The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

biffleg 06-01-2007 02:46 PM

Thanks for the responses. My dad says he has the needed bits, etc. - so I'll see what he comes up with and if needed - we go back for the 1/2 inch size!

If you're not tired of seeing another UDS being built ... but I'll try to keep everyone updated as we progress!

ipls3355 06-01-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 404269)
Thanks for the responses. My dad says he has the needed bits, etc. - so I'll see what he comes up with and if needed - we go back for the 1/2 inch size!

If you're not tired of seeing another UDS being built ... but I'll try to keep everyone updated as we progress!

Yes please, I'm planning on doing one myself

swamprb 06-02-2007 04:43 AM

FYI!

While you guy are checking the Electrician's nuts and tightening your nipples, Greenlee makes a step drill bit that I believe will cut to 1 1/2" holes. Both Lowes and HD have them ( @ $50+ ) along with a 7/8" bit ( $35 ) They are kind of hidden near the wiring and conduits.

I'd like to see the progress!

Brian

Norcoredneck 06-02-2007 05:07 AM

I used a 1" hole saw to make a hole where 3/4" pipe nipples screw into
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1907.jpg

Here is a 3/4" X 1/2" bushing threaded in hole. I welded mine but as I suggested eariler you could lock in with conduit nuts.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1908.jpg

Here is 3/4" nipple welded.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1909.jpg

And valve installed
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...neck/valve.jpg

outside ed 06-02-2007 05:30 AM

Nice job there, I stand in awe of you guys that have that mechanical ability. Ed.

Beerwolf 06-09-2007 11:47 PM

OK.,,, you really got my curiousity going now.... where can I find a good pictorial on building one of these things??

qman 06-10-2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 408927)
OK.,,, you really got my curiousity going now.... where can I find a good pictorial on building one of these things??

Beerwolf, your question makes it sound like you may not have started at the begining of this thread. If not, that would be a very good place to start.

bman 06-10-2007 06:08 AM

yeah, plenty of info and pics....now all I need to find is some good barrels....Any ideas what type business I could bug for cheap or free barrels?

bman

thirdeye 06-10-2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Yeah, what qman said. Hey, nice avatar. :mrgreen:

JW 06-10-2007 11:37 AM

Here's a photo of one of my drum smokers, as you can see it is a little different. I used a section of 2 inch steel/aluminum exhaust tubing to make a fresh air intake tube. I welded it in the drum about 2 inches from the bottom. On top of the air intake tube I have an adjustable slide to regulate the amount of air entering the drum and to also act as a rain guard. I used a piece of 3 inch steel/aluminum exhaust tubing to make an exhaust stack, it also has an adjustable slide to act as a rain guard. There is no bending over to adjust the air intake ballvalves. (This makes it alot easier on the 'ol back, not alot of bending and easy to see if cooking at night in areas that don't have good light) Construction is open to the imagination. :idea:

http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrid...ic001-copy.jpg

I placed 5th in both pork shoulder and chicken using this smoker design at the 1st comp I carried it too.:-D

bman 06-10-2007 11:41 AM

I like your idea there JW, is the air control similar to the "Ball Valve" Method?

JW 06-10-2007 12:01 PM

Thanks Bman, hopefully you can see in this photo how the slide is made. I have a support brace from the barrell to the air tube. It is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches wide. I cut a piece of 16 gauge steel so that it completely covers the air tube opening plus about 3/16 inch overhang all the way around in a teardrop shape. This provides an extension finger on the cover that I drilled a 1/4" clearance hole in and then fastened to the support brace with a 1/4" stud and wing nut. I can loosen the wing nut then move the cover to either open or close off the air tube opening to obtain the desired air flow for the cooking temp I need. I find that it is usually open less than 1/2 inch and will stay at 220 degrees throughout the cooking cycle.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrid...ic002-copy.jpg

I have problems out of the 'ol back from time to time that limits my bending over to adjust the conventional design UDS. As you can see there are also no ball valves to purchase. The air tube never gets hot and you can adjust the air intake cover with your bare hands. The cover on the exhaust stack stays open during the cooking cycle.

I'll try to get some better photos later this evening.

keale 06-10-2007 12:33 PM

[quote=JW;409088]Construction is open to the imagination. :idea:

or skills, or tools! :-D
very nice drum!

thirdeye 06-10-2007 12:40 PM

JW,

There was a guy, I think on a YouTube video, that had the same set-up. You never think about it, but draft is draft no matter where the opening.

I've played with idea of ordering a Guru adaptor and mounting it to my BDS for winter cooks. I would need some kind kind of S shaped tube, either outside or inside the cooker, so the fan would not be right on the ground (and in the snow). I haven't done it because it works so well as is.

