The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

swamprb 01-28-2007 07:39 PM

Second cook on version 2.0 not really impressed with the drafting, did chicken and fatties yesterday and spares today. Version 1.0 is forlornly sitting on bricks next to the brushpile, may have to give her a second chance. I cut up a drum with the intention of making a spacer ring to make a 43" drum. I put it together and its just too big to deal with.

jgh1204 01-28-2007 10:37 PM

We may to start calling these drums the Babyback Microwave. Did three slabs today in 4 hours, avg temp, about 220. I also did a brisket, 11lbs in 10 hours.

I am using my spicewine charcoal basket and it fits better now that I pounded down the wings on the edges. I set it on two fire bricks.

For anyone building one, I think I would recommend 3 evenly space 7/8" holes about 2" from the bottom.. Four at the most.

I have 4 1/2" holes in the top of the lid, plus numerous 1/4" holes from misplacing the bolt holes to hold the cooking grid. I was using the eyeball it and drill many times method.

I am sure the UDS would work great with a bbq guru.

Smokin Gator 01-29-2007 06:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Alright brethren... I did my first cook on my newly built drum smoker this weekend. I did 2 racks of spares, a nearly 8 pound butt, and one fatty.

I made sure to go to church yesterday and repent as I felt I was cheating all day while cooking. This thing is too easy. I started out with about 14 pounds of Kingsford briqs in the Minion Method. Of that I used about a heavy half started in the chimney. I also added 2 small chunks of hickory and 2 small pieces of pecan. It was unbelievably easy maintain the desired temp. Just get it there, adjust the ball valve a little and it just stays there. I did notice that when I was going to tend the meat the temp would go up quite a bit afterwards. To battle this I found it helpful to close all the intakes for just a couple of minutes before I took the lid off. Then after I was done tending I would reopen and get it right back to where I wanted it. After 12 hours there was still plenty of coals left for another couple of hours. To my great surprise there was also some of the wood chunks left. Still had sweet blue to the end!!

Cooked the ribs 3-2-1. They were fall off the bone good. Next time I will foil for less time to get a little more pull.

The butt took longer than I thought to get to 200 but when it did it was awesome.

Here are some pics:

Attachment 5546
Ribs and fatty... love that pull back

Attachment 5547
Ribs sliced

Attachment 5548
Ready to plate with Cock of the Walk coleslaw and beans flavored with tasters

Attachment 5549
Butt after pulling - sorry for no pic of the butt prepull.... it was getting late!!!

ThomEmery 01-29-2007 07:57 AM

Yes they are easy cooks
As easy as a WSM
But the direct fire effect
is great
Good Lookin Q

iceboxbbq 01-29-2007 08:45 AM

Nice going Smokin Gator food looks great

thirdeye 01-29-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator
Alright brethren... I did my first cook on my newly built drum smoker this weekend. I did 2 racks of spares, a nearly 8 pound butt, and one fatty.

That all looks great! Full slabs were the first cook on my BDS as well. You gotta love that old time pit flavor!!

When I'm turning stuff on one grate only, the fire will settle right back down in a few minutes. When I am turning stuff or rotating both grates I do plug any open vents first to stop that heat surge.

swamprb 01-29-2007 10:48 AM

That's one thing I noticed, and glad you mentioned it, I'll try plugging the vent before I open the lid to turn anything. What about mopping the ribs? Will a mop tend to extinguish the coals?

thirdeye 01-29-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamprb
That's one thing I noticed, and glad you mentioned it, I'll try plugging the vent before I open the lid to turn anything. What about mopping the ribs? Will a mop tend to extinguish the coals?

I'm an old baster and it has never bothered me, but I use lump instead of briquettes. I might get a small flash if the mop has a lot of oil in it but at those cooking distances, that is no problem. I really need a dedicated spray bottle to use.

Piedmont 01-29-2007 11:40 AM

Tough ribs next day?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery
Yea the Drum gives ya that turbo

Have any of you noticed the ribs being tougher the next day (that is, if you have left overs!) after cooking faster on the UDS??

Most of the Rib Joints in and around the Chicago area cook ribs and rib tips fast but if you have leftovers, the next day they are tough. That is the trade off of faster cooking from what I've observed. It would interesting to know about this method.

Smokin Gator 01-29-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piedmont
Have any of you noticed the ribs being tougher the next day (that is, if you have left overs!) after cooking faster on the UDS??

