Lang 84 restoration

/dev/bbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've picked up a Lang 84 in somewhat rough shape and hoping to restore it for my use. Lots of rust, mostly surface on the firebox, but some scaling on the outside of the tank/cook chamber as well as the drip pan. Firebox grate is shot, and cooking racks are very rusted too.

I'm considering using a rust converter that has worked very well for me in the past, a "naval jelly" -type product consisting of phosphoric acid that reacts with iron oxide (rust) to produce iron phosphate (a hard metallic surface resistant to rust). Naturally, I'm going to clean up any residue, although both phosphoric acid and iron phosphate are used as food additives (in much smaller quantities!). This would be applied after some light sandblasting to remove any loose rust.

Does anybody have any experience with this technique, and/or would you recommend a different approach? Any/all ideas appreciated!

I'm also thinking of building a charcoal bin/basket and ash tray for longer times between reloading fuel (maybe a stoker or guru too), but that's probably another thread.

-ralph

Attachments

• 100_0357.jpg
    100_0357.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 493
  • 100_0363.jpg
    100_0363.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 100_0364.jpg
    100_0364.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 487
  • 100_0369.jpg
    100_0369.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 485
  • 100_0370.jpg
    100_0370.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_0371.jpg
    100_0371.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 100_0372.jpg
    100_0372.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 481
I tried some of that commercially available rust converter on a firebox, and wouldn't do it again.
If I found a gem like that, I would invest in a thorough sand/media blasting and give it a good paint job outside and re-season the inside. Have some of the "too far gone" pieces fabricated new.
Then stay on top of keeping it painted, especially the firebox. I think some Lang owners hit the exterior of the firebox with some kind of fat after each cook, but I may be wrong.

I picked one up in need of attention also- cleaned out the rust and scale on the reverse flow plate with a wire brush and scraper-also any scale in the inside and cooking racks-fired it up with a small fire and coated the whole inside with lard- your firebox could use some new paint - then a light coat of lard-give it a coat every time you cook-I coat the whole outside with lard(cooking chamber and firebox) when it starts looking dull and looses its shine-give it some elbow grease and you will be suprised at how well it comes back to shape -

Get yourself a twisted bristle brush and a 4-1/2 grinder and go to work. What you save in media blasting will more than pay for it. Then you can get the little crevases blasted for just a little money. Put several coats of some good high heat paint and you will be in business.

Looks like a great project!!!!!!!!!

The inside just looks thirsty, I'd do as above, small fire to get temps going then lard the heck out of it. Outside....media blast or sanding then a good coat of the high temp paint. Firebox....always going to rust. Scott

She does look like a great project!!!

I agree that you should save on the media/sand blasting. The fire boxes just seem to want to rust. What I've gone to is treating the whole exterier like a cast iron pan. I "paint" bacon fat on the fire box every other time I cook and on the rest of the outside when ever it needs it.
If you end up cooking in the rain, you'll find that you are going to need to coat the fire box right away or you'll be back to brushing, sanding, & greesing it again.

You've got a great cooker there and if you have any questions just ask us or give Ben a call down at Lang.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Thanks for all the replies!

Just talked to a sandblasting outfit that will hit everything, inside and out, trailer, cook chamber, cooking grates, drip pan, chimney, firebox - everything, for $180.

I paid $1,900 (which I now think was a little high given what I've found underneath the grease), but after a gallon of high temp paint it will all be my labor from here on (will start saving those bacon drippin's!), so still coming out way ahead over a new unit.

And, I get a three day weekend to get it in shape!

Any thoughts on applying high temp paint in high teens / low 20's temps? Should be sunny at least.

Thanks for all the replies!

Just talked to a sandblasting outfit that will hit everything, inside and out, trailer, cook chamber, cooking grates, drip pan, chimney, firebox - everything, for $180.

I paid $1,900 (which I now think was a little high given what I've found underneath the grease), but after a gallon of high temp paint it will all be my labor from here on (will start saving those bacon drippin's!), so still coming out way ahead over a new unit.

And, I get a three day weekend to get it in shape!

Any thoughts on applying high temp paint in high teens / low 20's temps? Should be sunny at least.

Tell you what I'll give you a cool $2,000 for it right now in the condition it's in...

You should find out what the paint manufacturer says about ideal application temperatures. Keep in mind that the item you are painting needs to be at that temperature too.

Otherwise, you may be wasting your time and money.

Good luck, and keep the progress posted!

My gut is that the temps you are expecting are a little low.. Check the can before you start. I'm guessing it should be in th mid 70's.

My gut is that the temps you are expecting are a little low.. Check the can before you start. I'm guessing it should be in th mid 70's.

Dive is wise!! Always read the label, I think it would need to be at least above 40 degrees... otherwise it will just flake off real soon...

Tell you what I'll give you a cool $2,000 for it right now in the condition it's in...

:biggrin: LOL! Naw, been looking forward to having one of these for a long time.

The low tonight is 13, tomorrow night 11. I may have to delay the sandblasting till next week, which is a bummer cause I was really looking forward to getting it fixed up over the weekend and making some smoke on Mon. :cool:

If so, maybe I'll just fire it up, brush the grates, and hit it with Pam in the meantime - and do some ribs! :-D

Friend has a heated garage that he doesn't mind getting paint drips/overspray on, but can't use it till Sun. morning. Think it would be OK for a day and a half, covered with tarp, till we could paint?

Still scheming... :)

Last edited:
Back