The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

jjontry 12-06-2010 10:23 AM

help!!
looking 4 local uds for sale or cheep drum food grade
Akron,oh
thanks your brother in bbq

jeffsee 12-06-2010 08:37 PM

Low and slow uds vs wms

My wif ere ally hated how smokey the ribs and fatty were last week, so I took the advice of some on the forum and bought the book Low & Slow. The "lessons" are all for the wms, offset, and kettle. What kind of adjustments should I expect with my uds?

MeatyOakerSmoker 12-08-2010 04:40 PM

I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed by this but I just read this entire thread. I'm pretty sure I could have stopped many many pages ago but it's pretty cool to see some of the mods.

thanks everyone

blackdog043 12-09-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IbrahimSS (Post 1478524)
I'm not sure if I'm proud or embarrassed by this but I just read this entire thread. I'm pretty sure I could have stopped many many pages ago but it's pretty cool to see some of the mods.

thanks everyone

Whats to be embarrassed about by reading the best thread on here!!

Smokin' D 12-09-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsee (Post 1476734)
My wif ere ally hated how smokey the ribs and fatty were last week, so I took the advice of some on the forum and bought the book Low & Slow. The "lessons" are all for the wms, offset, and kettle. What kind of adjustments should I expect with my uds?

Don't know about the thoughts in the book or how you cooked those last items but I'll hazard a guess that you had a fair amount of wood chunks mixed in with your lump or briquettes. I use lump and will mix in 3 or four 2x3" wood chunks in the entire basket. Plenty smoky for me.Also make sure the drum has gotten up to operating temp, around 250°, and the smoke coming from the stack is of the thin bluish kind as opposed to the thick white variety.

Some kind of a diffuser is also a nice thing to use. It will catch some of the fat resulting in a less smoky taste. Helps even out the temps too!

jeffsee 12-09-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1479415)
Don't know about the thoughts in the book or how you cooked those last items but I'll hazard a guess that you had a fair amount of wood chunks mixed in with your lump or briquettes. I use lump and will mix in 3 or four 2x3" wood chunks in the entire basket. Plenty smoky for me.Also make sure the drum has gotten up to operating temp, around 250°, and the smoke coming from the stack is of the thin bluish kind as opposed to the thick white variety.

Some kind of a diffuser is also a nice thing to use. It will catch some of the fat resulting in a less smoky taste. Helps even out the temps too!

Smokin' D,

Here's the funny part...I followed Wiviott's directions nearly to a T (yesterday), and that means 6 pieces of wood. Waiting like he says meant a higher initial temp (royal oak lump), but the food was far less smokey and my daughter and her friend scarfed down the fatty while we fought them off.

I am looking into diffusers. I think I'll place something on a new grate I'll mount over the fire basket. Wiviott's Chicken Mojo Criollo was PHENOMENAL!

jeffsee 12-09-2010 08:53 PM

Smokin' D,

Are you the one with all the funky holes drilled in your diffuser plate? Do you have a template for that?

stglide 12-09-2010 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1479415)

Like Smokin says, I'm becoming a fast favorite of the diffuser! Did two butts last week, and used a 14" pizza pan which fit just right above my basket. (Third time I've used it that way) It seems to take a little longer to cook, but the results are far better for me anyway! :thumb: I do have some holes drilled in it, but definitely not the fancy random ones, or the jet cut ones that are so cool.... I'll get there though!

Smokin' D 12-10-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsee (Post 1479553)
Smokin' D,

Are you the one with all the funky holes drilled in your diffuser plate? Do you have a template for that?

Yep that is, or those are, my diffuser plates. There is no template, I just drilled random, yet artistically placed holes, smaller and fewer in the middle to larger and more of them toward the outer edge in a cover to a 30 gallon barrel. Used one of those Vari bits in a drill press. Works for me. A friend, CarolinaQue, made up 2 diffusers out of thicker steel for my two barrels. I have yet to see how they do while cooking, but the thicker steel should do a nice job as a thermal mass and they look so wonderfully Medieval I'm sure they will work great. Pics will show up soon.

jeffsee 12-10-2010 10:10 PM

Of Wiviotts and Diffuser plates

8 Attachment(s)
OK...I wanted to show the Chicken Mojo Criollo I made on the UDS using Wiviott's Low & Slow directions.

And....I am bringing fatties to a X-mas party tomorrow night. Since we will get 7"-11" of snow tomorrow, I did the fatties tonight. One with pepperjack and the other with 3-blend sharp cheddar and onions.