Most of the Rib Joints in and around the Chicago area cook ribs and rib tips fast but if you have leftovers, the next day they are tough. That is the trade off of faster cooking from what I've observed. It would interesting to know about this method.

I'll let you know after tonight about the ribs as we are having leftover ribs and pulled pork.

I just had a sammie for lunch from the butt. It was farkin good!!! Several of my coworkers had a sammie as well and 2 of them said it was the best pulled pork they had ever had. That is some high priase in this neck of the woods!!! Made me dang proud.

thirdeye 01-29-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piedmont

Never noticed any toughness issues and since my drum has so much more room than my Eggs, I usually cook extra so I'll have some to freeze. If I load both grates I can really cook some weight.

To offset the 20 to 30% faster cook times on things like ribs, chicken or prime rib, just go with a lower temp than you usually use. I was warned and it still took awhile for me to get used to it. I almost overdid the two tri-tips in this picture. I didn't stick them until the third flip and when I did they were 115°. The thermometer saved, them and me. I still like cooking butts or briskets in 10 hours so I stay with my usual cook temps on them.

PS .. Keep your eye on fatties, at about 230° pit temp, they will be done in 2 hours instead of 3. You have to turn them sooner too or they can get too dark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...S/1e5e9e1e.jpg

Blutch 01-29-2007 01:43 PM

I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question, but what causes the faster cook times if the internal temp is the same? Is it the direct heat?

Is it the same with the Weber bullet smoker thing with the water pan? Is the taste and texture that much different with the water pan?

B

thirdeye 01-29-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutch
I'm sure this is a stupid newbie question, but what causes the faster cook times if the internal temp is the same? Is it the direct heat?

Is it the same with the Weber bullet smoker thing with the water pan? Is the taste and texture that much different with the water pan?

B

Yes, the direct radiant heat is responsible for the faster cook times in a drum. You have greater distance from the coals to the grate than in a WSM. I don't own a WSM, and have only cooked on one a few times as a helper but in those style of cookers, water pans act as a heat buffer. There are lively debates as to adding moisture as well. The guy I cooked with used sand in his water pan.

Bigmista 01-29-2007 02:16 PM

I also think there is a convection effect in the barrel and the heated air swirls around the meat as well as the direct heat from the bottom. Just a theory though.

Smokin Gator 01-29-2007 03:58 PM

Today I wrote up a materials list and directions in Word for how I built my first UDS. By no means is it supposed to be any better than anyone elses... it is just how mine turned out. As almost everyone had said... I will make a few changes next time!!

If you would like to have a copy I will glady give you one... Just email me.

swamprb 01-30-2007 06:27 AM

Thirdeye- On an average cook using one grate do you cook closer to the coals or at the highest level? The thing I've got to get used to is flipping the meats. I took some leftover spares and added a little apple juice and foiled them in the oven and I think they tasted better than off the grill. Took some to work and nuked em' and they tasted like death warmed over!
I think next cook I'll start the ribs in a rack first

thirdeye 01-30-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Thirdeye- On an average cook using one grate do you cook closer to the coals or at the highest level? The thing I've got to get used to is flipping the meats. I took some leftover spares and added a little apple juice and foiled them in the oven and I think they tasted better than off the grill. Took some to work and nuked em' and they tasted like death warmed over!
I think next cook I'll start the ribs in a rack first

With one grate I put it in the highest position. I have a 43" drum so my high grate is like 30" from the coals. Yep, turning the meats took me some time to get used to as well....

ThomEmery 01-30-2007 08:17 AM

And be quick about that flippin or zoom goes the temp

swamprb 01-30-2007 08:32 AM

Thats the thing, I had to wait for the smoke to clear, just to see where the meat was, and then bam! Temps up! I took a section of a drum I cut up and slid it into the first cooker I built and it was 43" and I kept thinking if was cooking on it I'd need a step ladder and a miners headlamp just to peer into it!

motley que 01-30-2007 08:33 AM

for a butt or brisket, how often do you flip?

thirdeye 01-30-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motley que
for a butt or brisket, how often do you flip?

After about 2 hours, then again around 4 hours.

Bigmista 01-30-2007 10:49 AM

I cant remember flipping...

