The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

N8man 05-08-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 920056)
You add more wood through a device I call a door.

ROFLMFAO!!!!:biggrin:

JTank70 05-08-2009 09:21 PM

A lot of work for sure.

6 Attachment(s)
Oh Masters of the Drum.

Do you guys think this looks good to go now for seasoning or should I burn it One more time?

It held concentrated mango juice.
It had a light tan liner in it and it burned out nicely on this first burn. I then wire brushed it, washed it with soapy water, brushed it again, the wiped out all the residue with denatured alchohol. phew alot of work.

Do i have to tally up the cost of the beers I drank to get me throught this when I figure the cost of the drum?:eek: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

If it is good to go, what temp and for how long and how many times should I season It before cooking?

I think I am just gonna paint the outside with flat black grill paint. Should I paint the outside before or after seasoning?

I think I read somewhere that someone here just seaswoned the outside of their drum instead of painting it. How do you think this would work? I might be interested in this method instead.

Thanks again guys

Barbarian 05-08-2009 09:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
hey LT,
I was going to post the "bible tutorial" link but Dave beat me to it. I understand your frustration with going completely through the UDS bible, but there is very good stuff in there and it tells you about the failed mods so you hopefully do not have to go through the same problems that others did because they tried to re-invent the wheel. I am guilty of a failure, but my mod was not in the bible but it is now.

Here are a couple other thoughts for you. The easy no weld way to put the intakes in (the shower socket is great for this), my 12" thermo just below the lower grate held nice and level with a hole through the bolt mod and the way I did my grate bolts so that they would be flush on the outside of the drum.

Beerwolf 05-08-2009 11:00 PM

I sure am glad someone came up with the 12" thermometer mod... I put one on my son in law's drum with the drilled bolt mod.. its the catzazz and about 1/3 the cost of the old "stubby" thermometers

Jerry... what are the parts you are using for the flush nuts deal? Im sure they are over the counter items, but Im not wrapping my brain around them at moment.

Radical Rick 05-09-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 920284)
I sure am glad someone came up with the 12" thermometer mod... I put one on my son in law's drum with the drilled bolt mod.. its the catzazz and about 1/3 the cost of the old "stubby" thermometers

Jerry... what are the parts you are using for the flush nuts deal? Im sure they are over the counter items, but Im not wrapping my brain around them at moment.

the 12 inch thermo mod is a great sounding mod, but I would also recommend a temp gage so you'll know what temp your cooking your meat. there is a difference when cooking a butt to say 190 using a 200 degree heat vs 190 using a 300 degree heat. If I am wrong please say so! :icon_blush:

Beerwolf 05-09-2009 08:10 AM

[quote=Radical Rick;920312]the 12 inch thermo mod is a great sounding mod, but I would also recommend a temp gage so you'll know what temp your cooking your meat. there is a difference when cooking a butt to say 190 using a 200 degree heat vs 190 using a 300 degree heat. If I am wrong please say so! :icon_blush:[/quote

You kind of lost me on that one... the 12 inch thermo is used as a temp gauge to monitor cooking temps (i.e. how hot the fire is) A thermo on the meat seems to be a matter or preference as 190 on one butt will not necessarlly yield identical results from butt to butt

DDave 05-09-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 920210)
A Door in a UDS is no longer a UDS.
Forget that crap and follow the instructions.
Otherwise go build whatever ya want.
It won't be a UDS. You'll have to come up with a new name
for the contraption.:wink:

Weiser

Dave, this is in no way directed at you. I agree with ya.

I know it wasn't directed at me.:biggrin: And I'm glad you also posted what I was thinking.:biggrin:

Dave

Norcoredneck 05-09-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weiser (Post 920210)
A Door in a UDS is no longer a UDS.
Forget that crap and follow the instructions.
Otherwise go build whatever ya want.
It won't be a UDS. You'll have to come up with a new name
for the contraption.:wink:

Weiser

Dave, this is in no way directed at you. I agree with ya.

Whoa Pilgrim,
I am very knowledgeable about the type of drum smoker I build. I have made changes, some work work some don't. Won't call myself an expert but willing to share my knowledge. What exactly is a UDS? It is a culmination of ideas that has been shared on this forum. Some have doors, hatches, pans, box's, baskets. Truth be known a UDS like Moink is Brethren birthed term. You will see it on many forums, blogs, articles. The first few UDS's were by Model Maker, Big Mista, and others. JGH 1204 cioned the phrase. To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.

