles of a layer of 5 fat down, my most cooked ones in the center fat down (moistening the flats from the bottom row) and the final layer of 5 fat up, protecting the briskets from the high temps while another pile of fresh briskets are put on.

View attachment 35961
Ready to Go

View attachment 35962
The Salt has melted at this point.

One note. If you have read my stuff on Salt Ratios, by NOT using a third ingredients like Lemon Pepper (even the salt kinds as I know its hard to get) you have raised the salt ratio to one to one inadvertently. This may be too salty for you from the looks of it. You can always like I mentioned use any other large grained ingredient or combination but it needs to be a third of your total mix. If you don't simply RUB the exsisting ratio you made which knocks off a lot of extras. When those briskets really weep, they shed off a lot of that salt but in doing so its like a mop almost. In high temp cooking, there is a fogg of grease and meat juices as the outside cooks... with the door closed, smoke goes up while the grease is just to heavy to make it oput of your stacks so it just keeps fizzing round.

Doh! I forgot about the fact that the third ingredient (lemon pepper) cuts the salt. But I'm confident. I couldn't resist, and sliced off a little piece earlier, and it wasn't too salty. And the taste was excellent. So, while I did make a few mistakes with the process overall, I 'think' I'm still going to turn out a better product than I have before. But, I'm only at half time, so we'll see how the game ends.

Thanks for your input barbefunkoramaque, without all your knowledge I wouldn't even know about this dalmation technique. :mrgreen:

Currently sitting around 165 ish.... I'm going to take a less exact approach this time and wait until just before the flat is probe tender and wrap and rest in the cooler. Not even going to take a real temp reading in the end, I'm just going to go by feel. I think taking temp readings makes me paranoid and react too quickly when I'm down to the end of the cook. Perhaps I'm getting a little cocky here, so we shall see.

Currently sitting around 165 ish.... I'm going to take a less exact approach this time and wait until just before the flat is probe tender and wrap and rest in the cooler. Not even going to take a real temp reading in the end, I'm just going to go by feel. I think taking temp readings makes me paranoid and react too quickly when I'm down to the end of the cook. Perhaps I'm getting a little cocky here, so we shall see.

I have cooked my last 3 or 4 packers that way and they have all been perfect so keep your confidence and it will be fine.

For no salt Lemon Pepper, I went with "Mrs Dash" brand. All their seasonings are No Salt.

NUTZ

Heres my current version of the Dirty Dalamtian rub.

Now we all know its origins are in Lockhart, Taylor, Llano, Luling types of Texas joints and its called that because its mostly salt and pepper.

Dirty Dalamtian is created from other ingredients that are larger in size ,like oragano leaves, certain lemon peppers, red pepper flakes, anything cunky and dry that you want carried into the meat with the salt (which links to flavor).

Plus you never know from minute to minute what a dog is gonna lay in. LOL

Here are some links to my current mix.

Part One - Of course coarse Koshure or sea salt (the latter will ring your brisket more)

Part Two - Pepper, http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=45
Note, in a video of Muellers he says 60 mesh - no... he uses 20 liek this or close. I think eh is trying to fool someone. I have mentioned I use 60 mesh - that was to throw people. I use 20 mesh like this. VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Part Three - Other Stuff I toss in to that last third. These are options and yoo can mix them... say your part system is made up of cups. It would be one cup salt, one cup pepper and one cup of extra stuff at any ration as long as the total of this third part does not exceed one cup. I hope yall get this.

Lemon Pepper Sams - Major Component
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=32
Has salt but just lower the Salt ratio to accomodate.

Optional - Greek Mix I like to call it (no salt)
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=27
Love this and its always hanging round the church.

Option - Like Garlic? MINCED
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=28
This can be dangerous if you use too much. Not because its too garlicy, but because it burns. Onion Mince has the same problem.

Option - This is Off the chain and large grained - No salt Garlic Pepper Mix
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=29
Better choice than minced garlic but keep an eye on your pepper ratios.

Option - John Travolta Eat your heart out - Italian Mix
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=31
Like the used to like the mixed better than just Oregano Leaves but you may differ.

CAVEAT!!!!!!!!!!!

If I buy this http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=45

Option - I might as well BUY THIS - http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=98

Option -Amust in your rub. http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=97

pay no attention to this
http://www.tones.com/products/display_product.php?product_id=9
Or
Either rub some of this in with your powders or inject using the old drippings defatted and strained from the last brisket you made. That's right, inject with old smokey drippings. this

its out - you can lay it in it too its just invisable

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to post an update. Pulled 1 of 2 and carved it up for me and the parents for dinner earlier. Hunger had set in extremely badly, and I didn't snap any pics. The second one is resting in the cooler as I type. I'll get some pics after it's rested for a couple hours and I carve that bad boy up. Regarding #1, it was by far the best brisket I've ever done, and I've done quite a few in my 10 years of this habit. #2 was being extremely stubborn in getting done. It was on the pit for almost 13 hrs!! The bark is a little dry, but I'm hoping wrapping and holding in a cooler will help moisten it back up. For those looking to up their briskets a notch, try the tri-level dalmation rub. It's worth it!!!

Back