Norcoredneck 01-30-2007 06:42 PM

Thirdeye, noticed your cooking grate looks as clean as the new one I have in my garage. What do you use to clean it?

thirdeye 01-30-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
Thirdeye, noticed your cooking grate looks as clean as the new one I have in my garage. What do you use to clean it?

Those are the Weber grates, they have that bright finish anyway. It was fairly new in that picture, but I spray them with pam and then wipe them down at the end of the cook when still warm.

swamprb 01-31-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista
I cant remember flipping...

Mista-Are you a mopper or spritzer?

ThomEmery 01-31-2007 08:12 AM

If you use a Rib rack one end of the Ribs will be MUCH more done than the other

Bigmista 01-31-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Mista-Are you a mopper or spritzer?

A spritzer when I wrap. Otherwise, I leave em alone.

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 08:59 AM

FYI... my brother got a Weber Kettle lid by calling Weber directly. I think he said it was $57 or something like that.

ModelMaker 01-31-2007 12:05 PM

I don't know what the difference is but when I pull the lid on my drum the temp always drops then climbs back up. All most all you guys plus the BDS site say the temp spikes when you remove the lid.
The only difference on mine is a door for loading the firebox, but Mistas' drum has a door.
Mista does your temp go up or down?
ModelMaker

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelMaker
I don't know what the difference is but when I pull the lid on my drum the temp always drops then climbs back up. All most all you guys plus the BDS site say the temp spikes when you remove the lid.
The only difference on mine is a door for loading the firebox, but Mistas' drum has a door.
Mista does your temp go up or down?
ModelMaker

Mine does drop while the top is off if that is what you mean. However, when I put it back on I found I get a big spike unless I choked the fire for a few minutes before I opened the lid.

Are you saying that after you put the top back on your temp still drops?

brdbbq 01-31-2007 12:38 PM

What type of businees are you all finding drums at ?

swamprb 01-31-2007 12:44 PM

Version 1 has 4 Weber daisy wheel vents with 3/4" holes and an 18.5" kettle bottom for coals (think BGE) and I had much better drafting and the temps did not really fluctuate that much when I opened the lid and it steadily cruised at 250-275* for over 11hrs. It's a 35" drum.
#2 is a 38" 2 rack clone and I fought the temps every time I turned the ribs. I'm going to tweak it a little and keep see what develops. I put an ad on Craigslist and found a guy that deals in Bee pollen and Echinacea has a supply of unlined food grade drums. $20 each delivered!
Love that smell!

Smokin Gator 01-31-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brdbbq
What type of businees are you all finding drums at ?

I found mine at an industrial machine repair shop. They get mineral oil in the drums. Other places to try: automotive repair shops, recycle centers, scrap metal dealers

jgh1204 02-24-2007 08:29 PM

The brethren microwave kicks butt again. Did 1 rack of spares and 4 slabs of beef ribs. 3 hours. Held 220 steady the entire time.

swamprb 02-24-2007 08:58 PM

2 small briskets getting dusted for Sunday on ol' Ugly!

Piedmont 02-24-2007 09:40 PM

2nd time

Completed a second Q on my drum and results are same as first time, excellant!

Cooked two slabs, great taste and never touch them until they are done!

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 01:09 PM

burn off

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery
You have to burn that off Ol Rocky at BDS earns his money doing just that
nasty job

Thats why he buys new ones now no coating to deal with

I have built a couple of these and they work great. I went to a muffler shop and had them bend a 2 in pipe with a 5 or 6 in end that I welded to the berrel and about a 15 in section pointing up with a plastic ball valave on that. The plastic will not melt from the heat and they are much cheaper than the metal ones. I have a weber 22 in led that fits good for my top. If you want to use a weber lid be sure to take it with you and get a good fit when looking for the barrel, you will be amazed at the slight differents in size.

Anyway I wanted to say I use my weed burner to burn off the outside paint and at the same time I am doing that it will burn off the inside coating as well. The weed burner also can't be beat for lighting the charcoal but you have to take the basket out of the barrel or the flame will blow out. I still burn some wood in it before cooking coated with oil to season it.
Dave

Blutch 02-25-2007 01:14 PM

Mo, I'm not following you on the pipe thing.. do you have any pics?

Also, you have to light the charcoal outside of the drum? If so, you light it in the basket then after it catches you somehow place it in the barrel? I'm missing something I think.

