The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Dr_KY 12-10-2011 08:55 AM

Just dropped a pork neck in mine after reading this thread. I also get to check out my new butt lifter/ pizza peel. :)

janoba 12-12-2011 10:07 AM

My UDS project

I first want to say that this site is fantastic! I've been thinking about creating my own UDS ever since my brother-in-law introduced me to his, but it wasn't until I found more info than I could ever retain on this thread that really got me into it!

I got myself two food grade barrels with a tan liner on the inside and have already burned out the first one. The weed burner took care of that in no time! I've got my charcoal basket built and will hopefully be cleaning out the barrel with a wire brush on my drill this evening. A quick coat of paint on the outside and final assembly and I hope to have this thing seasoned and smoking by the weekend.

The first one will be going to my dad for Christmas, but I might have to break it in for him before I get it to him... I'll build mine right after that and I'll post pictures as soon as I get them complete. After that I'll be doing some hunting for recipes to use!

Vulcanus 12-12-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoosier1960 (Post 1876356)
@Vulcanus, That should work. I would possibly shave a few inches off the middle section. I think 8" there would work.

Hi Hoosier1960

At the beginning i thought on making of 9" but i realised that I would have a ring of 3" to trow away.
So I thought to use all of 59" or I would make a UDS body of 44" (+4") and the middle section of 8" (-4").
What would you do if you were me?

Thanks to all,
Have a nice day.

Rys06TBSS 12-12-2011 02:32 PM

Finally finished mine... Well at least made it photo worthy.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...-15-28_606.jpg

bigmike 12-12-2011 05:57 PM

I like the cart setup around that! Makes life a little easier I bet!
I'm gonna try and post another pic of mine here and do it right this time

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/IMAG0034.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/IMAG0119.jpg

Hoosier1960 12-12-2011 06:24 PM

@Vulcanus
I was just thinking of the working height. My 55 gal drum is around 39" tall and I have it on a barrel dolly which adds another 3 or 4". I am 6'2", and I would not want that section any higher. You have to decide what is best for yourself. I would just keep in mind what height you will need to load it at and also getting the "lid" section on and off.
Just some things to think about.

Time_1 12-12-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janoba (Post 1878236)
I first want to say that this site is fantastic! I've been thinking about creating my own UDS ever since my brother-in-law introduced me to his, but it wasn't until I found more info than I could ever retain on this thread that really got me into it!

I got myself two food grade barrels with a tan liner on the inside and have already burned out the first one. The weed burner took care of that in no time! I've got my charcoal basket built and will hopefully be cleaning out the barrel with a wire brush on my drill this evening. A quick coat of paint on the outside and final assembly and I hope to have this thing seasoned and smoking by the weekend.

The first one will be going to my dad for Christmas, but I might have to break it in for him before I get it to him... I'll build mine right after that and I'll post pictures as soon as I get them complete. After that I'll be doing some hunting for recipes to use!

When you used the weed burner for the liner did you burn the liner on the inside or heat it up from the outside?

Rys06TBSS 12-12-2011 08:15 PM

I just finished the cart today along with the paint on the smoker itself. It's made of PVC... I'm hoping it holds up to heat. The drum is sitting on alum c channel to help move the heat away. Time will tell if this holds up I guess

janoba 12-13-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Time_1 (Post 1878764)
When you used the weed burner for the liner did you burn the liner on the inside or heat it up from the outside?

I heated it up from the outside as the burner kept cutting out from lack of oxygen. The heat from the outside was still enough to burn most of it out and an hour with a wire wheel on my drill took care of the rest.

I just finished up my first one today and it's heated up and going as I write this. Everything is looking very stable so far with a lot of control over the temperature!

rondini 12-13-2011 10:42 PM

If it was put this way already just consider this revue
Air & Fuel = Fire(temp)
Most of u it sounds like u have plenty of air intake to get hot temps.
That leaves Fuel, are u putting enough hot fuel into your fire basket?
If u want a hot fire, open all air intakes, fill your chimney nearly full.
When good and hot pour onto your cold fuel basket. U should be able
to get over 300* with out difficulty. Now I'm assuming u have the 2"
bung hole wide open.:idea:

sjm845 12-14-2011 04:23 AM

New UDS Blog Post

I did a second UDS article on our blog. I included a short video I found on youtube and some do's/don't that have worked for me in my builds. Finally I showed off what a few motivated and talented people can do with a trashcan. Check it out and let me know what you think.
http://tellyouwhatbbq.blogspot.com/

Skidder 12-14-2011 05:56 AM

**A WARNING** it is never a good idea to burn a barrel from the inside with a weed burner. You can get a sudden flash of high temperature heat or flame blowing out of the barrel into YOU! These things put out a tremendous amount of btus. Please think and be safe nothing we do around here is ever worth getting hurt for.

Time_1 12-14-2011 02:46 PM

Well went and bought a weed burner and began to burn my drum so I could get the liner out of it....

I burned a big spot on the outside and it took the paint off but the liner inside is all black but still there. Tried to hit it with a wire wheel and nothing. Sad to say, but I am giving up on my UDS build until I can find a drum locally that doesnt have the liner inside. Im not gonna spend 5+ hours of my time and my health (the smoke coming from the liner and barrel are no joke) to build this thing.

Only barrels I can find local are brand new unlined and they are $150+. Im not gonna spend that much to make this thing.

Until i find another drum I will continue to read this thread and the forum. Once I begin my build I will make a thread.

Thanks everyone!

:pray:

BigKev 12-14-2011 03:57 PM

Just search for "reconditioned steel drums" or "drum recycler" in the Fresno area. If they are certified, then supposedly all the drums are run through a blast furnace to burn up an residue left on/in the drum and then media blasted to remove all the charred remains.

I was able to get my drum for my R2-BQ UDS project in the LA area from a drum certified recycler (Apex Drum) and got a bare drum off of their processing line before it went through paint. $40 is about the going price for them.

I know a place in Hayward, CA that has them, but there must be a place closer to Fresno. Keep the faith, the drums are out there.

razrbakcrzy 12-14-2011 04:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought a drum from APEX the week before thanksgiving for $35.00 it worked perfect.. Made a UDS for my son in Oceanside...

Look at that 270 deg's no smoke visible in a flash photo at night... now that thin and blue....!