The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   looking for ideas on pork butt variations (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159534)

ButtBurner 04-26-2013 06:54 AM

looking for ideas on pork butt variations

Gang-

I have done my fair share of pork, how I have always done it is just rub it while the fire is lighting and stick it on and let it rip.

Nothing fancy

Comes out real nice, but I want to change things up a bit this time.

I am cooking one tomorrow, was thinking about rubbing it tonight instead, maybe injecting it with something before I put it on in the morning

suggestions?

Just looking for something different this time

thanks

Swine Spectator 04-26-2013 06:58 AM

Funny- Great minds must think alike. I am doing a butt (or two) tomorrow and was thinking about injecting as well. I always rub'em and smoke'em, but I injected my last whole hog and was really pleased with the results.

Any tips on injections out there?

David
The Swine Spectator

WineMaster 04-26-2013 07:02 AM

When the color is good on the butt, usually about 4-6 hrs in. Foil the butt and put a heavy hand of brown sugar on top along with a 1/2 cup of Jalenpeno Pepper Jelly on top of the brown sugar. wrap it tight and cook till 200.
Yumm

IamMadMan 04-26-2013 07:10 AM

Another thing you can do just for a change of pace, is to make a bucket of curing brine (like a brine for ham), let them cure in the refrigerator. Soak in clear cold water several times, rub them down, and smoke them as you would a pork butt. Essentially you will have pulled ham for sandwiches. This is always a big hit and a change of pace, toast the rolls on the large grill and top with cheddar. Ham is one of those things that is a welcomed change, but don't over do it.

IamMadMan 04-26-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2460919)
Gang-

I have done my fair share of pork, how I have always done it is just rub it while the fire is lighting and stick it on and let it rip.

Nothing fancy

Comes out real nice, but I want to change things up a bit this time.

I am cooking one tomorrow, was thinking about rubbing it tonight instead, maybe injecting it with something before I put it on in the morning

suggestions?

Just looking for something different this time

thanks

For added flavor I have injected them with a combination of rub and fruit juice. Trader Joe's has a red delicious apple juice that is great, and peach nectar is also another favorite of mine to use

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineMaster (Post 2460922)
When the color is good on the butt, usually about 4-6 hrs in. Foil the butt and put a heavy hand of brown sugar on top along with a 1/2 cup of Jalenpeno Pepper Jelly on top of the brown sugar. wrap it tight and cook till 200.
Yumm

This also sound like something I am going to try soon. Thanks for sharing.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 04-26-2013 07:17 AM

BBQChef33's carnitas recipe. This will be my go to recipe when I want something other than some usual butt.

ButtBurner 04-26-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle (Post 2460937)
BBQChef33's carnitas recipe. This will be my go to recipe when I want something other than some usual butt.

where do I find this please

Ron_L 04-26-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2460957)

In the recipe database. I'll send a link via PM. It's hidden due to spammers.

Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:
7 lb Pork Roast, butt or shoulder
2 Oranges -- Sliced
1 cup Cilantro Leaves -- Chopped
1 teaspoon Oregano -- Crumbled
1 teaspoon Cumin -- Ground
1 teaspoon Coriander -- Ground or Crushed
3 Onions -- Chopped
4 lbs Lard

Cooking Instructions:
Place lard in a heavy, deep pot, over medium-low heat. Trim fat from the meat and cut the meat into 3-inch cubes and lightly salt. When the lard has melted, place the meat, orange slices, cilantro, oregano, cumin, coriander and onions in the pot. (Melted lard should completely cover the meat.) Cook over medium-low heat 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The lard will begin to boil after 30 minutes. The orange slices supply the water which allows the lard to boil. Boil gently through the cooking process. As the water gradually cooks away, the temperature of the lard will rise, allowing the meat to brown. Place in baking pan and sprinkle with garlic powder, bake in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes until meat is very well browned. Drain on paper towels. The carnitas, when done, will have a dry, crisp exterior with a moist, succulent, tender interior. Serve as is or shred pork for tacos, tortas, tostadas, or burrito filling. Also is used in many other dishes

NS Mike D 04-26-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2460957)

For changing up pork, I love to totally switch gears and go cuban style, injecting with mojo criollo and rubbing in adobo (that simple) cut down in the wood (just go lump coal). Both mojo criollo and adobo are carried in nearly every Goya section.

Cook hot and fast (although low and slow also works) slice and chop instead of pulling and then get some ham, swiss cheese, mustard, pickles and plain hero/sub rolls and make cuban sandwiches or just serve it plain as peril

use a foil pan to catch all those juices (careful as the au jus can be very salty)

Untraceable 04-26-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NS Mike D (Post 2460967)
For changing up pork, I love to totally switch gears and go cuban style, injecting with mojo criollo and rubbing in adobo (that simple) cut down in the wood (just go lump coal). Both mojo criollo and adobo are carried in nearly every Goya section.

Cook hot and fast (although low and slow also works) slice and chop instead of pulling and then get some ham, swiss cheese, mustard, pickles and plain hero/sub rolls and make cuban sandwiches or just serve it plain as peril

use a foil pan to catch all those juices (careful as the au jus can be very salty)

I was just about to post nearly the same thing. After pulling/chopping, I mix in fresh lime juice, cilantro and green onions as well. Not sure if its authentic but gol dang does it taste "Cuban" to my mn palate

NS Mike D 04-26-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untraceable (Post 2460977)
I was just about to post nearly the same thing. After pulling/chopping, I mix in fresh lime juice, cilantro and green onions as well. Not sure if its authentic but gol dang does it taste "Cuban" to my mn palate

the carnitas recipe (thanks Ron for posting) is along the same line. they will all hit the same high notes on the flavor profile

mojo criollo uses sour orange - also known as naranja ácida, naranja agria or bitter orange. It can be mimicked by using lime, orange and grapefruit juice.

and as you can see from the carnitas recipe, cumin is a key component to that flavor profile (if you are seeking that - while poohbah uses it in his recipe, he's also on record of describing cumins flavor profile as armpit :-D)

Wampus 04-26-2013 08:14 AM

I gotta tell ya, once upon a time I was in your boat.....wanted to try something different so I decided to inject with THIS:

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
Recipe for 2 butts
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup table salt (I either use kosher salt or cut back a little on the table salt)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.

Since I tried it, I've NEVER done butts at home WITHOUT injecting this way.
Easy to make recipe with stuff I pretty much ALWAYS have at home and it makes SUCH an improvement on things.

J-Rod 04-26-2013 08:21 AM

Another vote for carnitas, or a variation of. Last time I did carnitas I found a rub I liked, smoked it for about four hours then into a cast iron pan with the rest of the ingredients and back on the smoker and cooked down to shred tender. That's the cliffnotes version but you get the idea.

I'm in Dearborn too- when's dinner?:biggrin1:

ButtBurner 04-26-2013 11:27 AM

thanks for the great ideas.

jmoney7269 04-26-2013 11:44 AM

I inject my pork butts with 50/50 mixture of fresh juiced honeycrisp apples and pickled jalapeño juice with about 1/4 cup rub bout 20 oz. everyone loves it and I know alot of people that now only do their pork butt this way now. Rub with molases and a little worchestershire first then add rub.