The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ON THE FARM 08-19-2008 07:48 PM

WOW $150 shipping?

h20loo 08-20-2008 05:40 AM

Wow- this should be in the Guinness!!!
Or at least we should have a Guinness!
I just browsed back thru and there sure is a lot of good stuff in here- truly a manual but with out an index LOL!

STX Cue 08-20-2008 07:51 AM

The real reason I asked was that during one of my many forays into this thread, I saw a similar looking basket. And the plans are something anyone who has built one could put together. They aren't complicated pieces of machinery, after all. Sure, you can trick them out with accessories, but it is still a pretty basic design.

I'll go for a Guinness! Well, not before 0800. That would be too early. AFTER 0800 is a different story.

An index...man, what a great idea. I wonder how long it would take to index 1500 posts?

jiarby 08-20-2008 11:09 AM

A UDS Wiki !

kitch 08-20-2008 01:48 PM

most USD's I've seen only have 2 grill shelves in them (rack not correct word). what is the most that some of you have tried with success for skinny stuff like ribs or jerky

N8man 08-20-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitch (Post 716665)
most USD's I've seen only have 2 grill shelves in them (rack not correct word). what is the most that some of you have tried with success for skinny stuff like ribs or jerky

I have Three Cooking Grates in mine, using them all at the same time has been a challenge to me...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/vb_galle...?dl=1218403778

Mark 08-20-2008 02:30 PM

2 grates in the drum proper and 2 additional with the extension

sfbbqguy 08-21-2008 07:49 PM

cutting top off Closed Top Drum

New guy. First post. Building first UDS.
Should have read this thread prior to obtaing drum. Have Closed Top drum and looking for simple suggestions on how to remove the top (other than a $50 Drum Deheader)?

kitch 08-21-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 717739)
Should have read this thread prior to obtaing drum. Have Closed Top drum and looking for simple suggestions on how to remove the top (other than a $50 Drum Deheader)?

what i'm doing is I got a grinder from harbor freight tools
the cheap one...was 18 bucks...

grinded the top off...

got a weber cover...had to bend it just a little bit to get it to fit.

I need to figure out best way not to cut the vent holes...wondering which is better a holesaw or knockout

N8man 08-21-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfbbqguy (Post 717739)

Jigsaw with fine tooth metal cutting blade is your Friend:-D

Norcoredneck 08-21-2008 09:20 PM

Some cut, some carefully grind the lid roll where it's crimped avoiding the drum. never did it myself.

Retread 08-21-2008 09:21 PM

I used a reciprocating saw on the drum head, made quick work of it. Vent hole I used a hole saw, next time I'll use step bits. The hole using the hole saw was ragged at best..... china freight has the step bit set that drills to 1 3/8" for $15

Mark 08-22-2008 08:45 AM

SFBBQGUY: This is where cheap Harbor Freight air tools shine

high speed cut off saws, nibblers, body panel saws. Either one of these or drop a grand for plasma cutting. Or get a cheap electric recip saw with several thin metal cutting blades. HF had one for $20

ComputerMike 08-22-2008 09:08 AM

I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. A cut off wheel in a circular saw works as well and the larger disk makes it easier to cut straight.

After I cut off the top I ground down the edge with an angle ginder and then sanded with a belt sander. A little hand sanding and it is golden.

On a side note, if the Weber lid fits over the fixed drum lid I would cut the lid inside the bead from the top.

sfbbqguy 08-22-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retread (Post 717843)
I used a reciprocating saw on the drum head, made quick work of it. Vent hole I used a hole saw, next time I'll use step bits. The hole using the hole saw was ragged at best..... china freight has the step bit set that drills to 1 3/8" for $15

Thanks boys. Weber lid fits perfect on outside so will try reciprocating saw on inside lip.
Still holding out for a potential OpenTopper from same source I got the Closed Topper.