The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help venturing out of gas (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153711)

tonytort 02-12-2013 02:05 PM

Help venturing out of gas

I have cooked with gas grills and smokers for years. Now I want to ease away from gas but maybe not entirely. I am asking for advice and suggestions in buying new equipment. My gas smoker is already at the recyclers and the grill will be there in a very few weeks.

I live in South East Texas, near Houston. I cook steaks, burgers, and fish on my grill. I also rotisserie large cuts of rib-in roast, tinder loins and pork loins on the grill. I smoke whole chicken, pork ribs and pork shoulder/butt on the smoker.

My thoughts are that I would like one unit that will grill with gas or charcoal (two compartments), accommodate an electric rotisserie attachment and have a vertical or horizontal smoker with offset fire box. A lot to ask I know.

I have been quoted a custom price by one of the competition grill makers of $4000.00+++. That's out of my budget. I have seen models at Academy sporting goods and even Sam's club for under $400.00 but they seem flimsy and I am tired of replacing my grill every three years. I am willing to spend up to $2500.00 but would be happy under $1000.00 if I was confident in the quality.

In other words I want it all. I look forward to your suggestions and to contributing to the forum in the future.

landarc 02-12-2013 02:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum, I hope someone can help you. That is a lot to ask of one unit.

IamMadMan 02-12-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2365109)
Welcome to the Forum, I hope someone can help you. That is a lot to ask of one unit.

^ +1 .. I agree

Vision 02-12-2013 02:36 PM

I'd start with a weber kettle and a bag of KB.

DownHomeQue 02-12-2013 02:37 PM

Thats a tall order... if i were you i would consider just getting a sturdy charcoal/wood smoker and a sturdy gas grill.. may be cheaper than getting it all in one..

Bluesman 02-12-2013 02:39 PM

Wow..........With $2500 to spend why not go this route. And this is new pricing.
Weber Performer Charcoal about $329
Weber Rottiserie about $150
Weber Genesis gas about $1000
Weber WSM smoker about $400

This is a bunch of fun for $1880

Pyle's BBQ 02-12-2013 02:45 PM

I feel you you would be better served getting 2 different units. For longevity, I would look at Weber, Big Green Egg and Primo for charcoal. There are plenty of accessories for each of these that would allow you to cook almost anything. For gas, the only ones that I have seen that last are Webers. The nice thing about the Weber gas grill is that there are replacement parts for the one that will wear out.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-12-2013 03:03 PM

Regarding multiple smokers, remember "he who dies owning the most smokers wins."

Seriously though, if you could find one unit that does all you ask, there would be compromises that you shouldn't have to put up with. Two, maybe three smokers with some accessories can get you the best of each type of cooking all within your budget.

Sawdustguy 02-12-2013 03:09 PM

There are no all in one units worth their salt at the $2500 level. As was mentioned two separate grills may be the way to go.

Bludawg 02-12-2013 03:23 PM

Buy welder and hit the scrap yard!

BobBrisket 02-12-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2365170)
Buy welder and hit the scrap yard!

He's not asking for advice on how to build one on his own.

Bludawg 02-12-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 2365173)
He's not asking for advice on how to build one on his own.

I doubt he will find a new unit like he wants at the price point in the budget let alone a used one. When I find my self in this predicament I find it easier to make what I need for about 1/4 of the asking price. I reckon it is my Pioneer spirit of self reliance that was offering such an un politically correct answer.

Woody1911a1 02-12-2013 03:42 PM

first off combination anything is ALWAYS going to be a compromise , and that couldn't be more true than in bbq's . buy a gas grill . whichever suits your fancy and budget .

then figure out what you need in a smoker . me i recently bought a GMG pellet grill and it's f'ing amazing . http://greenmountaingrills.com/products/ . there are many other brands of pellet grills also but GMG fit my budget and needs . they have a great following .

my opinion .

cheers Woody

btw i've been a stick/charcoal offset bbq er for over 12 years and just junked my chargriller

BobBrisket 02-12-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2365187)
I doubt he will find a new unit like he wants at the price point in the budget let alone a used one. When I find my self in this predicament I find it easier to make what I need for about 1/4 of the asking price. I reckon it is my Pioneer spirit of self reliance that was offering such an un politically correct answer.

True, but not everyone has those particular skills.

The big custom smoker places are obviously more expensive.

Is it possible to find someone in your area that does this kind of stuff on the side and still do a custom job for you at a lesser price due to not having the overhead, employees, etc? High schools, Tech Schools do this kind of stuff too for the cost of material and so that they can get the practice on something real. Some times they even have stuff that's already built. On the scrapyard note, they may be able to recommend someone that does this kind of stuff on the side.

That's a possibility as well.

16Adams 02-12-2013 03:57 PM

My Dad taught me to "always buy the least expensive house on the most expensive street". Guess his advice carried over to my cookers. Some I bought new, some Craigslist, and don't think I have 1000$ in all of it. And I use them all. Good luck finding the "one".

I look forward to following this thread to see what you finally purchase. Interesting.