The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

4ever3 03-08-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4281212)
Is there still time to jump on board with the MAK group buy? Asking for a friend of course. :cool:

Just call in the morning!

#letsdothis

ssv3 03-08-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4281243)
Just call in the morning!

#letsdothis

I'll let him know. :mrgreen:

rwalters 03-08-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4281168)
Very cool Chris!!!

I did a 45 minute burn in at 450° then 8 hrs at 250°, a couple hrs at 325° then 1 hr at 400°. I’ll be interested to see what the ash buildup looks like underneath!

DANGIT!!! Forgot to put an aluminum pan in the grease drawer, oh well, I’ll wash it out and put it in tomorrow

I’ve never placed an aluminum pan in the grease drawer. Takes me 60 seconds to scrape it out with a putty knife, and then I just scrub the little bit of residue out with hot soapy water. Takes a total of maybe 3 mins, and it isn’t needed very often. Whatever works though :)

rwalters 03-08-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4281175)
That'd be it. Just checked in Tapatalk and the emojis display correctly.

So it’s your problem, not mine? I can live with that... lol.

rwalters 03-08-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281202)
It looks like when I lose wifi it resets the temp to 200? Not sure what's going on. I lost wifi a 3rd time but it didn't reset the temp to 200. I'm not messing with wifi anymore until i call support.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So it has changed temp to 200° during a couple of the disconnects, and another disconnect behaved differently in that it did not set the controller to 200°? It used to be that it would set it to Smoke. MAK owners did not like that. It was recently changed to (I believe) drop to 275° if the set point was higher than that at the time of disconnect. That said, those that have MAK Grills Mobile (WiFi) running with firmware ver. 3.44 have found it to be extremely stable. I almost never see MAK owners struggling with WiFi anymore. There was a time that was not the case.

Safe to assume you are connected to a 2ghz network and not 5ghz. Not even sure you’d be able to connect to 5ghz... but just thought I’d ask. It needs to be 2ghz. Wondering if that brick wall you mentioned could be the culprit. Safe to assume you have the WiFi chip securely in place and the WiFi antenna nice and tight? I know you work in IT... and I am probably preaching to the choir. Just thinking out loud.

rwalters 03-08-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4281248)
I'll let him know. :mrgreen:

Serious?!?! Could it be it’s not really a friend, but YOU?!?! Asking for a friend [emoji851]

Goldenbear 03-08-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281268)
I’ve never placed an aluminum pan in the grease drawer. Takes me 60 seconds to scrape it out with a putty knife, and then I just scrub the little bit of residue out with hot soapy water. Takes a total of maybe 3 mins, and it isn’t needed very often. Whatever works though :)

Nice

pjtexas1 03-08-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281274)
So it has changed temp to 200° during a couple of the disconnects, and another disconnect behaved differently in that it did not set the controller to 200°? It used to be that it would set it to Smoke. MAK owners did not like that. It was recently changed to (I believe) drop to 275° if the set point was higher than that at the time of disconnect. That said, those that have MAK Grills Mobile (WiFi) running with firmware ver. 3.44 have found it to be extremely stable. I almost never see MAK owners struggling with WiFi anymore. There was a time that was not the case.

Safe to assume you are connected to a 2ghz network and not 5ghz. Not even sure you’d be able to connect to 5ghz... but just thought I’d ask. It needs to be 2ghz. Wondering if that brick wall you mentioned could be the culprit. Safe to assume you have the WiFi chip securely in place and the WiFi antenna nice and tight? I know you work in IT... and I am probably preaching to the choir. Just thinking out loud.

No. I wasn't paying attention. It sets to 200 when you push the web control to "on". If it disconnects it keeps your set temp. Yes, 2.4ghz. I tried 5ghz and it isn't any better. Antenna is in tight. Chip is in tight. I'm gonna guess I've got my router locked down too tightly and one of the settings is the culprit. It took me a month to pick this router. [emoji23] I'll probably send the wifi back before I open my router up. I'm just too paranoid. Weird thing is I've got cameras, alarm, light bulbs, and on and on hooked up to wifi. I did notice their list if approved this is very short.

I was just going over the wifi pdf. Sounds like pushing the wrong button on the physical panel while on wifi might be my issue (it will disconnect the wifi).[emoji3061] I really hope that's it because it's a simple fix.
"Step away from your cooker, you farking idiot!" - Mak Grills support team

rwalters 03-08-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281288)
No. I wasn't paying attention. It sets to 200 when you push the web control to "on". If it disconnects it keeps your set temp. Yes, 2.4ghz. I tried 5ghz and it isn't any better. Antenna is in tight. Chip is in tight. I'm gonna guess I've got my router locked down too tightly and one of the settings is the culprit. It took me a month to pick this router. [emoji23] I'll probably send the wifi back before I open my router up. I'm just too paranoid. Weird thing is I've got cameras, alarm, light bulbs, and on and on hooked up to wifi. I did notice their list if approved this is very short.

I was just going over the wifi pdf. Sounds like pushing the wrong button on the physical panel while on wifi might be my issue (it will disconnect the wifi).[emoji3061] I really hope that's it because it's a simple fix.
"Step away from your cooker, you farking idiot!" - Mak Grills support team

Yep, when using WiFi you must control the cooker via MAK Grills Mobile. If you touch the Pellet Boss controller, you’ll basically shut off the WiFi module.

pjtexas1 03-08-2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281292)
Yep, when using WiFi you must control the cooker via MAK Grills Mobile. If you touch the Pellet Boss controller, you’ll basically shut off the WiFi module.

You probably thought I was smarter than that, right? I'll know for sure when I fire it up next time. Might explain why it worked for 6 hours yesterday. People showed up and I wasn't at the grill playing with it.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4280959)
Prior to firmware version 3.44, there was an issue going on last year w/ the WiFi module... timeouts/disconnects being it. MAK Grills really dialed things in with ver 3.44, and that has been noticed by every MAK Grills Mobile owner I have talked with over the past 6 months or so. It has been super stable. I would definitely encourage anyone that is not experiencing that to contact MAK.

If you do call in for support, Dennis is the one you’ll want to connect with :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll check my firmware tomorrow.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenbear (Post 4281015)
Man, I pulled the trigger on a 1 Star 8 days prior to this thread starting. Zero regrets. They still threw me some deals, including a new tool holder for the 1 Star that’s not on their site yet. Happy happy.

That's a sweet setup! I'll be looking for that tool holder too!

rwalters 03-08-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281296)
You probably thought I was smarter than that, right? I'll know for sure when I fire it up next time. Might explain why it worked for 6 hours yesterday. People showed up and I wasn't at the grill playing with it.

Most of the things I share about the MAK Grills I have learned the hard way... don’t feel bad [emoji1306]

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281133)
I need an ash brush. The brush I tried to use didn't work well at all. Definitely easier to clean out than my other pellet grills. Lots of ash though.

Buy a shop vac or ash vacuum. It only takes a few minutes to get up all of that ash with one.

kenrobin 03-08-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281268)

I don't use an aluminum pan either. Putty knife gets the job done quickly just like @rwalters said.