Pellet smoker

Nokare

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am in the market for a pellet smoker. A few years ago I sold my linestar grillz insulated cabinet before moving cross country.

After the move I picked up a GMG pellet and used the thing like crazy due to the ease. The build quality bugged me out the gate and eventually it stopped working.

I am looking for a replacement/upgrade of higher build quality than the gmg. I loved the LSG IVS and see they are coming out w a pellet soon. Chris has said they are their 20" offset with a pellet hopper. The 20x42 will weigh 445 lbs, which I read as quality.

Are there any other smokers I should look into? I have checked out Yoder and MAK.
Budget isn't much of a concern. I am not spending 10k though lol.

Welcome to the Brethren! After having owned 20+ cookers over the past 25 or so years, the MAK 2 Star has been my all-time favorite grill/smoker to date. Personally, I think you’ll be hard-pressed to beat a MAK :)

i am a proud yoder owner and i love them. The mak grills are quality built from what ive heard.

If you just want a smoker, and aren't interested in grilling, look at the Cookshack FEC100. Mine is 13 years old and going strong!

I have a Yoder YS640s on comp cart on the way. Yoder and MAK pretty much lead the top tiers. Rec Tec's Bull is a nice product, but I don't like their marketing/lifestyle videos personally, which ultimately led me away from that. Grillbillies in Wendell isn't too far from you and they are a Yoder, GMG, Myron Mixon dealer so you may be able to head there to put your eyes on some of those.

I am looking to smoke and grill on it.

If grilling is a requirement, then here’s something to consider and decide which works best for you.

Pretty much every pellet grill that has grilling capabilities has a portion (often very small) dedicated for high heat cooking. That works for some. As far as I know, MAK and Weber are the only pellet grills on the market that offer grilling capability across the entire cooking grate. If you are grilling for more than just a few people, IMO having the full grate to use is a huge deal. Just something to consider. I’d be very cautious with Weber right now as they are new to the market and working through some fairly significant design issues.

If grilling is a requirement, then here’s something to consider and decide which works best for you.

Pretty much every pellet grill that has grilling capabilities has a portion (often very small) dedicated for high heat cooking. That works for some. As far as I know, MAK and Weber are the only pellet grills on the market that offer grilling capability across the entire cooking grate. If you are grilling for more than just a few people, IMO having the full grate to use is a huge deal. Just something to consider. I’d be very cautious with Weber right now as they are new to the market and working through some fairly significant design issues.

Ditto! I grill more than I smoke & my MAK 2* grills great. The build quality is great, the company is great & this grill just works! Glad I bought it!

I'd consider a kettle with grillgrates for grilling ... it's pretty easy ... and I like it better as my pellet grill you have to take it apart in order to grill. A nice flat top is also great for griddling a lot of stuff. Good luck and adventure.

I love my Blaz’n Grand Slam, but I can’t recommend it for grilling. It’ll get to 450F, but doesn’t really do a great job. For smoking it’s fantastic and is built like a tank. If you can afford it, a Mak 2 is pretty awesome. My GS was about $1200 when I got it and that was at the top of my price range. If you can swing the Mak 2 price, I’ve never heard a bad word about them.

Pitts and Spitts makes a mighty sturdy grill. It’s got the trapdoor grill feature. If you need smoking capacity, hard to beat Pitts and Spitts offerings. Probably the best direct grill pellet on the market is the Fast Eddy PG500. But it doesn’t have that much capacity to smoke. I have never seen a MAK. Wish I did but if budget isn’t an issue I really doubt you could go wrong with a 2*. It would be at the top of my list. I will be interested to see what the LSG comes out like. Seems pretty feature laden per their website!

MAK and Yoder, you can't got wrong. Just to throw something out there...I have a MAK2 and just got a Masterbuilt Gravity Fed. If versatility is what you're looking for, along with good smoke flavor and ease of use, it's hard to believe how well the Masterbuilt performs. And believe it or not, it's easier to use than a MAK2. Plenty of stuff on YT. Just a thought...

That MB has a good price point. I like how fast they get hot. If it was a little bit better quality-wise, I’d have one in a heart beat!

On my GMG I ran some grill grates and had no issues grilling on them And I never used the direct grill feature, I just cranked up the heat. Curious to exactly what issues you have had grilling on a pellet cooker.

