The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Barbarian 12-21-2007 11:03 PM

That is sweet. Where did you get the barrel?
I don't think I can sneak the Toxic BBQ barrel on my flight back to NorCal and need to find something out there. Wondering how much the freight will be!!

Merry Xmas to all Bretheren out there!!

Scudrunr 12-22-2007 04:05 PM

The barrel is from grainger PN-4GY35. shipping was $25.00

The exhaust might be too much, its taking longer than I thought to warm up. I turned both of the exhausts the same direction to prevent a draft between the stacks. If it is too much exhaust I can put some orifices in the stacks.

I got a late start but we are at 122* and rising.

(I smell smoked!)

Scudrunr 12-22-2007 04:14 PM

151*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Picture371.jpg

Irrad8 12-22-2007 05:53 PM

looks good Scudrunr. Did you have to burn out that barrel or did it come (can you get them) unlined?

keale 12-22-2007 05:57 PM

Hows the temp. comming? after the basket is lit, you should hit 300* pretty quick, with my prob. "too much" exhaust, it would get too hot, not too cold...
Just stick an old towel, in the pipe, "don't ask me how I know mod."

Beerwolf 12-23-2007 09:59 AM

Seems like welding a big arse fender washer on the bottom side of the lid, at the opening, and choking each stack by AT LEAST 50% would do the trick and still look cool. making your own butterfly-valve type dampeners would be cool too maybe do both. Id say if you can come close to the area of a weber exhaust, you'd be in the ball park. Anyway's that 's what worked for me

N8man 12-23-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scudrunr (Post 520214)

Fantastic job with your DrumPit!!! How are you measuring the Temps?
If you are using a Dial Type Therm mounted on the DrumPit side, the temp can vary from the side of the drum to the center of the cooking grate
by as much as 100 degrees, at least that has been the case with mine...I
use an Electronic Temp Probe on the cooking grate for additional temp exactness....

Scudrunr 12-23-2007 10:16 AM

Well yesterday was funny, ended up not getting any meat on her. Just lit it today, and we will see how it goes.

Yesterday I lit it , temps started coming up slowly but after about 45min I was hitting 250* I was going to go to 300* for a seasoning run then ramp it down and do some cooking. The thing was, I hit 250* and immediately lost about 10* without ever touching anything. I went out and blocked half of each exhaust but the temps kept falling. I opened her up, shook the basket, and left a single exhaust open. Then my family decided to go to dinner. So I had to leave her mid-experiment. ( BBQ wasn't the dinner plan anyway)

How much exhaust area does the weber have? I have about 6 square inches of exhaust area with both open, or 3in right now.

I'm also thinking the fire box is too skinny? I bought the expanded steel in 12"x24" and welded the ends together, its like 2 coffee cans stacked on each other.

Temp is taken digitaly and analog. I have a maverick I'm watching from inside that is on the side directly below the grate, I'm going to move that right now.

Scudrunr 12-23-2007 10:25 AM

Just moved the probe and got ~50* difference, oh my!

N8man 12-23-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scudrunr (Post 520597)

I'm also thinking the fire box is too skinny? I bought the expanded steel in 12"x24" and welded the ends together, its like 2 coffee cans stacked on each other.

Was this one piece of expanded metal you welded up or two end to end?
My basket looks like this:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...4&d=1182598999
Two 12x24 pieces bolted end to end and rolled into a circle,
with the Weber Charcoal Grate being 2.5 inches from the bottom of the basket so the ashefall don't choke down the fire.

Scudrunr 12-23-2007 10:38 AM

Yeah, I need a wider basket...

wlh3 12-23-2007 10:47 AM

Scudrunr my expanded metal was 7 X 48 in rolled into a circle and bolted together dia. is 14 in + or - a bit It will hold 12 to 14 lbs no problem8)

mvk2604 12-23-2007 11:07 AM

single inlet ugly smoker

to Scudrunner ....I have to ask This possibly stooooopid question. I have followed the Ugly Smoker thread but am confused as to the air inlet. Does the pipe end at the bottom of the barrel or does it also continue on to the middle of the barrel inside as the other design that has three inlets on the bottom.(bringing air to the basket)

mvk2604
Marty

Scudrunr 12-23-2007 11:21 AM

The pipe stops at the side of the barrel. Maybe not the best idea, however I have an ash catch bowl that would make things difficult. Things are steady right now at 230* I will construct a bigger basket in time for next weekend. I would make more mods right now but I have to get this brisket cooked or else it would have to wait a week, and I don't want it sitting in the fridge that long.

mvk2604 12-23-2007 11:42 AM

love the stacks!!!!

Marty