The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   storage life of vacuumed sealed meat (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108840)

BeerBQue74 06-15-2011 12:40 PM

storage life of vacuumed sealed meat

Hello,
I had a question about storage life of vacuumed sealed meat. How long would it be safe to use if frozen from the time of purchase?

Thanks,

CelticRaven 01-16-2012 02:50 PM

If the vac seal is good and the packaging doesnt have any pinholes it it freezer burn is almost non-existent. Safe? It is kept frozen from time you bought it, I have stuff that I have had frozen for well over a year in vac bags with no issue at all. Found some venison from about two years ago the other day it cooked up fine :)

BBQchef33 01-16-2012 03:18 PM

Well sealed, no leaks, fresh frozen and kept below 0*F. Over a year. After that theres claims there may be degradation in flavors, but i never noticed. good sealing is key.

Grillman 01-16-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBQue74 (Post 1675091)
Hello,
I had a question about storage life of vacuumed sealed meat. How long would it be safe to use if frozen from the time of purchase?

Thanks,

Forever.
After it having been frozen for a year, or 5 years, or 20 years....it may not
taste as good as fresh meat, but it will always be safe to eat.

caseydog 01-16-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBQue74 (Post 1675091)
Hello,

Thanks,

I've gone pretty close to a year with no issues. The only time I ever have a problem is if I don't get the bag well sealed, and air gets in. I have to watch for those, and used them first, so freezer burn doesn't mess them up.

CD

CelticRaven 01-19-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 1916760)
Well sealed, no leaks, fresh frozen and kept below 0*F. Over a year. After that theres claims there may be degradation in flavors, but i never noticed. good sealing is key.

Dude I am totally with ya!!! I did a couple venison tenderloins a few years ago, nobody knew the difference between the ones from 3 months ago and two years earlier, and they were not heavily seasoned for the BBQ, they were lightly seasoned braised and sliced rare with a brandy cream sauce over them. o not a lot to mask bad flavor.

But you hit the nail on the head GOOD SEALING IS KEY!!!!!!! :clap2:

Midnight Smoke 01-19-2012 06:30 PM

A deep freeze helps a lot too, not a ordinary Fridge/Freezer. .