The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   raising farm pigs verses feral/wild pigs (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98761)

AUradar 01-13-2011 11:13 AM

raising farm pigs verses feral/wild pigs

I'm thinking of raising some pigs to slaughter. How does a domestic piglet from a farm compare to a wild piglet that is caught and then fattened up at home? Anyone have any experience with this?

Cook 01-13-2011 11:43 AM

I'm not sure how large a part genetics has to play, but if there is a cause & effect issue, I would suggest a farmed piglett. Even though today's pork is bred to be lean the little piggy should fatten up nicely given the opportunity.

A wild hog might not (I honesty do not know) given it's genetics.

Heck, try both!

jestridge 01-13-2011 11:55 AM

You better have a good pen they will be hard to tame down also better be careful cathing them the momma can get very mean

Ashmont 01-13-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUradar (Post 1511916)
I'm thinking of raising some pigs to slaughter. How does a domestic piglet from a farm compare to a wild piglet that is caught and then fattened up at home? Anyone have any experience with this?

Feral hogs taste gamey to me..

landarc 01-13-2011 12:11 PM

I would get a nice pink piggy from the auction. Feral hogs are a gamble in terms of genetics. It might be just one generation away from domesticated hogs, in which case, it is just a pig. Then again, it might be several generations away, in which case, it tastes and fattens totally differently. They can both be tasty. With purchased piglets, you know what you are getting in terms of the pork.

Cook 01-13-2011 12:13 PM

The pigs will not be feral...even the 'wild' piglet.

The wild piglet might taste a bit gamey due to genetics, but the domesticated, farm piglet should not be gamey at all. It should only get better as time goes on.

Chef Country 01-13-2011 12:19 PM

I hunt wild hogs I think they taste great, they have a little different taste than my farm raised hogs I guess its kinda like the difference between deer and beef, I get 2 hogs slaughtered a year and me and my buddies hunt them also, some people don't like the taste of wild game but I like the flavor, its all a personal choice, oh and even with farm hogs you better have a good pin, they can tear up just about anything

jestridge 01-13-2011 12:21 PM

I would think if you fateen a pig up it wouldn't be gamey. Most of these pig are from some type of domiscated hogs, they come in all colors.

PBHoss 01-13-2011 12:25 PM

Better check with your state Fish and Wildlife service. Around here they frown upon catching and raising wildlife due to potential diseases transferring to domesticated livestock.
I'd still pay $5 to see you try to catch one of those little buggers though!

BMantlow 01-13-2011 12:26 PM

If you go for the feral pig and it's a male, you need to castrate it as soon as possible, that will help with the gamey taste, I've been told. You can google "pig castration videos" and there are plenty on how to do this yourself.

jestridge 01-13-2011 12:41 PM

If you don't cut the male it will have a boar taint. In other words it taste like it smells

popo1984 01-13-2011 02:44 PM

My buddy killed a wild pig last year in texas. He was suprised to find after he shot it that it was castrated. Anway I smoked the ham and it had no taste of wild in it. My wife couldnt even tell the difference

maxwell7 01-13-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popo1984 (Post 1512146)
My buddy killed a wild pig last year in texas. He was suprised to find after he shot it that it was castrated. Anway I smoked the ham and it had no taste of wild in it. My wife couldnt even tell the difference

I'm waiting for responses to this one! I've got one , but never been reprimanded , and don't want to start now!:tape:I like ALL wild game , and would love to taste it!:becky:

boatnut 01-13-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUradar (Post 1511916)

If I had the opportunity, I'd opt for getting some heritage breed piglets to raise. Tamworths or Durocs?

bluetang 01-13-2011 04:24 PM

Typically you will get more bang for your buck with a domestic, ergo the average daily gain will be better with a domestic when compared to a piney wood rooter. The domestic is genetcally superior towards muscling, where as the rooter is geared for survival, and doesn't muscle out as much as the domestics. There are, however times when a rooter crossbreeds with a domestic and the offspring will muscle out heavier, but usually not the case(a crap shoot). As mentioned above, castration is necessary. As far as flavor, both will eat fine. The rooter will "sweeten up" with the feed. I'd weigh all the costs, are the feral hogs free?