The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Norcoredneck 09-24-2007 03:24 PM

Here comes the Chain Gang! Looks cool.

Brian in So Cal 09-24-2007 05:35 PM

Dude, That is sweet. Reminds me of my steering wheel on my 63 chevy Implala when I was a teenager.

I wish I still had that car.

Norcoredneck 09-24-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal (Post 468310)
Dude, That is sweet. Reminds me of my steering wheel on my 63 chevy Implala when I was a teenager.

I wish I still had that car.

La Bomba mod
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...pala8164-B.jpg

BBQ101 09-27-2007 07:57 AM

:-D Got mine built just have not painted it yet. We fired it up with less than a bag of brickets and it cooked for over 12 hour at 250. Went to ask my kids for my Digi camera to be told it was busted :evil:. No picks for a couple weeks but we like to call the build style Texas Redneck.

turf 09-28-2007 07:54 AM

new here

Folks,

this is a great board. I can't believe it took me so long to find it. Anyway, thanks to all for the great ideas here in this thread. I have been looking for a good food grade drum for about a year now, since I saw the BDS. This week, I called a bakery supply dealer and he has 4 food grade drums that I can have, just need to pick them up. My wife is not keen on the idea, but it will give me a project. She thinks that 3 charcoal grills, one charcoal smoker and an electric smoker are more than enough, but we all know differently, don't we?

Turf

jgh1204 10-01-2007 03:49 PM

Once you get the UDS made you can eliminate some of those.

tntitan 10-01-2007 03:53 PM

i dont even look at buying another smoker since i built mine

tntitan 10-01-2007 08:45 PM

this thread is so popular i think they should put this in the top thread what do you guys think

turf 10-02-2007 01:16 PM

well, I have destroyed the electric smoker for parts. so it is no more.

I have done some preliminary shopping and got some supplies, I will start the process of building it tonight. the barrell is a closed top, so I will cut it off, and since I am cutting from the top, the lid will no longer be any good, but I think I found a flat lid for it. I also tried my webber lid and it fits perfect. I will take pictures tonight of what I am starting with and take pictures throughout the build. I am super excited. a bit of construction on the UDS, a beer, and then a bit of darts and a beer, and then a bit of construction on the UDS, A Beer.... and so on.

jgh1204 10-02-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tntitan (Post 472277)
this thread is so popular i think they should put this in the top thread what do you guys think

This thread is already road-mapped.

bmarley5780 10-03-2007 02:03 PM

Would like to know if anyone has stacked two drums togather without welding, and have have success.

Where exactly did you cut them?

N8man 10-03-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarley5780 (Post 473229)
Would like to know if anyone has stacked two drums togather without welding, and have have success.

Where exactly did you cut them?

Check out Brother Keale's Thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=27259

Browser 10-04-2007 03:54 AM

This has probably been asked before, but why are BDS’s/UDS’s and their various offspring so fuel efficient when compared to, say, an offset? The thing that put me off building an offset was the need to re-stoke the things regularly, whereas the UDS is well known (following Bigmistas method) for it’s ability to be loaded with unlit coal, dump a chimney-load of lit on top, load the meat when temps are correct and then leave to cook, apart from checking the meat now and then. Must be a reason, does anyone know what it is?:confused:

Norcoredneck 10-04-2007 04:09 AM

Air control. For the same reason a Klose pit will be more efficient than a cheaply made offset. The better control of air you have the better control of temp. If you read all the bandera info they talk about making gaskets to seal up everything. If you read all the post about Spicewines and making fire baskets and adding Guru/Stokers they are controlling the burn by contolling the air. If you read about Stumps gravity feed smokers the same here the fuel is stacked in a tube and air control only lets the fire burn so much to control heat.

bmarley5780 10-04-2007 01:58 PM

Anyone have experiance with 8 butts on at once?