10 ga thick enough

Two Bears

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is 10 ga thick enough for the reverse flow plate? I found a 4x10 sheet for $97 (new)

Also does the rf plate need to be stainless since it is not cooked on but will hold water, juice and drippings?

depends on what you're using it in. If It's a heavy guage tank, probably not, but if you were using it to modify a brinkmann side box, than sure.

I figured it would be thick enough. Because with the reverse flow you want the steel to heat up some. And you dont need it to be stainless. All you will need to do is coat it with some lard or something during the initial smoke. And it will be kept greased up through cooking. I would go with the 10 guage.

It is going into 2 smokers, the first is a 500 gallon LP tank that is going on a trailer. The second is a 120 gal LP tank that will be on a cart.
Both will be used for doing some catering.

I thought it would be thick enough at 1/8" but wanted to make sure before I bought the sheet.

Is this a minimum thickness or should I look for a thicker sheet say like 3/16 or so?

The tuning plate in my 24" x 84" offset is 1/8" and works just fiine. The 10ga. will definitely work for the 120 gal tank, but for the 500 gal you might want to reinforce it or go for a 3/16" plate.

Back