The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Norcoredneck 03-10-2007 10:02 AM

Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1983.jpg

motley que 03-10-2007 10:04 AM

building mine in a few minutes, will post pics later

Blutch 03-10-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!

DAMN! That's what Im' talking about in my other thread.. can't even leave the offset alone for an hour to go to the store.

B

Bigmista 03-10-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1983.jpg

One for you and one for the Mrs.

What's your daughter going to eat?

thirdeye 03-10-2007 01:09 PM

Man, did you have to go to Bedrock to get cuts like that??

Norcoredneck 03-10-2007 03:11 PM

Fire going so good decided able to cook daughter something. Thanks for reminding me Neil.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1986.jpg

Bigmista 03-10-2007 03:14 PM

What's a brother for?

Norcoredneck 03-10-2007 03:35 PM

Neil did you see the injector in the other thread?

jgh1204 03-18-2007 01:54 AM

I am taking my UDS out on its first unattended overnight cook. Getting the temps to stabilize now and going to bed soon. Got a 10lb brisket on.

Smokin Gator 03-19-2007 01:04 PM

This past weekend I did two 8 lb butts a 8 lb top sirloin roast and 4 racks of ribs on the UDS. It was the toughest cook so far and I am searching for answers...

My temps weren't as stable and I had to have all the air intakes open to hold 250. There was a lot of moisture around the top of the drum. Cooking times went up significantly. Air temps weren't too bad (upper 60s), it was a bit windy, but I put up the tent with the sides.

The butts took 10 hours and the ribs took 6 1/2 hours. The butts turned out really well but the ribs never did get much of a bark.

The only things I can think of are that all of the moisture dripping kept the briqs from burning as well and/or their was so much more meat that the airflow between the meat was restricted.

What do you folks think??

Oldbob 03-19-2007 01:41 PM

It sounds Like an AirFlow problem to Me,I think that would be the reason for the Condensation that You were seeing at the top of the drum !! Never cooked on a drum though. I am sure that the drum Users will chime in shortly. Just My $.02

Bigmista 03-19-2007 01:47 PM

Only condensation I ever had with mine was at a contest in the fog by the beach.

Norcoredneck 03-19-2007 02:24 PM

I left charcoal out and it drew moisture in. I experienced the same. Now I store charcoal in a plastic trash can with a semi sealed lid.

Jaberwabee 03-19-2007 08:02 PM

I am convinced am planning my next project will be on of these. I found some that were used to hold olive oil and can get them for next to nothing.

Norcoredneck 03-19-2007 08:11 PM

Started these at 10:00 today. Held 230 all day. 6:00 now and taking a nap. Hauling all + crock pot full of beans, and chips to work tonight.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...k/IMG_1989.jpg

swamprb 03-19-2007 09:01 PM

Gator- Did you clean out the ashes from the last cook? Before I started mine yesterday I noticed the ashes from my last cook were wet from the rain before I had the cover on during the week, might be something to consider. Are there any obstuctions in your vents? Ashes or a lump in the valve?

motley que 03-19-2007 09:25 PM

i had a problem with dry chucks this weekend. cooked to 197 or so and pulled off and rested for a few hours. i didnt spray at all during the cook. could the direct heat have caused this or do i need to spray

swamprb 03-19-2007 09:35 PM

Do you turn them? I haven't done them yet but turning works for me.

ThomEmery 03-19-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley que
i had a problem with dry chucks this weekend. cooked to 197 or so and pulled off and rested for a few hours. i didnt spray at all during the cook. could the direct heat have caused this or do i need to spray

Mot how many times did you flip it?

motley que 03-20-2007 10:00 AM

i only flipped once

Blutch 04-01-2007 07:52 PM

Having a charcoal basket made for my drum and looking for dimensions.

I'm thinking the grate should be 22inches in diameter. then the ring about 18 inches in diamter and 10-12 inches tall?

I'm also thinking of having the sides made of something solid. Any ideas, opinions or thoughts on this?

Also, if you use threaded pipe nipples, will they thread right onto the hole you cut or do you have to do something special? 7/8ths hole, 1/2 inch pipe?

