The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

ramrod25 09-12-2008 09:02 AM

Another UDS Convert

:mrgreen: Morning Everyone

Wow - it took longer to read all thru this thread than it did to build a UDS.

After reading all the good info on UDS-es I decided I had to build one. I found a food grade barrel and burned it out, bought a 22" grill at WM and started in on the project.

I made up a charcoal basket that is 12"dia X 12" high and built an angle iron frame to give it 4" of clearance from the bottom of the barrel.

Now, I'm just getting started with smoking and such, so I had bought a SNP at WM - thought I could make it work for a smoker. After several cooks I got it working pretty well - never really right - and it used a LOT of fuel. I was getting ready to haul it into the shop and make some major mods. but having read all sorts of good things about the UDS design, I decided to build one first before modifying the SNP.

I have a BBQ Guru, so I only drilled one hole at the bottom of my UDS so the fan could blow in there, and drilled eight 5/8" holes in the top lid with no smoke stack of any kind.

Well, Thursday night I got home about 10pm and loaded the basket about 2/3rds full of Cowboy lump with a few Kingsford briquettes in there too, oiled up the barrel and set the Guru for about 235 degrees.

Would you believe that 18 hours later - I was just beginning to run out of fuel. AMAZING. The UDS held any temp I set on the guru just absolutely ROCK SOLID. I could raise the temp five degrees - come back hours later and the temp was right where it should be. Lower it five degrees - come back later and the temp was being held perfectly.

The SNP is going to have the firebox pulled off of it and I'll weld up the hole and it will be relegated to grilling. (( In the process of getting into smoking I have also rediscovered just how much better hamburgers and steaks are when cooked over real charcoal instead of propane. ))

Want to thank everyone here who did all the preliminary design worked, and got all the bugs worked out.

I have no anxiety about putting on a brisket before I leave for work and have a cooker/controller system that will absolutely hold the temp perfectly.

Now that I know it works, I'm going to build a stand with a table attached and get the barrel painted and looking good. After I get that done, I'll post some pictures.

Regards
Rodney Wren

Norcoredneck 09-12-2008 09:23 AM

Post pics when it's ugly! congrats on the build.

carpetbagger1 09-13-2008 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After spending way too much time reading this thread I finally built my ugly-fugly drum. Couple additions to it which I'm particularly proud of including a built in bottle opener and a shelf that folds up for easier storage. Burning it out tonight, and plan to do my first smoke tomorrow. One interesting point/question. When we built the drum 5 days ago it was pretty hot and we were sweating. Sweat got on several spots on the interior. 5 days later and all those sweat spots on the interior have developed into rust. Has anyone had problems with rust? Also, any suggestions on what should be my inogural smoke?

N8man 09-13-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger1 (Post 736879)
After spending way too much time reading this thread I finally built my ugly-fugly drum. Couple additions to it which I'm particularly proud of including a built in bottle opener and a shelf that folds up for easier storage. Burning it out tonight, and plan to do my first smoke tomorrow. One interesting point/question. When we built the drum 5 days ago it was pretty hot and we were sweating. Sweat got on several spots on the interior. 5 days later and all those sweat spots on the interior have developed into rust. Has anyone had problems with rust? Also, any suggestions on what should be my inogural smoke?

After You Burn Out The Interior, Wipe It Down and Take a ScotchBrite Pad to those rusty spots on the interior of your DrumPit then rub the interior down with some vegetable shortening or cooking oil. Build you a fire in your fire basket to season it. Might as well not waste that seasoning fire, smoke a couple Fatties on it. And Congratulations on Your Drum Smoker Build...

jrichter52 09-23-2008 08:29 AM

Another UDS !

4 Attachment(s)
First post ! Just completed my UDS. It would not have been built if it was not for the help and advice of the folks on this mother of all forums. I have many “borrowed “design ideas and a couple of original ones.

I am using a Webber rotisserie / extension for a 22.5 kettle on an upside down open top reconditioned drum. Also has a guru pit minder set up. For a basket I used a small tail gate grill bottom with a ****e load of holes and the bottom cut off. I am using 2 racks one 1” down from the top of the drum and one in the middle of the extension. The extension is a tight slip fit. The break-in / burn in went well after I figured the draft control. Spray canola oil was used. Also used all carriage bolts with threaded rod couplers for nuts. I am going to do a Boston but this week end. Sure am looking forward to being able to starting to cook at midnight and going back to bed!

Mark 09-23-2008 08:53 AM

jrichter52

Looks like you made a blower. Can we see some details?

ComputerMike 09-23-2008 08:54 AM

I thought I would add my drum to the list. I did the test burn Sunday and it burned for 17+ hours. It was holding 235 in the rain. Amazing!http://www.majhost.com/gallery/MK-Ul.../drumdone1.jpg

JD McGee 09-23-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComputerMike (Post 744042)
I thought I would add my drum to the list. I did the test burn Sunday and it burned for 17+ hours. It was holding 235 in the rain. Amazing!http://www.majhost.com/gallery/MK-Ul.../drumdone1.jpg

Nice lookin' pit bro...I've got a hankerin' to build another one after lookin' at yours. What are your fire ring dimensions (if I may ask) ?

ComputerMike 09-23-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 744125)
Nice lookin' pit bro...I've got a hankerin' to build another one after lookin' at yours. What are your fire ring dimensions (if I may ask) ?

The grate is the charcoal grate from a 22" kettle so that puts it at 18" I think. The ring is a section from a cheap smoker. I believe its 10" high. I'll take some measurements when I get home.

pepper76usa 09-23-2008 11:48 AM

Hey Man looks great. Here are my two new ones for a comp on 18th of Oct.
http://a496.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...a07397f9a7.jpg

Barbarian 09-23-2008 07:16 PM

Hey Carpetbagger I love that ugly green you got there. Way coooool IMHO.

Jrichter, I like you setup, so the lower rack is about 30" above the fire, should work fine.

Computer Mike drilled all those holes in the basket with that nice expanded metal sitting right outside the garage.

Pepper needs to get those two drums dirty!!!

Great drums guys, drumheads rock!!!!!!!

jrichter52 09-23-2008 07:18 PM

Mark

Blower system is part of the Guru system, It controlles the temps.
check it out here

http://www.thebbqguru.com/

ComputerMike 09-24-2008 08:44 AM

Computer Mike drilled all those holes in the basket with that nice expanded metal sitting right outside the garage.

There isn't enough there for a basket although it does look big enough. There is a huge circle cut out from a previous project. I wanted to scrounge all the parts (at least most) for my UDS and I was sick of waiting for a chunk to show up at the transfer station. The drilling took time but was free and damn it looks good!

Mark 09-24-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrichter52 (Post 744492)
Blower system is part of the Guru system, It controlles the temps.
check it out here

http://www.thebbqguru.com/

FYI here's one I made out of 12VDC computer fans. Total cost under $10.

I wonder how this could be inexpensively converted to variable speed. Then it would function the same as a BBQ guru more or less I guess.

jrichter52 09-24-2008 11:00 AM

Mark

There is a temp probe in the drum by the cooking grate.
That feeds into the Pitminder controller witch in turn tells the fan when to turn on the fan.