• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electric smoker as a warming oven?

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used an electric smoker as a warming oven? I am thinking about getting a cheap electric smoker to use for long holding of big cuts of meat. Any brands and models would be helpful. My oven only goes down to 170 and it doesn't seem to stay real close to that. Thanks.

I have 2 older model cookshacks SM08 and not only are they great smokers but are great for holding. The self contained insulted interiors lend themselves nicely for that use.

I'm sure the newer ones would work just as well.

I have used my Masterbuilt Electric to hold briskets, fill water pan and set temp to around 180-190 and it keeps brisket around 160. Works well.

I'm sure they will work fine as long as you have a low temperature setting.

I use a 24" wide Camp Chef propane smoker as a portable holing oven for large gatherings events where there is no oven. It hold 4 full size pans easily. This works fine for my needs, just keep an eye on the temperature so you don't continue to cook the meat (overcook). Depending upon how the smoker is constructed, you may have to rotate trays/pans for even heating of multiple pans.

Check out the Smokin Tex Pro Series electric smokers, there are several models to choose from. A local caterer used them for on-site holding and cooking as some safety meeting lunches. I don't recall which model I saw but the temp range was from like 150° to 250°. Their cook told me they are a prime rib cooking machine and I would tend to agree as I smoke my prime ribs at 225°.

This thread prompted me to buy this thing on the relatively speaking cheap.

I have a spot dedicated for my cambro as part of my outdoor kitchen, and I am going to replace it with this thing. Hopefully it works because a) it fits and b) it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. I've so many times wished I had a warming drawer or equivalent of this thing versus sweating the timing on big meats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5GKJJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably try putting a couple of small pans under the bottom shelf full of water to keep it humid too.

I have a spot dedicated for my cambro as part of my outdoor kitchen, and I am going to replace it with this thing. Hopefully it works because a) it fits and b) it is a lot cheaper than the commercial ones. I've so many times wished I had a warming drawer or equivalent of this thing versus sweating the timing on big meats.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5GKJJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll probably try putting a couple of small pans under the bottom shelf full of water to keep it humid too.
That's really nice. A little more than I wanted to spend though.

sure

u could drill a hole in an old metal file cabinet and stick a heatgun in it. for catering hotels its just a bunch of Sternos (methanol gel cans u light on fire) in a big metal box on wheels

Has anyone ever used an electric smoker as a warming oven? I am thinking about getting a cheap electric smoker to use for long holding of big cuts of meat.

Yes. It passes a health department inspection as well. I think it’s a Masterbuilt, but it’s a pretty cheap one that only holds half pans.

Last edited:

That thing it pretty sweet! I've been looking at food warming drawers for outdoor kitchen. All are more expensive and way less functional than that. I may have to go that route as well. Maybe post a thread on it if you don't mind after using for a bit!

A guy on the Facebook is selling a masterbuilt 30 in electric smoker for $75. I can probably get it for around $50. What do you guys think about it?

THANK YOU for posting this! This is exactly what I need!

Dying to know how you like it! Please make a new thread and give us the lowdown!!

Out of the price range for this project, but my Cookshack SM066 works great for both finishing (sans wood chips) or for holding, as it will go down to 140 and can hold automatically if I’m finishing something big overnight and the meat hits a set internal temp.

I re-purposed it for this once I got my stick burner, as I like the flavor from burning sticks much better, and it allows me to spend a few quality hours drinking & feeding the fire & infusing smoke into one or more large pieces of meat, followed by letting the electric handle the boring job of finishing the cooking while I sleep or whatever.

Back