Also, one last question... Do you have to get the lid cut off of every drum or can you find them that com that way?

Sorry for the newb. questions.

B

jgh1204 04-02-2007 10:22 AM

Blutch, good questions, hopefully some of the experts will see this and chime in. I think the height would be fine at 8 to 10.

Cannot help on the pipes, I just use aluminum foil to plug the holes to adjust airflow.

Mine came with a removable lid.

Smokin Gator 04-02-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch (Post 372871)
Having a charcoal basket made for my drum and looking for dimensions.

I'm thinking the grate should be 22inches in diameter. then the ring about 18 inches in diamter and 10-12 inches tall?B

If you make the grate 22 inches it may be a PITA to get out to the drum. Mine is 20 inches, sits on the pipe nipples well, and I can get it out without much problem.

My ring is 18x6. When I was having it made I was concerned that it was too wide, but it has worked out well. I can't imagine ever having to load enough fuel to need it 10-12 inches tall but if you have material that size I guess it wouldn't matter.

Quote:

I'm also thinking of having the sides made of something solid. Any ideas, opinions or thoughts on this?B

I think this might interfere with the air flow but not sure. I would stick with expanded metal for the sides. I know that works.

Quote:

Also, if you use threaded pipe nipples, will they thread right onto the hole you cut or do you have to do something special? 7/8ths hole, 1/2 inch pipe?B

If you cut the holes with a step bit to 13/16 and clean up the cut with a rat tail file the 1/2 inch pipe nipples should thread right in.

Quote:

Also, one last question... Do you have to get the lid cut off of every drum or can you find them that com that way?B

If you can find a drum that you don't have to cut the lid off of (they are called open top drums) that is best. The lid fits nicely right over the roll on the tp of the drum. If you get a closed to and cut it out you will find it is difficult to get a tight fit for the lid.

Here is a link to a place on eBay that sells drums. You can get an idea from the pictures of the difference on the two types of drum heads.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Barrel-Company

Best of luck on your UDS.

swamprb 04-02-2007 10:59 AM

I made 2 different sized baskets that are secured to an old Weber 22.5" cooking grate. The one that I primarily use is 17"x 8" and the other is 13"x9". Here's a pic of what you may want to consider.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...llSSCN0277.jpg

Brian

Norcoredneck 04-02-2007 11:00 AM

My basket is 13" in diameter, 9'' tall.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../Fire_ring.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...Frri_ring2.jpg

But go with Mista's set up if you can . Saves tipping drum to empty ash. I have been using a hoe as third eye did, just havent ground it to match radius yet.

Oldbob 04-02-2007 11:33 AM

I tend to agree with Gator on the diameter of the grate...22" would be a Bear to get in and out...dont forget You will have bolts at the top to hold the cooking grate...I made my ash pan 15" diameter and the fire basket is 13" diameter and 6" tall.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/MVC-012F.jpg

Smokin Gator 04-02-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 373264)
I tend to agree with Gator on the diameter of the grate...22" would be a Bear to get in and out...dont forget You will have bolts at the top to hold the cooking grate...I made my ash pan 15" diameter and the fire basket is 13" diameter and 6" tall.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/MVC-012F.jpg

I love Bob's setup... is on the list for my next one... if I can wait that long:-)

Smokin Gator 04-18-2007 05:41 AM

Uds V 1.1

1 Attachment(s)
I finished my second UDS last night. This drum is a heavier gauage, is taller, and is wider. To use a Weber lid I will have to balance it on the top. I would have to grind the entire roll off to make it fit and I don't want to do that.

I made this one the same as the first one with the exception of adding handles. I used the Stanley garage door handles and I think they will work well (I also added them to my first one). The lid has the same handle but I put a piece of foam pipe insulation around it.

I am happy with it and am going to use both of the drums in my first comp this weekend!!

Attachment 6885

FatDaddy 04-18-2007 05:53 AM

how hot does the bottom of those get? if i built one would i need to put it on a platform to keep it off my patio (concrete).

