The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Beerwolf 04-19-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masiewiz (Post 906260)
The engine block paint comes in many cool colors, but the can says it is rated for "Up to 400 degrees intermittently". BBQ paint is rated to 1500 degrees, but pretty much just black. Has anyone had trouble with their paint burning off or fading? I wanna paint my UDS...aka Frankenstein green, is engine block paint OK?

Masiewiz

As far as paint goes, I dont think we really need anything high heat on these... I have been having good luck with Rustoleum and spraying it... a quart can will do about 4 drums using my handy HF touch up gun.. its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Thawley 04-20-2009 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 906279)
its really a hell of a lot more economical than using a rattle can.

Easier on your finger too.

Barbarian 04-20-2009 02:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Masiewiz,
Here is a pic of my paint job and my mistake on my second smoke where I left the lid off a bit to long.

The UDS has a base coat of 1500* black BBQ paint and the top coat is a Rustoleum metal paint. As you can see the black is fine and the red got a bit toasted. Depending on what you want colorwise, I would go with black base and the engine paint for a top coat and be careful not to leave the lid off and let the temp spike on you.

Chavo27 04-20-2009 10:37 AM

I think it just adds character to your drum =>

Barbarian 04-20-2009 11:04 AM

Thanks Chavo, but the original paint job looked so nice to me.

Chavo27 04-20-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 906548)
Thanks Chavo, but the original paint job looked so nice to me.

yeah but not it looks like it's actually been used and not something that just sits around as decoration.

BBQWildcat 04-20-2009 12:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I have been trying to finish this thread for a while but things keep coming up! Love the site by the way Tons of Info on here. I just got my 1st drum on Saturday and i am going to start on it a little at the time. I have a couple of questions...

1. is the red stuff in the drum the liner that i need to burn?
2. How about that rubber looking ring in the lid burn it off?
3. Will acetone or paint thinner help loosen the junk inside, and will it be safe to burn after airing it out after drying, then will it be safe to cook on?
4. does it matter how long the nipples are for intakes?
i have some 1/2 4 inch nipples and i have some 3/4 1 and 2 inchers and close nipples 3/4
which one would be better before i start drilling?

I have a lot of the parts to make it i think.

Thanks in advance guys! You guys are a treasure trove of information

TuckAttachment 26357

Attachment 26358

Attachment 26359

Smokin' D 04-20-2009 01:58 PM

Hello Wildcat. That red stuff looks to be the dreaded liner. Must be burned out. I don't know if those solvents will help but do doubt they will soften anything. I believe the liner is cured epoxy. That gasket needs to go and someone used a heat gun and a small chisel to remove it. The 3/4" close nipples are what I used on mine because they don't intrude into the drum very far and hence won't get in the way when cleaning out the drum in the future. Those are the only answers I can help you with, so good luck with your build.

seattlepitboss 04-20-2009 02:21 PM

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss

Barbarian 04-20-2009 03:19 PM

That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.

Sure beats having the fire department show up.

Thawley 04-20-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlepitboss (Post 906766)
If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner...

460lbs of caustic boiling water on a Costco turkey burner? You've actually done this?

Thawley 04-20-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarian (Post 906857)
That is an interesting way to get the inside paint off. I hope BBQWildcat or anyone that is building a UDS and tries it will let us know and show us the process and results with some pics.

And video please...

http://www.chriscottonmusic.com/Medi...on-youtube.png

Digi 04-20-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

If you want a lazy-man's way to safely remove the liner, first set up an outdoor propane burner. I'm talking about the kind they sell to heat turkey frying pots. Set the drum up on it and fill it with water. Then dump in about half a box of Cascade or Electrasol dishwashing detergent and fire up the burner. It will heat better if you cover it. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down some and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Then shut it down and let it cool. This solution will strip paint, grease, dirt, or oily junk off anything. I use the bottom of a once-lined drum for a cooking grate soaker, and i do the same thing - propane cooker, water, dishwashing detergent. I use a whole lot less dishwashing detergent. After just one time the liner was already falling off. Half a box will knock it out for sure.

After it cools all the way down, bail it out using a 5 gallon bucket and go dump the solution down a (funky) toilet that goes to a sewage treatment plant. Don't dump it outside or into a storm drain. We put dishwashing detergent down our drains every single day, and a little dissolved paint will be filtered right out by the treatment plant. Rinse your drum real well and wipe it out with dry rags. It probably won't need any wire brushing, but if there are any stuck-on spots, they will come off way easier after this soaking.

You'll burn a few $$$ in propane, but you will save yourself a real dirty job and this is probably more environmentally appropriate too.

seattlepitboss

I've seen this movie... The fat guy get's burned... :roll: :mad:

Bbq Bubba 04-20-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

seattlepitboss

You may want to change your name, the feds will be looking you up after reading this.

garyk1398 04-20-2009 07:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got my UDScompleted! Thanks to Pat (Norco), n8man and Barbarian for their help and words of wisdom!