The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foil Hat Rub (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989)

bigabyte 04-06-2011 09:21 AM

Foil Hat Rub

Apparently, I am never going to find the correct combination of time and money to make up all the batches of rub I need to. I am taking this to mean I shouldn't try getting in the rub selling business.:doh:

Therefore, I have decided to share this recipe with everyone. I have wanted to share it for a long time but felt maybe I could use it to make some spare change. I have learned that some things are more important than trying to get this thing going.:becky:

This is the culmination of all of my experiences, from all of ingredient experiments (just do a search for threads I started with the word "experiment" in the title), and from sampling (truly) hundreds of rubs, and doing side by side comparison cooks over the last 7 years.

This is truly my favorite rub, but I could of course be biased. There is one other rub that me and my family also like a lot, but it is not commercially available and sent to me in a Brethren trade by Vosholl Vulture. If you ever get the chance to try his rub I would recommend giving it a shot. Commercially, I have tons of replies in threads asking what everyone's favorite rubs are, and I have never lied, those are my favorites, and I am proud to say that of the top 10 of my favorites, and of the ones I keep a regular supply on had, all of them are Brethren products with the exception of Smokin' Guns. My Brethren fav's are Plowboy's, Simply Marvelous, 3Eyez, Butcher's BBQ Honey, and Smokin Okie's Rooster Booster. If you have not tried any of these products, you should.:thumb:

This recipe is simply listed in "parts". The size I have always used for personal use and when sending to others is 1 part equals 1 tablespoon. This makes enough to fill a typical shaker bottle and even have some extra. A double batch will fill one of the big, tall containers.

12 Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Szeged)
6 White Cane Sugar
6 Brown Cane Sugar
6 Kosher Salt (Morton's)
6 Herbamare
2 Granulated Garlic (Tones)
2 Onion Powder (Tones)
2 Chili Powder (Williams)
1 Lemon Pepper (Tones)
1 X-Hot Barker New Mexico Chile Powder (Da Gift Basket)
1 Dulse graunules (fine particles)

About the oddball ingredients that maybe you are unfamiliar with...Herbamare and Dulse granules.

I find both locally at Whole Foods (or Whole Wallet depending on your perspective), but can find better deals online but have never pulled the trigger on that.

Here is where I have found the best online deal for Herbamare:
http://www.vitaglo.com/av412131.html

Also, I order my chile powders (all sorts) from Da Gift Basket... http://www.dagiftbasket.com/index.php?cPath=164_165

One VERY important thing...The Dulse Granules are not the same as Dulse Flakes. Dulse Flakes are a larger size (think fish food flake size). Dulse granules are much smaller, more like the size of the particles in your other rub ingredients. It is important to get the smaller granules. If you use the flakes (like Gore did) then the flakes will linger on your tongue giving an aftertaste that Gore and his family refer to as "fuzzy". I would agree with that. My using the smaller flakes, they blend in with the rub and impart the correct umami flavor it is intended to give, without any fuzzy aftertaste. So if you are looking for online deals, MAKE SURE it is GRANULES not FLAKES.

bluetang 04-06-2011 09:29 AM

How cool is this. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us! Cannot wait to try it.

1FUNVET 04-06-2011 09:30 AM

I'll start gathering the ingredients and give it a try. Thanks for posting.

PS-My wife won't let me wear my foil cap anyone unless the aliens return for me. :shock:

jestridge 04-06-2011 09:47 AM

Sound like it would be a good rib rub

bigabyte 04-06-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 1602355)
Sound like it would be a good rib rub

Yeah, I like it on pork and chicken the best. I use it for pretty much everything except brisket. My favorite brisket rub is basically pretty much the same as shown in my basic brisket tutorial...I sprinkle on a layer of this stuff, then the 7-Pepper blend, some Canadian Steak Seasoning, and Black Pepper. I do the same for steak, but lighter. It's kind of a multi-layer thing I guess, but not composed of specific mixtures for each layer really except maybe the rub at the beginning. That's what I like best on brisket anyways. YMMV.

Smokey Al Gold 04-06-2011 10:11 AM

Thank you! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been waiting for this :-D

Gore 04-06-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1602340)
One VERY important thing...The Dulse Granules are not the same as Dulse Flakes. Dulse Flakes are a larger size (think fish food flake size). Dulse granules are much smaller, more like the size of the particles in your other rub ingredients. It is important to get the smaller granules. If you use the flakes (like Gore did) then the flakes will linger on your tongue giving an aftertaste that Gore and his family refer to as "fuzzy". I would agree with that. My using the smaller flakes, they blend in with the rub and impart the correct umami flavor it is intended to give, without any fuzzy aftertaste. So if you are looking for online deals, MAKE SURE it is GRANULES not FLAKES.

Fuzzy kind of grows on you. :becky:

Bill-Chicago 04-06-2011 10:12 AM

How much MSG should I add?

1FUNVET 04-06-2011 10:18 AM

Vitacost shows a dulse powder. Would that be the same as the granules?
I was ordering the herbamare from them and if it will save on shipping.

R2Egg2Q 04-06-2011 10:20 AM

:icon_bugeyed:jaw: Wow! Thanks Chris!! :whoo:

gtr 04-06-2011 10:23 AM

Thanks for putting that up - how cool! :clap2:

Is this part of the man pig superthingee's mission to spread good eats?

bigabyte 04-06-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98 (Post 1602378)
How much MSG should I add?

None in the rub. The secret is layering. Layer of rub, layer of MSG, layer of galvanized steel powder, then build a UDS to store it in until you are ready to cook it.

bigabyte 04-06-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1602387)
Vitacost shows a dulse powder. Would that be the same as the granules?
I was ordering the herbamare from them and if it will save on shipping.

I honestly don't know. I have only been using this stuff, which labels it as granules. I'm not sure why they would call it particle if it is large flakes. It is possible they are finer than the granules however.

Here is the exact product I have been using...unfortunately it comes in a small container. Fortunately, the recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of it, so this one bottle can make quite a bit of rub.:thumb:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pro.../NF987107S.jpg

bigabyte 04-06-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 1602395)
Is this part of the man pig superthingee's mission to spread good eats?

Yes, good citizen, that and to promote truth in BBQ!

Pork and Away!

1FUNVET 04-06-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1602409)
I honestly don't know. I have only been using this stuff, which labels it as granules. I'm not sure why they would call it particle if it is large flakes. It is possible they are finer than the granules however.

Here is the exact product I have been using...unfortunately it comes in a small container. Fortunately, the recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of it, so this one bottle can make quite a bit of rub.:thumb:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pro.../NF987107S.jpg

OK. I just saw the same one and i'll get it. You have went thru all the effort of trial and error and no sense in me screwing up the ingredients.