4-5lb shoulders vs 8-10+ lb shoulders

Socks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've only ever been able to find 4-5lb shoulders. what am I missing? Is it just the picnic shoulder together with the butt in one piece?

It may be where you are located. You may not find the larger shoulders or butts because there is not a market for them. Have you talked to someone at the meat counter where you get your meat and see if they have anything bigger than 4-5 lbs? I would start there and see what you can find.

lol...I guess its all where you live. I have trouble finding smaller butts. My sams and costco usually have boston butts at 7 to 10lbs. I

I live in Toronto, Canada. I'm sure I could source something larger, but it would likely cost a lot more per lb. I think a normal price for the 4-5lb butts is $1.99, $1.39 on a good sale, and $2.29/lb is still a good price. If I tried to go to a respectable butcher the price would go way up I imagine.

I read a post from a guy the other day who bought 2 slabs of side ribs at one of the fancy places... bill was $54. :D

Canuck pigs grow small:wink: I wish I could find a 4-5 lb butt sometimes. Look on the bright side if you cook 2 you get twice the bark.:mrgreen:

But anyway, is the taste better on the larger ones, or is it just for quantity of food? If its the latter, I'll thank my ability to buy two small ones. Also I can cook them in different ways in one cook.

Also for something like pulled pork, is using a shoulder from a heritage breed like a Berkshire a waste of money?

Are these butts prepackaged? If they are not, is the store cutting them and repackaging them? If they are the would have a supply of the larger butts that are not cut. I cannot seeing them charging more for less processing. As far as the butcher goes. If you have a good relationship with him you should be able to get it at about the same price. You will may have to pay more for somethings, but the common cuts shouldn't be much more than where you are currently shopping. Just remember you are paying for better service and product when you go to the butcher.

But anyway, is the taste better on the larger ones, or is it just for quantity of food? If its the latter, I'll thank my ability to buy two small ones. Also I can cook them in different ways in one cook.

Also for something like pulled pork, is using a shoulder from a heritage breed like a Berkshire a waste of money?

IMPO I think it would be a waste. There is almost 40% shrinkage on a butt, so you are wasting money.

On a regular butt, if you pay $2.29 for a raw butt, the actual cost of the meat is about $3.81. ($2.29/.60).

I just called one of the premium butchers in Toronto. They said whole bone in shoulders are around 20lbs available in a few days, and tomorrow they have some 8lb shoulders coming in. $6.99/lb, or $63.19 after taxes for an 8lb shoulder.

good points on the shrinkage, never thought of it that way! Would hate to do your math on the above...

Back