The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling Lesson Polls (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What is the proper temperature for holding food? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18031)

bbqjoe 05-26-2006 06:11 PM

What is the proper temperature for holding food?

Question: When holding food in a steam table or chaffing dish, what is the correct holding temp.?

Forkin Pork 04-06-2009 08:39 PM

I can't believe that this was posted back in 5-26-06 and no can post a reply.
I sure the person is not still waiting for an answer, but just in case someone is wondering, you should hold food at 140 degress and can do so up to 4 hours.
After that you have to throw the food out.

BBQchef33 04-06-2009 10:40 PM

The answers are in the poll.

This forum(food Handeling Lesson Polls). was used in a 'classroom' type effort using Polls. it was run by one of our members who was a restaurant owner and safeserv certified.

A question was posted, and a poll attached for the answers. Then a subsequent 'discussion' thread was associated with it and the details are discussed. I think this one was pretty much established at 140 based on the poll responses.

ASUBBQ 04-15-2009 10:40 PM

Yes as bbqchef33 stated, re-heat to 165 then hold at 140 or above.

keale 06-12-2009 02:00 PM

You don't have to "toss" after 4 hrs, The 4 hr. rule is if its on "display", countertop...etc...no heating...and it should always have a time stamp...

This rule is in Hawaii...

Just went to a sanitation class...
The biggest cause of food born illness is "IMPROPER COOLING"...the recomended time frame is:

140*-70* 2hrs
70*-45* 2 hrs...I believe 40* is the USDA guideline...

smokey fin 07-09-2009 05:36 PM

Warm temp 140 or above, Cold temp 40 or below.

This Is How We Que It 12-19-2009 02:56 PM

Eat it before it goes bad.

PorkQPine 02-25-2010 08:07 AM

New FDA rules do away with the danger zone being 40-140 degrees. It is now 41-135 degrees. Previously cooked food needs to be heated to 165 degrees. Just took the ServSafe course so this is the newest information. Instructor said that FDA only issues guidelines and that the local HD may have different temp. rules. Always check with local HD for the rules you have to live by.

Ford 02-25-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkQPine (Post 1195266)
New FDA rules do away with the danger zone being 40-140 degrees. It is now 41-135 degrees. Previously cooked food needs to be heated to 165 degrees. Just took the ServSafe course so this is the newest information. Instructor said that FDA only issues guidelines and that the local HD may have different temp. rules. Always check with local HD for the rules you have to live by.

Right on but when talking about steam tables or chaffers the "MINIMUM" is 140 for most HD's and that means not only sticking a thermapen into the tray but also using an infrared hand held to measure surface temp. If you have steam pans and don't keep them covered except when dishing up the surface temp will quickly drop. I'd plan for an internal closer to 150-160 to be safe. And you need to stir on a regular basis if you want to keep it moist and fresh and balanced temp.

While I haven't taken the course yet, Carol did and I have read all the materials. I've also developed a positive relationship with a number of the local HD inspectors and when they informally visit at a vending event (happens if others need to be inspected) I'm always asking questions to better udnerstand what they expect.

Bottom line is take the ServSafe course if you can.

Jacked UP BBQ 02-25-2010 10:54 AM

I have had serv safe for 10 years, and it goes over welll with the HD's when I send in my apps and they see that, there is a much easier process of inspection in the field. Great cheap way to have a quick easy inspection!

big brother smoke 02-25-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 1195396)
Right on but when talking about steam tables or chaffers the "MINIMUM" is 140 for most HD's and that means not only sticking a thermapen into the tray but also using an infrared hand held to measure surface temp. If you have steam pans and don't keep them covered except when dishing up the surface temp will quickly drop. I'd plan for an internal closer to 150-160 to be safe. And you need to stir on a regular basis if you want to keep it moist and fresh and balanced temp.

While I haven't taken the course yet, Carol did and I have read all the materials. I've also developed a positive relationship with a number of the local HD inspectors and when they informally visit at a vending event (happens if others need to be inspected) I'm always asking questions to better udnerstand what they expect.

Bottom line is take the ServSafe course if you can.

What Ford said, even though he is not posting :biggrin::tongue:

southernsmoker 05-29-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 1195465)
I have had serv safe for 10 years, and it goes over welll with the HD's when I send in my apps and they see that, there is a much easier process of inspection in the field. Great cheap way to have a quick easy inspection!

Good preperation...:clap2:

NorthwestBBQ 01-04-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keale (Post 949098)
You don't have to "toss" after 4 hrs, The 4 hr. rule is if its on "display", countertop...etc...no heating...and it should always have a time stamp...

This rule is in Hawaii...

Just went to a sanitation class...
The biggest cause of food born illness is "IMPROPER COOLING"...the recomended time frame is:

140*-70* 2hrs
70*-45* 2 hrs...I believe 40* is the USDA guideline...

I hate to disagree, but the #1 cause of food borne illness in the food service industry is cross contamination. The washing of hands with warm soapy water, and sanitizing the work area is critical. I got 100% correct on my food handlers card test. :-D

JD McGee 01-04-2011 09:28 PM

Improper temps...

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/Public.../FBICauses.pdf

NorthwestBBQ 01-04-2011 09:39 PM

I forgot to mention I took my class in Washington state, not Macomb County, Michigan.