Any ideas for keeping the fatties string the fatties and warming them tomorrow?

DawgDrvr 12-11-2010 03:15 PM

I picked up a food grade drum (Apple Juice) last weekend did my first burn on it. It still had some of the red liner left in it so I did a second burn yesterday. Instead of wire brushing it I took it to my step son and he bead blasted the rest of it for me,both inside and out. This morning I took it over to a friend of mine who owns a paint shop. I'm having him powder coat it for me. Only cost me a 12 pack of Red Hook ESB.

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/100_5076.jpg[/IMG]
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/UDSburn2.jpg

coewar 12-12-2010 07:52 PM

My Ugly Drum Smoker

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all. I have been reading this thread and the one that got me here (http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/general...-part-1-a.html) about building an ugly drum smoker.

I have an offset with firebox (Brinkmann) and once the temps started dipping (New England) getting that cooking chamber to temp was freaking hard. I made several mods, but it just wasn't working out. My buddy bought a big tent-like thing for his and it works well for him to keep him insulated. I was not too eager about doing that, plus, the cheap metal on mine is already deteriorating on the firebox after just 1 solid season of smoking. I could probably punch a hole in it.

So wanted to try the UDS. So far so good!!!

I followed most of the directions on that site, but made my own theories on changes. I need to study air circulation dynamics, but what I have is pretty good.

At the bottom, I put in the usual three 3/4 inch holes. I inserted the little nipples :) and on one of them put a valve for great accurate intake control. Usually people put some kind of smoke stack on the lid, or drill holes in the lid. I chose to leave the lid intact and do the same thing I did on the bottom but near the top. So I have three 3/4 inch holes with nipples on the side of the barrel just about 1 inch from the top. As you can see in one of the pics below, I also put a vale on one of those.

This has been working.. though I don't know if it's anything related to my specific design. What I was going for is to try to keep the smoke in there longer, keep heat in there, and hopefully keep more moisture.

I'm thinking what would happen if I drill more holes right under the grate level... in fact.. maybe even use those nipples for holding the grate instead of separate bolts.... anyway.. curious to see what would happen if I opened the holes at food grate level, and close, or almost close, the holes at the top. I wish I could see how the smoke flows inside.

My attempt at making the air circulate inside was to put the intake port directly on the opposite side of the barrel where the exhaust port is. Point being that if I leave an intake open, I would leave the exhaust on the opposite side open. So.. that would provide a good flow? I don't know.

I read an article about someone making a short mini UDS (http://www.shortypen.com/projects/bb.../uds/index.htm) and how he explained that he had better flow and temp control by extending the chimney.

I'll post more pics and thoughts as I practice.

I would like to leave with one big question. I read that some people manage to maintain their smoker temps like within 10 degrees for hours! I would like to know how that happens. :) Now, with my UDS temp control is in fact very good.. however there is one catch... it's not exactly where I want it. It's where it wants it. :) I am very happy with the temp control I have, but I don't think I can do better. Maybe it's the fuel? I just use normal grade charcoal (Kingsford, or Stubs brand).

stglide 12-12-2010 07:59 PM

Thought about Powder Coating my next drum... Post a pic when you get it done! Can't be the price you got either!

newie 12-12-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgDrvr (Post 1480919)
I picked up a food grade drum (Apple Juice) last weekend did my first burn on it. It still had some of the red liner left in it so I did a second burn yesterday. Instead of wire brushing it I took it to my step son and he bead blasted the rest of it for me,both inside and out. This morning I took it over to a friend of mine who owns a paint shop. I'm having him powder coat it for me. Only cost me a 12 pack of Red Hook ESB.

[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/100_5076.jpg[/IMG]
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...s/UDSburn2.jpg

Score!! Great to have family/friends with resources like that! Keep us posted on the progress!

topjimmy 12-12-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjontry (Post 1476077)
help!!
looking 4 local uds for sale or cheep drum food grade
Akron,oh
thanks your brother in bbq

call the summit co, or portage co, recycle centers. They may have a lead on getting a drum. I got mine from a machine shop. It held mineral oil for lubricating the eq. I got mine in Youngstown. If you want to drive the hour.