Smokin Gator 04-18-2007 06:03 AM

I am sure they get pretty hot. I cut a 4x4 landscape timber in two and put that underneath to protect the concrete underneath. You can actually see them under the picture above.

I plan on picking up a couple of drum dollies but haven't found what I want at the price I want to pay

Oldbob 04-18-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddy (Post 381645)
how hot does the bottom of those get? if i built one would i need to put it on a platform to keep it off my patio (concrete).

FatDaddy the following is a previous post from ModelMaker

I have mine sitting on a carpeted dolly and am suprised it hasn't caused any heat damage. Lots of good forward thinking.
Even if you are a "Harley Guy" :}
ModelMaker

Hope this helps You !!

swamprb 04-18-2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDaddy (Post 381645)

Get a drum dolly from Harbor Freight and you can easily roll it around. As long as you keep the temps low it will be OK. If you leave the lid off the temps will jump before you know it.

At the Paul Kirk Pitmaster class I attended we cooked for a Judging class and I did the brisket on the drum and took 4th Place out of 18 teams.

I'm ready to start drilling another drum to use at a Backyard Comp next month. I'll take pics of the process.

Brian

Norcoredneck 04-18-2007 07:08 AM

If you can't get the info off of forum you can spend $24.00.
http://stores.lulu.com/how-to-build-a-smoker. Wonder how many he has sold.

motley que 04-18-2007 09:07 AM

be careful when doing the burnoff of the drum. I killed the grass in a nice 22 inch circular area, wife hated that.

bbqpigskin 04-18-2007 10:16 AM

Yeah...I have a 22 inch circle on my cement patio!

JW 04-18-2007 12:02 PM

I have 2 circles in my back yard, finished my first UDS last Friday and cooked ribs on Saturday. Everything went so well that I'm making 2 more, will have 3 in all. This way I can do shoulders, ribs and whatever all at the same time for large outings or maybe even some comps, and get some rest while doing it. Keeps me from firing up the mobile monster and tending the fire all night.

By the way great article on the construction and use of the UDS, Thanks to everyone here Great job.

JW

thirdeye 04-18-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 373264)

Bob,

I was curious what your logic was with the square tube spacers below the ash pan. Thanks.

thirdeye 04-18-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 381669)
If you can't get the info off of forum you can spend $24.00.
http://stores.lulu.com/how-to-build-a-smoker. Wonder how many he has sold.

So, if I'm reading this right, this design has internal baffles and is an indirect style of cooker. That is why the ribs take so long to cook, and the color is so unique.

Norcoredneck 04-18-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 381999)
So, if I'm reading this right, this design has internal baffles and is an indirect style of cooker. That is why the ribs take so long to cook, and the color is so unique.

Not sure, just came across this and thought I'd post it. Mine works fine the way it is.

Napper 04-18-2007 08:53 PM

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00049.jpgHey guys!

Been working on the drums!
This thing is getting out of hand. I've got enough drums to cook for an army!
First drum is a DIGITAL air controlled model.
Second model is a MANUAL controlled model.

Digital model can control at +/- ~4 degrees.
Manual model has a +/- 18 degree swing. Not bad for BBQ but I like the tighter control better. It has too much deadband to control a fire.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00043.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...m/DSC00048.jpg

Napper 04-18-2007 08:54 PM

Sory about the photos being out of place on last post.
Not quite used to doing this yet.

Anyway. Live on DRUMS!!!!!!!!!!!

Blutch 04-18-2007 09:41 PM

Ok. Getting close. My custom basket ala OldBob arrived and it is great. PM if you want the name of the Brethren who made it for me.

I put mine on 4/4 wood blocks to burn it out too.. they caught on fire and then caught my grass on fire. Lovely. :-)

Couple questions -

1. when I screw the pipe nipples in they aren't very secure. When I then screw the covers on them I can't tighten them without the pipe nipples getting loose. the same thing happened on the one I screwed the ball valve into. I bought some high heat silicone to seal it up with. If I use that around the pipe nipples will that be strong enough to keep them tight when I put the caps on?

2. I finally found a used weber kettle for $30. I haven't got it yet, but will I have to do anything to make it fit the top of the drum?

