• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"That's sick"

forgiven

Reaction score
Hi guys, tomorrow I will be doing my first ever smoke and it will be on the UDS I just finished. Since finding this site I have been hooked. Last night I told my wife how excited I was to do some chickens on the new smoker and about this new web site I found. I told her I couldn't stop thinking about it and she said, I quote, "that's sick". Well, I hope if I have followed all the sugestions I have learned here she won't be saying that after she trys the chicken.

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

Welcome to the cult! Using a cooker for the first time that you made yourself is exciting isn't it?

You're right, once she tastes that chicken she will be hooked too. Good luck with the cook and post some pics.

You're already ahead of the game as she DID allow you to place a 55 gallon drum in her yard.:heh:

Oh, and I got my wife to join the forum too...now SHE'S hooked.

I plan on putting 4 chickens in brine tonight. Tomorrow I will use 3 different rubs, one without. We have invited friends over to help us test. One will be our Pastor in case we need prayers. Any last minute tips would be greatly appreciated.

When I first started smoking and really getting into it my wife thought I was crazy. Every time we'd go to a store I'd go to the bbq section first. I'd always check out all the rubs at grocery stores. I'd always be looking for ways to get charcoal cheap and wood cheap. This is the first year I've smoked almost every single weekend and you know what that means? We are eating leftover bbq meat all week long. Now she asks me what im cooking on saturdays so she can plan her leftover meals during the week. :) Pretty soon when she says "thats sick" she'll be saying it in a positive way.

Go light on the smoke chunks since chicken absorbs smoke easily. Also cook 'em at 300 degrees or more to help get crispy skin. Don't sauce them until the last few minutes, just to set up the sauce, so the sugars won't burn.

At least that is what I do. I am sure other Brethren will chip in with advice.

Well, one things for sure... You now have the disease, so welcome to the club. At least this is a healthy disease, in that your family will be well fed, and it's not the sort of disease that will get you sent to a correctional facility or prison...:becky:

The most obvious symptom is taking pics of your food. This initially needs to be controlled and discrete, at least for the first few cooks, until the wife and family start to understand. They need to see a few posts and some responding positive comments, not to mention, they are at the same time adjusting to the real good food you are Q'ing! By that time, you can then come out of the closet (so to speak) and shout it out to the whole world!

After that, the next problem is the kit you will be getting... more smokers, every Thermopen colour, lots of knives, commercial size brining buckets, IQ110, extra fridges, a dehydrater, vac sealer, commercial slicer and last but not least... Marty's Handles!:becky::becky::becky:

Good luck with it all... I hope your first smoke is a winner!

Cheers!

Bill

are you spatching the chicken? i have noticed that my drum is slightly hotter in the middle so if you lay the birds with the breast towards the edges with the thighs/legs towards the middle imo you will get moister breasts when the thighs hit the 170 mark.

It may or may not be sick but your in good company :becky:

You're already ahead of the game as she DID allow you to place a 55 gallon drum in her yard.:heh:
Oh, and I got my wife to join the forum too...now SHE'S hooked.

My wife had to be convinced about the UDS.
She watched me build it, thinking she was humoring me...

When I did the first cook, she sat there and watched while I did Spare Ribs and Moink Balls.
The Ribs were better than I've done in a long time.

Next trip to the grocery store she bought 8 Chicken quarters and makings for Fatties.
(Just the two of us)
Great Chicken, and Breakfast Fatties on a Bagel were a real hit.

Now she wants me to build a pavilion and brick the area as a more permanent BBQ station.
I've always been into grilling & smoking under a large Maple tree in the back yard.
More work = Less grass to cut :thumb:

Last edited:
I go to sleep thinking about cooking & wake up thinking about cooking. Same goes for most of the time in between. :crazy:

Brining chix is a good thing to do btw. :thumb:

Go light on the smoke chunks since chicken absorbs smoke easily. Also cook 'em at 300 degrees or more to help get crispy skin. Don't sauce them until the last few minutes, just to set up the sauce, so the sugars won't burn.

At least that is what I do. I am sure other Brethren will chip in with advice.

That's pretty much what I do as well, except I'm usually around 375 or so.

Welcome to the brethren forgiven! I'm just up the road from you a bit.

This site could easily been named The BBQ Addicts instead, it is an addiction. Good luck with the yardbirds and remind her of the "thats sick" comment when she starts making requests for dinner. :biggrin1:

Back