The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BBQ with Franklin: Thanksgiving part 1 (Video Link) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148115)

Toronto 11-20-2012 08:56 AM

BBQ with Franklin: Thanksgiving part 1 (Video Link)

BBQ with Franklin: Thanksgiving part 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin

Wont let me embed for some reason, anyway enjoy and discuss.

RW 11-20-2012 09:17 AM

Thanks. Your post was prompter than my subscription notification.

Toronto 11-20-2012 09:54 AM

Is it common in Texas to do your Turkey with just salt and pepper?

JS-TX 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toronto (Post 2276509)
Is it common in Texas to do your Turkey with just salt and pepper?

Yep, as with a lot of other meats. Q joints especially.

Oldyote 11-20-2012 11:33 AM

So he is going to pull the turkey and then slather it in butter. And then what?

&^$#^$&()*_)(^%$ Franklin I need to know right now.

PatioDaddio 11-20-2012 05:58 PM

Thanksgiving Part Two is also up there. I gotta say that that is one gnarly
looking turkey, and not in a good way. He mentions that his fire wasn't
burning as cleanly as he would of liked, but man!

John

JS-TX 11-20-2012 08:04 PM

Cool, thanks.

---k--- 11-20-2012 08:47 PM

Part 3 is up. The bird doesn't look so gnarly when he is cutting it. Maybe bad lighting in part 2 or maybe good editing in part 3. Who knows... But, I'm not sure about 1# of butter. Wow!

JS-TX 11-20-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ---k--- (Post 2277012)
Part 3 is up. The bird doesn't look so gnarly when he is cutting it. Maybe bad lighting in part 2 or maybe good editing in part 3. Who knows... But, I'm not sure about 1# of butter. Wow!

A lb of butter is a lot maybe cause he was using it for gravy and other stuff too. A few months back when I was at his restaurant, I saw his turkey sitting in a bunch of butter. I didn't order any but it looked good.

Limp Brisket 11-21-2012 04:00 PM

Not impressed at all.

Happy Hapgood 11-21-2012 04:42 PM

Very Cool! Thanks!

Pitmaster T 11-21-2012 05:23 PM

My turkey is never dry, i do not consider it a dry meat, those that do, simply cannot cook it properly. This does look like my first turkey disaster though. LOL.

Don't be so hard on the guy though. He is a master brisket cooker. Like myself. Give me a whole pig and see how lost I am. LOL. I make a better chocolate moose or brick of Jack Daniels Fudge than a whole hog.

Pitmaster T 11-21-2012 05:29 PM

Good gravy technique, except he should half the stock with potato water. Once the thickness is right..... stop and add a whole stick of butter and let it sit and skim..... then whip it into the gravy just before pouring.

I LOVE his gravy style, just like mine.... except I add some bootsy collins that you don't realize that in there.

Good Job Franklin Guy who has no first name.

sweetheatbbq 11-21-2012 06:21 PM

I like watching his videos. It's always pretty simple. Like others not to sure about the amount of butter but I am gonna stick to the salt and pepper method

FireChief 11-22-2012 05:39 AM

I agree. These are a great BBQ 101 series. Anything to promote BBQ I'm all for. I don't think the pound of butter is such a big deal, all the butter would have melted out to the bottom in minutes and he uses for other stuff.

Honestly, the most surprising thing to me is that he appears to not be using a charcoal grate in the firebox. I would figure that would not lend itself to a very efficient fire sitting on top of ashes all the time but what do I know...