The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I think i've narrowed it down... Limo Junior Or Assassin 24 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265045)

willwillx 09-18-2018 02:54 PM

I think i've narrowed it down... Limo Junior Or Assassin 24

About a 1k difference in price. I believe the assassin 24 is 3100 + $400 shipping. I could probably rent a uhaul, not sure on $$ macon isnt that far, if i went the limo junior route. Only 2100, significant weight difference though

Assassin 24 475 pounds, i believe the junior is 290. Any opinions? I wanted a deep south gc 36, but the price just seems too high for me right now. Even used it's over 4k . I suppose if i could of got one for the mid 3s i would of went with that, but after talking with the companies, and reading and reading and obsessing and obsessing and using my smoker i have now. I think either of these units would work for me both as a backyarder. Or if i entered into the weekend warrior catering business. Luckily a relative is a event planner and i can setup at any events for free. Of course, that would mean getting all certed up though.Not in my plans as my main business pays the bills right now.

Anyway, this is about Assassin 24 or Limo Junior, both in my price range, i Love the limo... but 4100 is just too much for me.

I want to future proof my smoker by buying semi big, at the same time from experience, i've not not smoked more than 2 butts,brisket and some beans at once before.So maybe i am being too liberal, and we know how delusional being liberal can be. Right?

Quote:

Assassin 24 Gravity-Fed Insulated Smoker $3100
Details

Interior cook chamber is 24″ x 24″ x 30 ½” tall
4 Racks that measure 23 ½” x 23 ½”
4 rack runners configured bottom to top at: 5.5″, 5″, 4″, and 4”
Hold about 12-15 lbs of charcoal. (Will depend on type and size)
2209 sq.” of cooking surface! (Based on 4 rack use)
Exterior height totals 60” tall
Weight: 475lbs
PIT Master IQ 120
Slam Latch
5” Performa Casters (2 rigid and 2 swivel with lock and brake
Quote:

The Limo Junior - The Limo Junior - $2100
Footprint: 30" x 26"
Height (body): 53"
Height (stack): 65"
Weight: 290 lbs
Cooking Racks: (3,) 19" x 24", or 9.5 sq. ft

Capacity:
9 Boston butts
9 racks of St. Louis ribs
12 racks of baby back ribs
6 brisket packers
24 half chickens
Standard Equipment:
Commercial slam latch
4 D-ring tie downs
Bottom shelf for charcoal or tools
3" polyurethane locking casters
Tel-Tru thermometer
Square charcoal chute
Aluminum diamondplate trim
Digital probe pass-through port
Low profile BBQ Guru fan port
Cross break door for extra strength
Transport handle for easy maneuvering (doubles as towel rack)
Options
BBQ Guru model of your choice
1100 custom paint colors
Stainless Steel cooking racks
Upgraded casters
Transport latch for door

Dweverett 09-18-2018 04:25 PM

Get ready for us to throw 25 other options at you now that you've got it down to two. :evil: Have you considered building a UDS for $26.45 in parts?

Back to the question, that's a pretty big premium for the additional space on the Assassin. I think the Limo Jr. is well laid out for the space in terms of making the capacity usable. Both are great companies. I've cooked for about 100 on my Rec Tec which less space than the Limo Jr. so you're getting capacity that will carry you well beyond the 2 butts you've done to date.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice but I'd probably save the money. If you really wanted to burn the extra grand you could buy a second cooker that would give you flexibility to cook at two temps etc.

pjtexas1 09-18-2018 04:46 PM

Is there enough height to add a 4th rack in the jr?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin89 09-18-2018 07:03 PM

Not one of the two mentioned, but a brethren in NJ has a Humphreys battle box with digi q listed on here for $1200

Wager 09-18-2018 07:13 PM

My neighbor just got an Assassin and after seeing his and seeing the customer service first hand, if I ever have to make another smoker or grill purchase I will go straight to them.

Pappy Q 09-18-2018 07:16 PM

The Limo Jr is a great smoker.

pjtexas1 09-18-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 4069364)
The Limo Jr is a great smoker.

I agree, almost bought one. I liked the size/price.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

buzz53 09-18-2018 07:46 PM

Assassin, as they say you get what you pay for. Jeff is on top of it all the way.

willwillx 09-18-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz53 (Post 4069383)
Assassin, as they say you get what you pay for. Jeff is on top of it all the way.

I've been reading that also, they replied to my email within 12 hours... some have never replied to me.. Southern Q did call me, which was nice 2-3 days later, but still decent. That's why they are on my final 2 list.

willwillx 09-18-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dweverett (Post 4069267)
Get ready for us to throw 25 other options at you now that you've got it down to two. :evil: Have you considered building a UDS for $26.45 in parts?

Back to the question, that's a pretty big premium for the additional space on the Assassin. I think the Limo Jr. is well laid out for the space in terms of making the capacity usable. Both are great companies. I've cooked for about 100 on my Rec Tec which less space than the Limo Jr. so you're getting capacity that will carry you well beyond the 2 butts you've done to date.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice but I'd probably save the money. If you really wanted to burn the extra grand you could buy a second cooker that would give you flexibility to cook at two temps etc.

That's a very good point, i think the assassin does come with a lot of upgrades that others don't, including a stainless steel bottom part of the smoker, for longevity. Only bad things i've read about ASSN is the older models had hot spots. But, otherwise everyone raves. SoutherQ also makes some amazing smokers. $2100 is a good price point,

it is 15.5 vs 9 sqft cooking space. I prefer a wider smoker for more airflow the assassin is 23 1/2 vs 19 . i heard you can ask them to modify the unit to have additional rack placements