Using a Guru and water?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have noticed that when using my Guru Competitor with water in my Spicewine the Guru does not seem to act quit right but I don't notice anything odd when using the Maverick remote.

Anyone else experience this and does anyone have a solution other than not using water in the smoker to fix it?
Dave

Ok I am just thinking out loud but what if I put the oven probe in something like a turkey oven bag, trimmed down and sealed. That should keep the moisture out and give me the ambient temp of the cooker or am I just wasting my time and a bag?
Dave

Jay and I used Jeff's last weekend at Pleasant Hill.....cleaned the temp probe off and attached to the center of the middle of the 3rd shelf from the bottom (Jeff has 4 shelves)...I stuck another probe (Polder) through a potato and put on the 3rd shelf. Temps were within 3-5* and the door temp was right there too. We did not use the meat probe with the guru.

I think the trick is learning how it works with the spicewine and be willing to make adjustments. Though I liked the covinence of the guru minding the pit temp, I still monitored every 2 hours, and it was a good thing I did.

I am guessing you had water in it, you did not say but thats about what I do only the last time I used water and it seemed to make the fan kick off and on erratically until I took the pan of water out and then it settled down. The Competitor is ok but I wish it had a digital readout, it would make it a lot easier to read.
Dave

Yes, we had water in it....I didn't want to wake Jay up form his beauty sleep like what happened at the AR and cooking with it dry.....

Back