The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

Unfathomable Bastid 11-18-2010 01:48 PM

Brisket on the UDS - a recipe?

So now that my rig is built and tested, I plan on putting this thing to work for real on Sunday with a 10lb brisket (nothing like starting out shooting for the moon!).

Apologies if this is a tad off-topic, but I only saw ONE recipe for a UDS-made brisket in the forums, and I was wondering if you pros out there can direct me to something that's a LOCK on making my wife stop rolling her eyes about my UDS (named "Black Magic").

I see non-descript rubs. A few marinates. But it's impossible for a newb like me to put it all together with confidence.

Thoughts?

-Bastid

Smokin' D 11-18-2010 04:03 PM

Well you Dirty Bastid, nothing is a lock when it comes to smoking meat but I'll throw something at you. Since this is your first, go with a simple but tasty mix of salt and pepper as a rub. No need to inject, you want to see how the brisket cooks without too much confusion from outside sources. Trim off some of the outside fat cap so you have about 1/4" of evenness all over. There is a vein of fat between the flat and the point. Trim out a lot of that so when finished, the brisket sits nice and flat on the cutting board. Put the brisket in the drum fat side down and let it cook at around 250° till you have an internal temp around 165°. At that point put the brisket in a foil pan, fat side UP and add some liquid. Beer is a good choice here. Use good beer though it will be worth it. Put a tight foil cover over the pan and put the meat back in the smoker. Start probing the meat for tender around 195° internal. When your probe slides into the meat with little to no resistance, aka like Butta, you are done. Let the meat rest for an hour or two foiled and in a cooler and then you will be good to go. That's as much as a lock as I can give. The rest is up to you. Good Luck!

Unfathomable Bastid 11-18-2010 04:10 PM

Thanks Smokin' D! I'll take that advice!!!

One question. Just about EVERY blog or site I've seen suggests smoking the brisket fat-side UP. You're saying the opposite until late in the process. Is there a specific concept I'm missing here?

-Bastid

Smokin' D 11-18-2010 04:19 PM

Fat up, fat down. The eternal argument. If I'm cooking in my off set it will be fat up. In the drum, or WSM even, I always go fat down. Gives the meat a little insulation from the heat coming from below. I assume you are doing a whole packer? Another trick to try would be laying a few slices of beef suet right on the flat part. Never tried it with brisket, but just did some venison and it came out great!

Going fat up when it is in the pan with the brazing liquid helps to tenderize the meat to a great degree.

HarleyEarl 11-18-2010 05:28 PM

I just finished my first UDS - nothing extravagant - just basic. Doing a trial burn right now and the temp is holding steady at 250 with the outside temp at 42. This weekend I'm going to throw on some pork trimings to season it before trying quality meat. Hope to use it next season during contests.

boakley 11-18-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyEarl (Post 1461176)
I just finished my first UDS - nothing extravagant - just basic. Doing a trial burn right now and the temp is holding steady at 250 with the outside temp at 42. This weekend I'm going to throw on some pork trimings to season it before trying quality meat. Hope to use it next season during contests.

Good to hear Earl. I finished my first one about 3 weeks ago, it's been hot more than it's been cold lately. Now the wife understands all the time spent in the garage and all the noise. Enjoy!

boakley 11-18-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid (Post 1460805)
So now that my rig is built and tested, I plan on putting this thing to work for real on Sunday with a 10lb brisket (nothing like starting out shooting for the moon!).
-Bastid

The most important part is to not forget to take pictures and post them for us! :-P

Paul B 11-18-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stglide (Post 1460227)
Where did you get your stove gasket? I went to a local dent and repair shop and found an old stove door and got one, but would like to have a supplier for a backup on my next build...

A local fireplace supply and assoc. store. Not cheap stuff...don't remember the price per foot but I remember taking a deep breath.

Paul B
SS UDS

Paul B 11-18-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkerw (Post 1460558)
Success on my first smoke with the new UDS. I did some pork spare ribs, temps were hard to keep down for some reason....i wanted it at 275 and my UDS was stubbornly holding at 300-350 for a large amount of the time. It all worked out in the end but i don't know how i'm going to get it to hold a temp as low as 225. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my charcoal basket being too large in diameter (i used the small rack from a weber and did the entire circumference and about 8" tall). Anyways, Thanks everyone for the great info on this thread, i absolutely love this thing.

On another note, Can anyone tell me how long and what temp i should do a pork butt at and possibly some wings as an snack? What should the internal temp of a butt read when its done?

Hot and fast or low and slow???
Should read about 200* maybe plus or minus.
Ok, hot and fast 350* for about 5 or 6 hours or.....
11 or so hours at 250*.
My non culinary palate can't tell the difference, go figure. So guess what I now use to cook butts................

Paul B
SS UDS

trza 11-18-2010 11:40 PM

I did my first UDS brisket last weekend.

My wife says that direct heat in the UDS creates a smokey flavor that is too strong and bitter. Since brisket is expensive and a happy wife keeps me happy, I smoked it in a broiler pan with 1:1 water/apple cider vinegar below the rack.

Temp: 250ish. About 45 minutes per pound until the probe went in really easy. I then let it rest for 30 minutes or so before slicing.

Unfathomable Bastid 11-19-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boakley (Post 1461180)
The most important part is to not forget to take pictures and post them for us! :-P

Way ahead of you, boakley. I'm actually planning to film the process and post on Youtube. At that announcement, Mrs. Bastid declared that I have serious mental problems, and that she wishes I had as much compulsion to fix the screen door as I do to "cook big hunks of meat..."

I've decided that people with vaginas just don't understand this.

-Bastid

barkerw 11-19-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul B (Post 1461233)
A local fireplace supply and assoc. store. Not cheap stuff...don't remember the price per foot but I remember taking a deep breath.

Paul B
SS UDS

Lowes carries 2 different size fireplace gaskets also, about $6-7. Comes with the cement. Its over by the fireplaces (go figure) kind of by the yard tools.

Another quick question on the pork butt, after you pull it apart....you just mix in some bbq sauce of choice or is there any other secrets?

Smokin' D 11-19-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trza (Post 1461422)

My wife says that direct heat in the UDS creates a smokey flavor that is too strong and bitter.

And I would agree with her. That is why a diffuser plate is a VERY good addition to a drum. The one I use sits right on top of the 12" tall charcoal basket and is full of holes. Works great. Here is the picture for your info.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...b/P1130261.jpg

Unfathomable Bastid 11-19-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 1461582)
And I would agree with her. That is why a diffuser plate is a VERY good addition to a drum. The one I use sits right on top of the 12" tall charcoal basket and is full of holes. Works great. Here is the picture for your info.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...b/P1130261.jpg

Hmm... don't have time to fabricate a diffuser plate before this weekend's smoke of a 10lb brisket. Would it be a better play for me to smoke the beast in a throw-away tin pan to avoid direct heat and smoke? I don't want Mrs. Bastid complaining of it being bitter or too smokey!!

-Bastid

jcinadr 11-19-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trza (Post 1461422)
I did my first UDS brisket last weekend.
My wife says that direct heat in the UDS creates a smokey flavor that is too strong and bitter.

It is good to play around with the wood you are using for smoke (or even the lump you are using). It is very easy to overdue it with mesquite.

My wife is complaining a lot less since I cut the smoke level down (lump w/o wood). That said, I enjoyed 100% pecan wood - sweeter and less intense than mesquite. I also moved the UDS so she would not see the smoke - think that helped a bunch too (make sure NO smoke drifts near your door - and don't check on it much or she will smell it in your clothes).