Curious what issues you guys are talking about having grilling on a smoker. On my gmg I had some grill grates that I would regularly grill on. I never used the direct grill feature, just cranked the heat.

I'm new to the forum. But I've had an old (from Oregon old) Traeger BBQ075 for going on 15 years now. Some of the paint is starting to peel. I've never had a problem with this unit. Never have replaced anything on it. I've kept it in the garage when not in use and I think that helps a lot.

I did a lot of online research and I got down to the Grilla Grills Silverbac (w/AlphaSmoke), the Rec-Tec RT-700, and the Assassin 48" Pellet Grill. Key points for me was I wanted the grill surface/grates to be as large as my old BBQ075 which is 34" W x 15" D x 9"H. Without the second tier racks, the Silverbac didn't have enough space for me. That said, that company does a lot of thing right and makes modifications to make the unit better. Just real good engineering in my mind. They have a good warranty. But the height from the lower grate to the top of the cooking chamber is "just shy of 8 1/2"". Beer-can chicken sitting on a beer-can chicken holder barely fits in my BBQ075 at 9". I worried about that and thus eliminated the Silverbac from my decision...which was hard to do because it's a nice unit for the price and has very good YouTube reviews.

I liked the size of the Assassin but they only have a 1-year warranty, had several caveats to the warranty, and they don't have a "trap door" to empty the hopper. I like to use different flavor pellets and scooping them out isn't what I'd prefer. Also, the grease drip pan doesn't have sides. That bothered me. I don't want grease dripping into the bottom of the smoker. Those were show-stoppers for me. But it is one heckuva well-built unit.

That left the Rec-Tec RT-700 to decide on. So, I drove about 150 miles to Evans GA (Outside of Augusta) just last Friday to look at it in person. I like a lot about the unit...size; the height off the lower grate is only 9 1/2" but that's a hair better than my BBQ075; and a lot of stainless steel construction. I could care less about the 40lb pellet hopper...until I want to do a brisket. I'd like to see a pellet hopper dump option/feature. But the area of the main tier grate is 702"...thereabouts. I liked that a lot. So I bought the RT-700.

So, IMHO, things to determine what you want are (1) the size of the main grate; (2) the height from the main/lower grate to the top of the cooking chamber or the lid opening/hinge; (3) construction of the unit; (4) the electronic/digital controller; and (5) a pellet hopper dump. I've got a big family and the overall size of the main grate is important. That can be a bunch of beer-can chickens, burgers, or slabs of ribs. I'm just not a fan of the upper grates. I have way too much trouble getting stuff in and out when I use them. So I went with a vertical rack for my ribs. The stainless steel construction theoretically should last longer than non-SS. Double-wall construction of the barrel itself is important and won favor with me on the Silverbac.

Final summary...I liked the Silverbac a lot. I just needed more size/cooking area. The Assassin had the size, heavy-duty construction, and nice, easy dual racks...both big in size and 5 3/4" between them...which meant the height from the lower grate to the top of the smoking/cooking area was 11 1/2". That was nice. But the warranty sucked...to say the least. That left me with the Rec-Tec RT-700. It will serve me well.

Reviews of many other units just didn't give me a high level of confidence and that got me down to the three units mentioned above. I hope this helps some.

Like Rick, I too weighed the pros and cons of many units. In the end, for my budget, Rec Tec 590 was the winner. Great warranty, enough room for my needs and I finally got the wifi to work. It works and cooks like a champ!

Like Rick, I too weighed the pros and cons of many units. In the end, for my budget, Rec Tec 590 was the winner. Great warranty, enough room for my needs and I finally got the wifi to work. It works and cooks like a champ!

:thumb::thumb:
Love my 590:-D
DanB

I am the happy owner of a Yoder YS640. Its definitely a premium build cooker and if you are looking for a quality product, it certainly meets the criteria. I don't own a MAK but those I've seen and read about are outstanding as well. The choice between a Yoder and a MAK is not a choice between which is better. Its a choice between two stellar products and you couldn't go wrong with either one.

I love my Yoder and don't mind telling folks about it when they ask. Otherwise I try to shut the fark up and just enjoy it.

picture.php

Back