Thanks

B

swamprb 02-25-2007 02:42 PM

Yeah-I don't get how you light the basket outside, how do you get it in the drum w/o getting 3rd degree burns? I once tried to do a Minion start, but trying to dump a flamin' chimney 'o lump on top of the basket convinced me the weed torch is the way to go! The torch will blow out if you get it too close to the coals same with my Egg.http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...b/100_1397.jpg

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 02:51 PM

pipe thing

Quote:

Mo, I'm not following you on the pipe thing.. do you have any pics?

Also, you have to light the charcoal outside of the drum? If so, you light it in the basket then after it catches you somehow place it in the barrel? I'm missing something I think.

Thanks

B

No pics, but the pipe is just an L shap, the muffler shop has bent for me with the short end going into the barrel and the long end upright outside the smoker, cost me about 12 bucks. The ball valve is a tight fit for the one I have but I guess you could have the pipe threaded, just remenber to put the valve on before mounting it to the barrel or you may not be able to screw it on. If the valve is to lose try wraping duck tape or plumbers tape around the pipe end severl times and the valve should screw on to that for a better fit. Next time I may move up to a 2 1/2 pipe and 2/12 valve.

On the basket I have welded a handle that loops over the top just like an Easter basket, then I use a fireplace poker to reach in and hook it to either pull it out or put it back in. Saves you from haveing to reach down so far into the barrel and getting your arm and shrit all messed up, been there done that. Also keep your hands away from the heat.

One other thing. I have a welder but I am not that good with it and barrels for me are hard to weld. So next time I will have the muffler shop weld a mounting plate to the short end of the pipe with starter holes drilled for sheet metal screws and maybe put a neopream gasket, behide that for a good fit.

As far as all the other brackit for the racks and handles I will also drill holes for them, much neater that way, hope that helps. Fun to make and really work great. And I use a metal hole saw to cut th pipe hole, if using a 2 in pipe I would recomend using a 1 an 3/4 in saw. The hole being cut on a rounded surface will be much biger than the 2 in pipe and harder to fill the gap. Gusse you could just cut a squire hole.
Dave

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 03:05 PM

Well my last post well tell you how I did that and thats why I take it out to light it and keep it from blowing out my flam. Also when I light the charcoal I only either light four or five coals in the middle of the pile or four of five on the very outside edge, kind of a version of the Minion Method I guess and I am not sure which is the best way to do it, I experment each time. But the basket is not that hot when I put it back in but I still wear gloves.
Dave

Blutch 02-25-2007 06:41 PM

When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

Mo-Dave 02-25-2007 07:45 PM

Hows your ball joints hanging?

Quote:

When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

The pipe is pointing up with the ball joint on top of that, because I am a fat old man who hates bending over, in the dark. Makes it eazyer to see how much it is open, and I only put one pipe and vent on my barrel. Thats why I don't care for a WSM, which I have had, can't see what the heck I am doing down there.

Fact is, if I have to get down on the floor for any reason I stay down there and make sure there isn't anything else I need to do, while I am there.:lol:

Yes I only light a few coal, either in the middle or on the edge.
Dave

tony76248 03-02-2007 01:41 PM

That was a heck of a thread. Read the whole dang thing too. Nice jobs on your drum smokers!

Azinine 03-02-2007 09:36 PM

ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Mo-Dave 03-03-2007 11:51 AM

Automotive mishap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azinine
ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Just looking at some of my post and some how I refered to the ball valve as a ball joint and so did some others. I hope no one is putting a ball joint on there smoker because you will have to grease it every other cook.:rolleyes:
Dave

Neil 03-10-2007 06:53 AM

Great thread fella's. I picked up a 55 gal. barrell the other day. The company was selling them for $3 with lids. Powder coat paint was in the barrell but in a plastic liner. There is some powder dust residue on the insides but I figure a good burn should take care of any leftover residue. I'll get started on the project as soon as I finish with my taxes.

Cliff H. 03-10-2007 08:36 AM

I just read it myself. Very informative. Has anyone considered cutting out a door on the side for adding coals ?

Also, how about adding a heat sink ?

ThomEmery 03-10-2007 09:08 AM

Cliff there is no need for a door or a heat sink Why make it a WSM?

Cliff H. 03-10-2007 09:14 AM

I just figured if Weber won't bring a 22" WSM to us, We could bring one to them.:shock:

I am very interested in these type smokers and plan to build one this year.