Rlacement handle for my Mini

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Been working on a replacement handle for my mini egg. I took a piece of red oak from Grumpy'sQ and took off the bark with my pocket knife and let it dry a little. I drilled a hole through it. Didn't want to wait on access to a drill press, so it got clamped to a table and I did it by hand. Not the straightest hole, but it'll do. I got some ss round stock from Thirdeye that will be bent later. Any recomendations on a finish? Just oil it or a laquer finish? Should I let it dry more before finishing?

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 51
That looks really nice, I'll bet the natural grain will stand out with the proper treatment too.

Here's my recommendation:

Go to Lowe's or Ace hardware and buy a little sample can of Cabot Australian Timber Oil. The little sample can will be just the right amount to do your handle. It will last a really long time (years) before needing a new coat. :cool: Lowe's may not have the sample cans, but I believe I saw them at a local Ace hardware.

Lawn Ranger coats his handles in some kind of epoxy after staining, and it has split and cracked over the years, and I've had to do some surgery on my handle. Don't get me wrong - I love his stuff, but the handle on my egg has seen better days.

Back