3. Am I not going to use my stick burner anymore after using this drum?

Thanks

B

Smokin Gator 04-19-2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch (Post 382066)
Ok. Getting close. My custom basket ala OldBob arrived and it is great. PM if you want the name of the Brethren who made it for me.

I put mine on 4/4 wood blocks to burn it out too.. they caught on fire and then caught my grass on fire. Lovely. :-)

Hhmm... I haven't had that problem. Mine sits on a pressure treated 4x4 landscape timber that I cut in half.

Quote:

Couple questions -

1. when I screw the pipe nipples in they aren't very secure. When I then screw the covers on them I can't tighten them without the pipe nipples getting loose. the same thing happened on the one I screwed the ball valve into. I bought some high heat silicone to seal it up with. If I use that around the pipe nipples will that be strong enough to keep them tight when I put the caps on?

I cut the holes to 13/16 and mine thread in pretty tightly. I still thread on conduit nuts and firm the up on the outside. If you need to you could put them on the inside as well.

Quote:

2. I finally found a used weber kettle for $30. I haven't got it yet, but will I have to do anything to make it fit the top of the drum?

B

It depends... the diameter of the drums differ. On my first on the lid fits perfectly with no mods. On my second one I will have to just balance it on the top.

I know some guys have ground the top roll and gotten a snug fit, but on this one I would have to grind nearly the entire roll.

Quote:

3. Am I not going to use my stick burner anymore after using this drum?

B

Oh... I still love to play with the BSKD it is just not as often. Actually, it may be about the same. I just get to cook more Q now because I can cook on a drum when I wouldn't have to to cook on the stick burner.

I can't wait to see yours...

Oldbob 04-19-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirdeye (Post 381997)
Bob,

I was curious what your logic was with the square tube spacers below the ash pan. Thanks.

ThirdEye,
The thought with the tubing under the pan was Heat Transfer...I wanted to try to keep as much heat as possible off the bottom of the drum,I have the tubes bent now and should be getting back to work on it soon.I will post more pictures and results as I can.

thirdeye 04-19-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbob (Post 382163)
ThirdEye,
The thought with the tubing under the pan was Heat Transfer...I wanted to try to keep as much heat as possible off the bottom of the drum,I have the tubes bent now and should be getting back to work on it soon.I will post more pictures and results as I can.

Okay, that makes sense.

jgh1204 04-19-2007 10:50 PM

I hate it when my nipples get loose.

swamprb 04-19-2007 11:33 PM

Mine get hard just thinking about it.

Bigmista 04-20-2007 12:10 AM

You guys should all be very proud of me! I put the handles on the side of my barrel all by myself tonite. I measured twice, drill the holes, put the bolts in, put the washers on, tightened them and still managed to keep all of my fingers.

And they are exactly in the side and they are level (thank you Mr. Dickey my Geometry teacher)!

And most importantly, MrsMista didn't help me at all!

Smokin Gator 04-20-2007 05:58 AM

Yeah Mista... I know the feeling of pride... making these things actually makes me think I could change my own oil!!!

Ray Zorback 04-20-2007 07:58 AM

CraigsList Discouragement

Hey. I posted the need for a 55 Gal Steel Drum on CraigsList and here is a response I got:

Quote:

"Personally using 55gal barrels for a smoker is crappy idea. I speak from experience. The metal is too thin to effectively control the temperature for good barbeque. It would be adequate for grilling but for smoking it will only produce a very low quality product. Even if you installed a thermo sensor switch and a turbine fan. Hardwood burns closer to 500 degrees so you would need to suspend it with a grate of some sort if you want the rig to last for any extended period of time. That's why a good smoker has a separate cast iron firebox for the wood and a secondary heat source on the product side."
I'm looking for some replys to his concerns. What about the metal being too thin? & What about this "thermo sensor" & "turbine fan"?
Sounds like he knows alot about enginering & not much about smoking, but are his arguments valid?
I sent him to this site and BigMista's site to do more research.

Thanks! I'm new so I don't know much about all this stuff.