A bigger side table, maybe removeable, is next on the list.

biffleg 06-10-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 409131)
A bigger side table, maybe removeable, is next on the list.

I'm not going to say I wasn't paying attention this morning it church - but the thought of a side table mod did run through my mind. Trying to figure out what would be a good size.

thirdeye 06-10-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 409144)
I'm not going to say I wasn't paying attention this morning it church - but the thought of a side table mod did run through my mind. Trying to figure out what would be a good size.

This one is okay for thermometers and other gadgets. I'm thinking one that goes a quarter of the way around, following the contour of the drum and about 8" deep. I'm just not sure what I would put on it. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...S/25bbadff.jpg

circle m 06-10-2007 02:02 PM

no door needed

I have 6 1/2" close nipples around the bottom of my drum, usually cook with 3-4 open, depends on how much meat is on the grill. I have 8 holes in the lid, 6 are 1/2", 2 are 7/8". I drilled out two of them to get my temps a little higher
I took a charcoal grate from a a 22" kettle and welded expanded metal around it for the fire box. The grate has 3" of metal below it for air and ash, and 10" above the grate. It holds 12 pounds of charcoal, and 34 fist sized chnks of wood.
The best run I've done is 12 hours with 12 pounds of charcoal, holding 225 degrees at the meat height. You're going to love cooking on this thing, when it's time to clean out, just tip it over.
I ran to loads of charcoal with a little wood to season mine.

circle m 06-10-2007 02:04 PM

good drums available

If you're looking for clean food grade drums, there's a gun in las vegas selling like new drums for 20.00 on e bay.

bman 06-10-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circle m (Post 409163)
If you're looking for clean food grade drums, there's a gun in las vegas selling like new drums for 20.00 on e bay.

Yeah, been looking at that. But shipping to me is like 45.00. I am trying to get some cheaper than 65.00. But, if I cant find them local, then......ebay it is.

tntitan 06-10-2007 02:35 PM

when i finished mine i got it hot and rubbed veg. oil on the inside and out instead of painting mine it looks like gloss black paint i put oil in a spray bottle and started spraying

Napper 06-10-2007 02:39 PM

Just don't tell your friends about the UDS!
Especially don't tell them that you got a big supply of drum too!

It is hot as hell here today (94 degrees in the shade, 105 is my shop!, 95% humidity) and I have may ass out there building a drum for a friend of mine! He is on the way to help me finish. He wants to give it to has father in law for a father's day present so we are pushed to get it built. The things you do for true friends.

This is drum #11 I have built in the past year! I have all of my friends and family cooking on the drum! Brother, cousins, friends, etc.!

One thing for sure....I have a lot of "favors" that people owe me for the future!

OH YeaH! I have kept three for myself. They have been retrofitted with thermostated controlled fans so I just set and forget. (I do not built these types for friends...If they want to modify they are on their own!)

JW 06-10-2007 07:22 PM

Your right thirdeye draft is draft regardless of where it comes from. I did happen to see the You Tube video, it only strengthened my thoughts about the air inlet tube. I am also using a smaller version of the Klose charcoal basket. It has 2 1/2'" legs on it to give it height, its 15" square X 6" deep design will usually provide 12 plus hours of cooking time at 220 degrees, when I close the vents and put out the fire I usually have some charcoal or lump left over, haven't let it burn fully to find out how long it would last but it could go easily go 14 maybe 16 hours.

Jeff_in_KC 06-10-2007 07:29 PM

Those look like some other trash can cookers I know of... :wink:

JW 06-10-2007 08:38 PM

Bman here are the photos of the covers over the air intake tube and exhaust stack, very simple to make.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrider/UDS001-copy.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrider/UDS002-copy.jpg

As you can tell I experiment alot, here are some of the most recent ones I'm using. I have the inlet tube on all and a variety of exhaust lids, however I find that the one with the 3 inch exhaust tube seems to do best for some reason than the ones with the holes drilled in the lids. Also if your UDS sits uncovered on the patio you don't have to worry about covering it or plugging the holes to keep water out, just close the cover on the stacks.

http://usera.imagecave.com/TNroadrider/UDS003-copy.jpg

You can never have too many smokers!:mrgreen:

bman 06-11-2007 06:53 AM

Thanks JW.....Now if I could just find some cheap drums locally I'll be ready to build.

RIX 06-11-2007 02:24 PM

I've been shopping for a WSM trying to find the best price locally, looks like 209.00, but sounds like for 50 bucks I can make one of these baby's. Is a UDS ok for a newbie? Or is there a lot you need to know about smoking in general before trying to cook on one of these?

