The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

porcinepirate 01-23-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MushCreek (Post 1154419)
I like it! The bottom of the Weber looks like a good idea. What keeps it from sliding off in windy weather?

Right not it is not fully engaged but very close (part of it below the lip and some on the lip. I think the first thing I am going to try is to flatten out the rim edge, this should make is sit in and rest on the bolts holding up the grill.

Porcine Pirate

" Pigs are our Tasty Friends "

Smokin'Ron 01-23-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1154481)
Ron, I like your hitch pin idea. It can be tricky getting the botton grate in and out with stationary bolts for the top grate. Nice idea bro. I would be very leary of only using three points to hold any grate. From experience, it may surprise you how easy it is to dump a brisket into the bottom of your barrel. Four points would be a lot safer. Keep us posted as it looks great so far. Hope the fire basket works out. It might make a real hot spot in the center of the grate. Let us know.

Thanks Meat... I'll install another in the wider gap since I forgt to measure twice and drill once. I have a wider space on one side so that will be the forth ubolt. I have 4 Hitch Pins for the top rack adn drilled for 4, just need to get the washers and extra pins.

First burn in progress. I'm not sure it's getting hot enough high enough in the barrel. Bottm looks good and hot and is burning the outside, but the top still has the original paint on the outside? Should I be concerned? I'm going to do another burn, just curious how I should make certin it gets to the top. I had flames shooting out??? Still not convinced it did 100% burn.

sdb25 01-23-2010 08:05 PM

The 3 3/4" intakes are fine. You will most likely find you keep 2 closed all the way, and fine tune the temp with the last one (thats why you only leave them all open during initial startup, and why most people just put removable caps on those two).

For the nipples, go to the hardware store and get "black iron pipe nipples". These are used for gas lines, and usually in the area where the black iron pipe is.

Don't use copper, galvanized, or PVC. Galvanized is typically just zinc unless it's really old, but may be better to be safe.

Or you could just leave the drilled holes and cover them with magnets like some people do.

Ahh, the beauty of improvising and the UDS.

caliking 01-24-2010 08:58 AM

The first drum I cut with an angle grinder didn't look too pretty:-D had to hammer down the edges so I don't shred my arm reaching in to the drum. The second drum I cut was much better. I saved the removed tops for door hatches and such (I made one for my tandoor, but you might not need a hatch for a UDS

GldnKniteofBBQ 01-24-2010 03:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gettin close on finishing my first smoker project....Charcoal basket done... just got the proper nipples for my ball valves (hehehe) Thanks SDB25, i had to go with brass tho, no black iron...everything was PVC, copper, brass, or galvanized... now im just waiting on the hi temp paint to dry on the inside....Next up is seasoning it ! I'll add new PRON when i get the outside painted....i was able to find some high temp metallic gold paint online and when that comes in i'll get the exterior done.

I wish this would hurry, im craving ribs.......

N8man 01-24-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GldnKniteofBBQ (Post 1155478)
now im just waiting on the hi temp paint to dry on the inside....

Whoa, whoa, whoa....you shouldn't paint the inside....
You want bare metal on the inside.

Paul B 01-24-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8man (Post 1155488)
Whoa, whoa, whoa....you shouldn't paint the inside....
You want bare metal on the inside.

Ya, I read that too :eek::eek::eek:

Paul B
SS UDS

GldnKniteofBBQ 01-24-2010 03:38 PM

hmmmm.....too late now :) Why not tho, it shouldn't effect its ability to hold heat and it should add a little protection (along with seasoning it) against rust.

N8man 01-24-2010 03:43 PM

Because of a little thing I like to call,"Lethal Toxicity"
The paint will outgas as it heats up and poison your food.
Not a pleasant afternoon of BBQing then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GldnKniteofBBQ (Post 1155496)
hmmmm.....too late now :) Why not tho, it shouldn't effect its ability to hold heat and it should add a little protection (along with seasoning it) against rust.

Phesant 01-24-2010 03:44 PM

Well that's just scary.... paint, heat..... nocuous gasses....mmmmmm

GldnKniteofBBQ 01-24-2010 03:47 PM

dang it..... can i burn it off, or am i stuck having to grind it all off?

N8man 01-24-2010 03:53 PM

I'd do a couple of high heat burns in it, then sand what was left.
Better safe than sorry, Brother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GldnKniteofBBQ (Post 1155502)
dang it..... can i burn it off, or am i stuck having to grind it all off?

GldnKniteofBBQ 01-24-2010 03:57 PM

i thought this Hi-Temp BBQ paint was made to handle the heat...... i guess im still in the "denial" phase of grieving :)

GldnKniteofBBQ 01-24-2010 04:13 PM

ok, i flew through the anger phase...and on to acceptance. Gonna make a call to a local sandblasting co tomorrow. Any idea on what type of prices i can expect for that?

Sammy_Shuford 01-24-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GldnKniteofBBQ (Post 1155532)
ok, i flew through the anger phase...and on to acceptance. Gonna make a call to a local sandblasting co tomorrow. Any idea on what type of prices i can expect for that?

No, but post what you find out!