Truth be known what most pigeonhole as a true UDS is actually a BDS clone, some modified some not. To jump on the band wagon and chastise someone for posting an idea in this thread is wrong. It is what it is because of ideas people contributed along the road. Although long, it is worth the read. It helps one understand what ideas have been tried and what the posters results were. Long time posters in the thread (including myself) get a little testy when every 3 weeks the same stuff comes up. It is pretty evident that they didn't put in the time to read the thread because the same stuff gets rehashed over and over. In my advice I have given is always build a simple one, get cooking on it, eat some great BBQ and build another and out cool everyone on that drum. Pass your basic drum on to another friend and spread the love of BBQ.

Norco

jtwisted13 05-09-2009 04:34 PM

^^^^ what Norcoredneck said... i read through the whole thread twice...

i finally finished mine a couple of days ago... she took her maiden voyage today... the only thing i would do differently is to not wait so long to build the next one... i followed the KISS theory and it works great...

proof is in the pictures...

http://i43.tinypic.com/s2sg3r.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/34s5xs7.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/33f5h0i.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/20u1zcw.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2myb4ms.jpg

Meat Burner 05-09-2009 04:34 PM

Good post brother Norco.

RI-Deadeye 05-09-2009 05:35 PM

!st UDS build

Well, I have gone through all 208 pages and I am ready to build. I have procured two Stainless steel drums and the necessary accessories to complete both builds. I am using the KISS method of construction and utilizing my fabrication skills. The two UDS's will be the finishing touches on phase one of my Horseshoe Stadium.

JD McGee 05-09-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI-Deadeye (Post 920580)
Well, I have gone through all 208 pages and I am ready to build. I have procured two Stainless steel drums and the necessary accessories to complete both builds. I am using the KISS method of construction and utilizing my fabrication skills. The two UDS's will be the finishing touches on phase one of my Horseshoe Stadium.

WOW! SS drums...nice! I can't wait to see these puppies...:biggrin:

LT72884 05-09-2009 08:21 PM

So i have read ALOT today and found a couple of items i need to make sure of. First one is zinc coated bolts vs SS. All i have is zinc coated/plated (according to label) bolts and nuts. HD wants 5$ a hit for a 2 inch SS bolt at the location near me. I really dont feel like getting sick from zinc poisoning. Any one research this. I have noticed it is a 50 50 battle. some sya its not gonna hurt, others say it will. Has there been a final conclusion made on this?

thanx

Norcoredneck 05-09-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT72884 (Post 920740)
So i have read ALOT today and found a couple of items i need to make sure of. First one is zinc coated bolts vs SS. All i have is zinc coated/plated (according to label) bolts and nuts. HD wants 5$ a hit for a 2 inch SS bolt at the location near me. I really dont feel like getting sick from zinc poisoning. Any one research this. I have noticed it is a 50 50 battle. some sya its not gonna hurt, others say it will. Has there been a final conclusion made on this?

thanx

If it is what you got to use burn with torch and wire brush. Avoid fumes.

Weiser 05-09-2009 09:00 PM

No Expert here Norco. In fact, most everything I know about these things
has derived from this thread and your contributions to it.

I love experimenting just as much as the next guy, but a door?
Please. Point me to a post on this board where a door has been successfully employed.
This is taking MOINK/Moink to a new level.

Sorry that you may have been offended by my earlier comments
even though I wouldn't classify them as being chastising.
That was not in the context that my comments were offered.:wink:

Weiser

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 920545)
Whoa Pilgrim,
I am very knowledgeable about the type of drum smoker I build. I have made changes, some work work some don't. Won't call myself an expert but willing to share my knowledge. What exactly is a UDS? It is a culmination of ideas that has been shared on this forum. Some have doors, hatches, pans, box's, baskets. Truth be known a UDS like Moink is Brethren birthed term. You will see it on many forums, blogs, articles. The first few UDS's were by Model Maker, Big Mista, and others. JGH 1204 cioned the phrase. To me an Ugly Drum Smoker is a homemade cooker made from a drum period.

Truth be known what most pigeonhole as a true UDS is actually a BDS clone, some modified some not. To jump on the band wagon and chastise someone for posting an idea in this thread is wrong. It is what it is because of ideas people contributed along the road. Although long, it is worth the read. It helps one understand what ideas have been tried and what the posters results were. Long time posters in the thread (including myself) get a little testy when every 3 weeks the same stuff comes up. It is pretty evident that they didn't put in the time to read the thread because the same stuff gets rehashed over and over. In my advice I have given is always build a simple one, get cooking on it, eat some great BBQ and build another and out cool everyone on that drum. Pass your basic drum on to another friend and spread the love of BBQ.

Norco