Bigmista 06-11-2007 03:17 PM

The UDS is great for a newbie! Set it and forget it!

tntitan 06-11-2007 04:04 PM

i have used mine three times and it keeps getting better i now have the tempature down and the meat is real good like big says set it and forget it he is right i was willing to spend big money on a smoker and didnt have to spend but 30.00 on all the hardware uds it was well worth it

Napper 06-11-2007 04:09 PM

I don't see how much easier you could get than a drum!!!!!!!!!!

You will be an expert in three cooks.

RIX 06-11-2007 04:28 PM

Well that is great, I think I may try to track down the material to make one of these too, heck for 30-50 bucks who could pass it up. Looks sweet, great thread.

tony76248 06-11-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Not sure I can handle two dancing peppers???????

tntitan 06-11-2007 07:40 PM

well just spent another 23.00 to make a table top around half my drum it worked out really well will send pic soon

biffleg 06-11-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntitan (Post 409799)
well just spent another 23.00 to make a table top around half my drum it worked out really well will send pic soon

Can't wait for the pics ... been thinking about the same mod myself!

MTHank 06-12-2007 03:32 PM

H E L P ! ! !

I have read through all this drum smoker stuff and I keep hearing (reading that is) about using "food grade" barrels. Will any barrel work as long as it did not have DDT or Raid in it? Specifically if it had motor oil in it??? I can get all the barrels I want but they had motor oil in them and if they are OK to use what do I need to do to get the oil out? Cleaning solvent or just burn long and hot??
Thanks!!!

motley que 06-12-2007 04:16 PM

boy, i would really be careful about motor oil, I would think no matter how much ya burn it there would still be nasties all around, but what do i know. I would think in montana you could find some at feed stores or craigslist

swamprb 06-12-2007 05:01 PM

OK- I need some inspiration for some table designs for the UDS. I've been toying around with the type I did for the WSM. Lets see what you got!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/100_1554.jpg

Brian

tntitan 06-12-2007 08:53 PM

My smoker

2 Attachment(s)
This is the table I built for my smoker yesterday 06/11/07

Napper 06-12-2007 09:10 PM

I love the table.
Does it make the drum top heavy?

"I have got to have me one of these!" -- Will Smith

biffleg 06-12-2007 09:16 PM

tntitan -

Really liking the look of the table. Curious on how you mounted it to the drum. Hard to tell by the pictures. Thanks!

tntitan 06-12-2007 09:33 PM

it is not top heavy at all and it is also a piece of solid surface like corian i mounted with angle iron it is what these smokers needed

biffleg 06-12-2007 09:40 PM

Great idea - still not sure what I'm going to do for my shelf though. I'm thinking something not quite as large as yours - and maybe some type of drop leaf design????

tntitan 06-12-2007 09:42 PM

i am going to orlando next month i am going to pick up the 110 gallon drum up there to start my next project picking it up at orlando drum

bman 06-13-2007 06:07 AM

YEAH!!!! I have scored 4 barrels for 10 a piece....And the ability to get more when the guy has them......YEAH!!!!!!

Now, let the UDS Madness begin:twisted: . With all the wonderful ideas here, should be a simple process. Thanks.

Wow....110 gallons. Are you going to build a spiral staircase for it? J/K...Cool find on that.

motley que 06-13-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffleg (Post 410351)
Great idea - still not sure what I'm going to do for my shelf though. I'm thinking something not quite as large as yours - and maybe some type of drop leaf design????

i too am trying to figure out a drop leaf design. i need it to take up as little space as possible

biffleg 06-13-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley que (Post 410456)
i need it to take up as little space as possible

That was my thinking!

Norcoredneck 06-13-2007 09:34 AM

Keep adding to them and you won't be able to clasify them as UGLY drum smokers.

Bottles 'n Bones BBQ 06-13-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley que (Post 410456)
i too am trying to figure out a drop leaf design. i need it to take up as little space as possible

How about having the table a few inches over the barrel itself? Sure would save some space while in use or put up.

A fella could mount a light weight tabletop on an pivot hinge which is secured to the side of the barrel. The whole table can then swing out of the way when the lid needs to be removed...or, just out of the way while cooking.

An old HD door hinge and pin made from some mild round stock ought to work...pretty sure anyway.

motley que 06-13-2007 09:36 AM

i am thinking if i can find a locking type of hinge that is large enough, put a couple on 1 side and attach some wood to it I have a drop table attached to my kitchen wall and am tring to figure out a way to duplicate it on the drum

Bigmista 06-14-2007 06:26 PM

I think this is the video mentioned a little while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpbwAXdKf0

Scottyj13 06-14-2007 06:51 PM

Great video!